New handsets 2016

Mik

I was on a standard pay monthly contract and it came to an end, I wanted a Nexus 4 but they didn't have it in stock so I asked to just cancel the monthly contract and I'd look elsewhere.

The guy talked me into this deal on a monthly sim only deal so I could keep my number and switch to another monthly phone contract when the Nexus 4, or any other phone I liked, was available.

I was paying £35 a month previously for unlimited everything with a Desire HD but he said I never used more than 200 mins a month so struck this deal for me.

This was over the phone so not sure if it is an off the rack deal, I threatened to leave so they gave me a good deal I guess, in the hope that I would commit to another 24 month contract soon after.

Best thing I ever did, just buy my phones when I fancy a change now.

I've been on this deal for over three years, the price has never changed as far as I can remember, certainly less than a pound dearer in that time.

Thanks for that info.

I looked at their website and was confused by the term "all you can eat". It said if you use a hotspot you get a 4gb allowance. Hardly unlimited.

Is that for using someone else's hotspot?

No need to answer that really, I should phone them myself and I will. Today.

Thanks for that info.

I looked at their website and was confused by the term "all you can eat". It said if you use a hotspot you get a 4gb allowance. Hardly unlimited.

3 changed all their new sim only deals about 3 months ago. I got in on the last day for £20 a month, which is unlimited tethering/hotspot with a soft cap of about a terabyte.

Now it is 4gig.

Previously I was £15 payg, and tethered about 60 gig a month, which was against terms and conditions. The rumour was this was going to get stopped (had a couple of 'this is not allowed' browser issues, but restarted connection and it went fine) so I went for the contract to protect my tethering.

As far as I know, you can still tether unlimited on payg but they will pull the plug at some point.

Thanks for that info.

Now you mention it that does ring a bell, I recall once getting a text about going over 50gb, which was due to downloading movies and a box set from SkyGo before going on holiday, can't remember for sure though.

Looking back quickly at bills just now I rarely go over 20gb so maybe there is a cap but I don't get close to it.

And as bing said, it has changed from " unlimited" to "all you can eat" for new contracts this year, no idea what the difference is though.

Unlimited and all you can eat is the same thing.

The diffence with the contracts is new ones get 4gig only available to tether, whereas the old contracts is unlimited tethering to a terabyte or so.

On new contracts you can still go through, say 100 gig a month on your phone, just not allowed to tether more than 4.

• 3 weeks later...

What do we make of the Nexus 6 then? Seems to be firmly in the phablet category with the supersized 6" screen with super HD screen density, and a good whack of processing power and battery to boot. Also is being shipped with Android 5.0 (think it's the first to do so?).

Screen size: 6" AMOLED (Quad HD)

Procesing power: Snapdragon 805 quadcore 2.7GHz (3GB RAM)

Battery: 3220mAh

Software: Android 5.0 Lollipop

Back Camera: 13MP

Front Camera: 2MP

Capcity: 32/64GB

A bit too big for my liking to be honest, and also the FF camera and lack of memory expansion is a bit of a downer for me. Certainly looks the part though. Looking forward to getting my hands on Android 5.0 when the OTA update comes out for HTC.

What do we make of the Nexus 6 then? Seems to be firmly in the phablet category with the supersized 6" screen with super HD screen density, and a good whack of processing power and battery to boot. Also is being shipped with Android 5.0 (think it's the first to do so?).

Screen size: 6" AMOLED (Quad HD)

Procesing power: Snapdragon 805 quadcore 2.7GHz (3GB RAM)

Battery: 3220mAh

Software: Android 5.0 Lollipop

Back Camera: 13MP

Front Camera: 2MP

Capcity: 32/64GB

A bit too big for my liking to be honest, and also the FF camera and lack of memory expansion is a bit of a downer for me. Certainly looks the part though. Looking forward to getting my hands on Android 5.0 when the OTA update comes out for HTC.

i have the 6" lumia 1520 - you really do get used to the size. so much so that sorting out settings for someone on a 4s was torture due to it being so sodding small.

i have the 6" lumia 1520 - you really do get used to the size. so much so that sorting out settings for someone on a 4s was torture due to it being so sodding small.

That's true to be fair, I've done the exact same thing with my One M8 and the girlfriends iPhone. That said, I find the 5" on the M8 to be ample sized as it still fits in my front jeans pocket, but not so much with shorts with a much shallower pocket (infact that's how I lost my phone a couple of months ago!). Good job we live in a country where shorts are worn sparingly :lol:

If i have to use a stylus/two hands to operate that's generally where I draw the line tbh.

Innuendo alarm is going nuts here

That's true to be fair, I've done the exact same thing with my One M8 and the girlfriends iPhone. That said, I find the 5" on the M8 to be ample sized as it still fits in my front jeans pocket, but not so much with shorts with a much shallower pocket (infact that's how I lost my phone a couple of months ago!). Good job we live in a country where shorts are worn sparingly :lol:

If i have to use a stylus/two hands to operate that's generally where I draw the line tbh.

Innuendo alarm is going nuts here

It was my girlfriends iphone I was struggling with, after letting her play with mine for a while, she settled for the Lumia 930, which is 5 inches not 6.

It also does contactless charging and nfc.

Another one for the innuendo bods

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...