The Alloa Athletic Thread

At least we got there though. Getting pumped in a diddy cup final must have hurt, the definition of a diddy team lies in their thrashing they receive in the competitions peak. Could be worse, could have lost the semi final to you lot.

It hurt all right but at least, as the memories of that dismal performance faded, we could look back on perhaps the most famous night in the club's history in the semi-final. Coming from 2-0 down in the last 20 minutes against Rangers, despite having 9 players out injured, to win 3-2 with superb attacking football, was one of the great nights in Scottish football last year. We could have lost the final 10-0 and we will always have that night. Whereas you can look back on reaching your final through shitfesting past Hibs then managing to lose to a below par, 10 men, knackered Caley Thistle. Thanks for your insightful contribution to the thread though.

Happy to have DC back at the Recs. Could be doing the guy a disservice but I think his career has been blighted a little by poor moves, he should have been playing at a higher level than he has. If he can show the form he did in his previous spell at Alloa we will have a much better keeper than either of the boys who played last season and he will be number 1 ahead of McNeill.

Hopefully a few really good signings in the pipeline.

Edited by Waspie

I had no idea Davie Crawford was still kicking around.

One of those guys who was decent but thought he could play for Arsenal so moved on every summer chasing the impossible dream.

Nae idea what he's like these days but I don't know if I'd be overly excited if we signed him for this level. Is he likely to be first choice?

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

I had no idea Davie Crawford was still kicking around.

One of those guys who was decent but thought he could play for Arsenal so moved on every summer chasing the impossible dream.

Nae idea what he's like these days but I don't know if I'd be overly excited if we signed him for this level. Is he likely to be first choice?

It's a toss up between him and McNeill. I would back DC to be number 1. Edited by Waspy

it was a home game so we havent been up. Theres a wetherspoons called the Gordon Highlander but thats about all I know. We are still deciding whether to stay in Inverurie or head to Aberdeen for a night out when we go up next month for the pre season tour- if you could report back with your experiences that would be ideal

Stay in aberdeen. Quick train ride up to Inverurie and you'll get a better night out and cheaper accommodation.

Plenty pubs in the centre of Inverurie.

Stay in aberdeen. Quick train ride up to Inverurie and you'll get a better night out and cheaper accommodation.

Plenty pubs in the centre of Inverurie.

Cheers mate- accommodation already booked up for Inverurie but just a quick train journey away for a night out in Aberdeen.

Edited by Father Barrys Sign (Top Half)

Last train leaves Aberdeen at half 10/11 I believe, Taxi will be guts of £50 but you get late buses

Where in Inverurie you guys staying? I work in the area so any questions just shout.

Thanks a lot.

Kintore Arms Hotel is where we're staying. Is there enough in Inverurie to constitute a reasonably decent night out? Decent volume of pubs, which ones are good/bad? Any info would be great.

Pubs are all reasonable enough. Won't be any bother. Gordon highlander has a good range of beers and grub, Edwards is a club/bar also so decent. Social club at the ground too. Kintore arms is about 5 min walk from the centre and ground a ten min walk from there.

Really hope DC is our number 1 keeper this coming season. As Waspie says, he'd be playing at a higher level (deservedly so) if it hadn't been for poor choices in the past, perhaps more so by his agent at the time rather than himself.

Really hope DC is our number 1 keeper this coming season. As Waspie says, he'd be playing at a higher level (deservedly so) if it hadn't been for poor choices in the past, perhaps more so by his agent at the time rather than himself.

Nah, always fancied himself as a big shot. Never quite good enough. When he was with us everyone ranted and raved about how good a 'keeper he was but I wasn't all that impressed considering the 'reputation' he came with. He is a decent player but this level might be a step too far at this time.

Pubs are all reasonable enough. Won't be any bother. Gordon highlander has a good range of beers and grub, Edwards is a club/bar also so decent. Social club at the ground too. Kintore arms is about 5 min walk from the centre and ground a ten min walk from there.

Cheers mate. Yeah spoke to guy at social club a few times, he's been terrific. Club opens at 12 so breakfast and a beer or two in there before heading there.

Up until we signed Danny Rodgers, David Crawford was the best keeper we had for a while. A lot of people seemed to take a dislike to him due to the fact he apparently thought he was better than he was, Good keeper though.

I know this is a perception built up from numerous places- never come across that way when I've spoke to him, always a good laugh and didn't seem to be a billy big time. He was brilliant for us when he was last here, and in the handful of games when he's played against us I thought he was excellent.

Crawford just recovered from major knee surgery too, which is why I think McNeil will start in goal- McNeil is also the new goalkeeping coach at the club.

Evening all

Looking at booking hospitality at The Recs for the new year game for myself and a handful of others.

Couple of questions if I may.

For anyone that's been, is it a decent day out? Food/service decent too?

Any help appreciated, cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

Cheers mate. Yeah spoke to guy at social club a few times, he's been terrific. Club opens at 12 so breakfast and a beer or two in there before heading there.

There's about 5 pubs all together in Inverurie but it's good enough for a night out.

Great wee town though, everyone's friendly enough.