The Alloa Athletic Thread

Evening all

Looking at booking hospitality at The Recs for the new year game for myself and a handful of others.

Couple of questions if I may.

For anyone that's been, is it a decent day out? Food/service decent too?

Any help appreciated, cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

There's different packages so it depends what you're going for. You can get the lounge with buffet and free bar in the portacabin which is really good, or the three course meal and free bar option upstairs in the main stand. In my experience both are excellent and service is brilliant. The three course meal does the job and I think the buffets are either Indian or Italian. May want to get an away fans perspective as well to get the full picture.

There's about 5 pubs all together in Inverurie but it's good enough for a night out.

Great wee town though, everyone's friendly enough.

5 pubs sounds decent enough, with the option to go to Aberdeen if folk feel like it. Cheers, should get yourself along for the game if you're free

So have Alloa managed to hang on to most of last season's squad? How are optimism levels as things stand?

Yes we managed to keep fast Eddie! Optimism levels are high!

So have Alloa managed to hang on to most of last season's squad? How are optimism levels as things stand?

Kept Eddie Ferns, Jason Marr, Graeme Holmes, Iain Flannigan, Steven Hetherington and Isaac Layne. We have also brought Lewis Wilson and Scott Hynd up from the youth team. I would say im happy with the team we have so far now it is taking shape but in this league it will be very difficult to avoid tenth this season.

We have basically kept the players that no-one else wanted, they have either been injured for the majority of last season (Marr and Flannigan) or are gash and lucky to be playing at this level (Ferns and Holmes).

In saying that i think in Lennon we have a manger who is more than capable of keeping us up and this will obviously depend on who else is added to the squad, but i agree with Wilko avoiding 10th spot this season will be hard, but who knows we will just have to see how Livi, Morton and Dumbarton shape up.

We have basically kept the players that no-one else wanted, they have either been injured for the majority of last season (Marr and Flannigan) or are gash and lucky to be playing at this level (Ferns and Holmes).

In saying that i think in Lennon we have a manger who is more than capable of keeping us up and this will obviously depend on who else is added to the squad, but i agree with Wilko avoiding 10th spot this season will be hard, but who knows we will just have to see how Livi, Morton and Dumbarton shape up.

Holmes has gash at this level? ill have what you're smoking

Hadn't realised you'd lost basically your top 8 or 9 players. U think they didn't fancy Lennon or is it all cash related ?

Hadn't realised you'd lost basically your top 8 or 9 players. U think they didn't fancy Lennon or is it all cash related ?

Players were offered money elsewhere that we couldn't match. It was always going to be hard to keep this core squad together another year. It may work out beneficial however, the squad we had was used to playing down the middle with short passes and the only main burst down the side were by full backs but as far as I'm led to believe DL likes to play with wingers so there will probably be a different style of play compared to what we have been used to for the past 5 or so years at Alloa.

Holmes has gash at this level? ill have what you're smoking

Sorry i am forgetting all the games Holmes has bossed and ripped the opposition and his prolific 2 goals in 65 Championship games over the last 2 seasons.

The guy has been a great servant to the club and by all accounts is a great guy which for some means automatic hero status, but we have had nothing from the midfield for a couple of seasons now (neither McCord or Holmes scored a league goal last season), Holmes has been an integral factor of this, not on his own granted but surely a signal that a change in direction is needed. In my opinion he has become less effective as time has went on and would be surprised if is a regular next season, lets face it Lennon benched him for the most important league game of the season last season so that tells its own story.

On refelection Gash a bit harsh but we need better if we are to compete, just my opinion offcourse.