The St Mirren 2014/2015 Season Thread

We now have Thompson, Marwood, Campbell, Ball and Reilly as front men, with Teale and Wylde as wide men. We have retained the services of McGinn and McLean, secured Kello again, brought Tesselaar back, got Plummer on loan, and have promoted a few promising youth players into the first team picture.

I am feeling a lot happier about the way the club and manager are going about their business this summer. Hopefully erasing the memories of last summer's transfer window clusterfcuk.

This doesn't guarantee a good season lies ahead, but by Christ, our chances of having a good season are better!

You are clearly struggling to deal with the absence of gingers in the squad this season :lol:

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When talking about the type of players you should be looking for it's always best to make comparisons with Scottish Premiership level players like...Carlos Puyol.

Yeah, that's right I was definitely suggesting we sign Puyol. Idiots...

Scotlands current best centre back, Martin, is a giant 6" tall. If smaller centre backs can succeed throughout football to the very highest level, why can't they succeed in the SPL?

Too testing a question for you? Don't worry,just stick to the fantasy that I was suggesting we sign Puyol.

Yeah Supras is so wrapped up in the strange world of Misc Football he's sort of forgotten you can only afford limited players at this level, and defenders like the ones he talked about simply don't exist at this level.

Of course they exist. Will we get players at the optimal level? Of course not, but relative to their players I'd take the faster smaller centre back that a tall one who can't run.

All of the attributes listed we should focus more on than height, which is pretty irrelevant.

Correct.

And even the mighty Barcelona have had a problem or two over the last couple of seasons as opponents have found out that their lack of height gives them no plan B.

Of course normally their plan A is so good because their midgets are the best midgets in the world.

No plan B? They are the most successful team in the world in the last 7, 8 years.

The height of a player is no longer relevant in football, get used to it. Lets sign good players, before we sign tall players.

No plan B? They are the most successful team in the world in the last 7, 8 years.

The height of a player is no longer relevant in football, get used to it. Lets sign good players, before we sign tall players.

You must have missed them really struggling at points in the last couple of years then.

When they lost the last two Champions League semis they must sure have wished they still had Ibrahmovic on the books.

They've definitely got the best small, skillful, team in the world - but when they've come up against other good teams they've often struggled.

Have Celtic (beaten at home by Morton, losing 4-1 tonight to Legia Warsaw etc) not even held them to a couple of draws recently?

I'm not suggesting height is everything, of course it isn't, but to say it can't be an advantage is being obtuse purely for the sake of it.

Of course they exist

Name one Premiership central defender that matches your description of what you want... "5"10 good defender, who is good in possession, will not be caught out by quick strikers, is good positionally and is an accurate tackler"

Name one Premiership central defender that matches your description of what you want... "5"10 good defender, who is good in possession, will not be caught out by quick strikers, is good positionally and is an accurate tackler"

Ellis Plummer

Hasn't been one since John Potter.

Well it's our last preseason game down in Carlisle tonight, will certainly be our toughest test so far.

TC has done a fair bit of experimentation over the summer with formations and line ups. Tonight I think we will go with the team he plan to start against Motherwell in 8 days.

His main dilemma is a choice of playing Goodwin in defence or in midfield. If he plays him in defence young Declan Hughes - who's had a good preseason - will play in modified.

If he plays him in midfield it will probably mean a centre half pairing of 2 out of 3 of Tesselaar, Williams and Plummer.

Dunno what sort of team we'll have out to be honest - we played Carlisle a few years ago in our final pre-season game and fairly sure it wasn't our strongest side. Certainly don't remember Thompson starting - although that'll be a bit like tonight!

Would you not rather have Goodwin elsewhere than on the pitch - seriously.

He's a hazard to your team, and seems to cost you more points than he gains.

Stop pretending you know the first thing about top flight football, you don't. You proved that when you said this new German from their third tier you have will score more than Billy Mackay.

Toddle off now.

Would you not rather have Goodwin elsewhere than on the pitch - seriously.

He's a hazard to your team, and seems to cost you more points than he gains.

"Seems" being the operative word. You're guessing: he doesn't. I'm comfortable with everyone else thinking he's pish/hating him for being a danger to society and a threat to the survival of mankind generally.

We have a very, very young squad - several youth team players will break through this year, in addition to the players we've brought through in the past couple of seasons. Jim Goodwin is exactly the sort of player we need in our squad. A leader, a niggly b*****d, a protector.

Our main problem has been that he's been the only qualified DM in the team since Shuggie Murray left. Now we have Declan Hughes coming through to provide cover, so JG's occasional suspensions won't harm us as badly.

I know alot, infact.

So Goodwin, i really think you could do better. Don't you?

No you don't.

It's not your fault. Your team has what, one or two seasons at this level in a decade. That's the reason you don't understand football at this level. Your ludicrous statements prove this.

Ergo I don't know much about the second tier, because my team hasn't played there in nearly a decade. I'm sure you're quite the expert when it comes to discussing the merits of Alloa's and Cowdenbeath's players.

Many fans of other teams at this level have said they'd love someone like Goodwin in their team. He has lifted more major titles for us than every Dundee captained combined in the last 40 years. I understand your jealously, just try not to let it get to you.

How does a shambolic bombscare become captain at Coventry and Hibernian?

Nobody is claiming he's Maldini, but he is a decent centre back. If you'd seen what shite Dundee have had at the back in recent years, you wouldn't dispute this fact.

Oh I'm not claiming he's not decent compared to what you've seen at Dundee in recent years. Your club's been a laughing stock for as long as I can remember.

He's a bombscare at this level though. That's why he's playing for you, because no one else in our league would touch him with a ten foot barge pole.

Archived