Partick Thistle General Chatter: 2014/15

Right, see who would we like to sign?

Hearts have binned Hamill, MacDonald and Stevenson. Would take them all. Hamill isn't actually very good at football but he has something that we've missed since Osbourne's injury. MacDonald is a better keeper than both Fox and Gallacher but we won't go with 3 keepers so it's irrelevant. Stevenson has never really impressed me with Ayr or Hearts but he scores goals from midfield (yes, apparently midfielder are allowed to score goals) so he would do a job for us. I know our wage budget will be going up but these 3 were probably on more than we could afford.

According to STV, Ross County have Richard Brittain, Rocco Quinn, Stuart Kettlewell, Scott Boyd, Mark Brown, Brian McLean, Steven Saunders, Michael Fraser, Graham Carey, Gary Glen, Steven Ross, Ben Gordon, Darren Maatsen, Alex Cooper, Evangelos Oikonomou. I don't think Brittain or Carey are actually out of contract but I'd take them both. As I said on the match thread, I'd take Gordon (and Oikonomou, but that'd be doubtful) to replace ATS. Don't think he's as good ATS but I doubt we'll get someone who is, unfortunately. This time last season I was desperate for us to sign Kettlewell, but not now. The rest I wouldn't take.

Kilmarnock have Kris Boyd, Alexei Eremenko, Barry Nicholson, Sammy Clingan, James Fowler, Darren Barr, Jeroen Tesselaar, Ismael Bouzid, Mark O’Hara out of contract. Would take Boyd, obvz. Barr and Clingan too but both seem pretty injure-prone.

Hibs have James McPake, Ben Williams, Kevin Thomson, Paul Cairney, Tom Taiwo, Alan Maybury, Ross Caldwell, Danny Handling, Dean Horribine, Paul Grant. Would take Thomson but I doubt we could afford him or he would join us. I'd love us to get Cairney back and play him in the 'Craigen' role but Archie would need to straighten him out like McNamara did. He's due up in court soon too, apparently.

Dundee have Morgaro Gomis, Gavin Gunning, Ryan Dow, Marc McCallum, Dale Hilson. Would take Gomis. Always thought he was better than Buaben (who I would quite like us to sign). I'd definitely like us to sign Gunning but that ain't gonna happen. Erskine plz 2.

Aberdeen have Russell Anderson, Barry Robson, Nicky Weaver, Josh Magennis, Scott Vernon, Nicky Low, Craig Murray. Anderson would be a decent signing but he'll either to stay on at Aberdeen or retire, Robson too I'd imagine. Vernon, maybe. Magennis is like Elliott, quick, strong and versatile but I'd rather Elliott.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JHS - Capacity 6263

North Stand - Capacity 2014

Attendances over 8277 this season = 0

Attendances 0ver 6263 this season = 4 (Dundee Utd, Hearts, Celtic x 2).

Cost of upgrading Main Stand + (cost of stewarding Main Stand x 18 Home Games) = ???.

If the money saved was spent on better quality players producing better results on the pitch, would you still be as indignant?

JHS - Capacity 6263

Cost of upgrading Main Stand + (cost of stewarding Main Stand x 18 Home Games) = ???.

If the money saved was spent on better quality players producing better results on the pitch, would you still be as indignant?

You've just presented an excellent argument for allocating the northern third of the Jackie Husband stand to most away supports and closing the Main Stand. It's not as though it hasn't peacefully been segregated that way before.

Beattie doesn't give a f**k about the fans.

He showed that with the Rangers vote even when everyone was telling him not to do it.

I'd be surprised if he reverses it.

I thought the club eventually released a statement confirming that we had not voted for Rangers to be parachuted in?

JHS - Capacity 6263

That'd be a fair point if it wasn't for the fact they plan to move the NS fans into the main stand meaning it'll still need stewards and continue to be maintained. Then there's the fact the board were happy enough to spend the money to upgrade the board room and seating area in the main stand for board members so if every decision is simply down to cutting all other costs to increase Archie's budget then they could've stayed where they were in the JHS themselves.

You can guarantee it'll be a similar argument the board will use to try and guilt people into renewing by claiming it's the fans hurting the team by not contributing to Archie's budget.

I thought the club eventually released a statement confirming that we had not voted for Rangers to be parachuted in?

Did they not release a statement on the subject after the uproar but nowhere did it actually say we voted against Sevco?

The Rangers vote was bad, moving Thistle fans from the North Stand for Celtic games was bad, moving us from the North Stand for every game for no legitimate reason is absolute bullshit.

Thistle have been praised more than any other small team for their style of football and our atmosphere. Ruining one of the two things that is getting us positive press while pissing off 20% of your support for no tangible reason is the work of a bunch of morons.

The 'matchday experience' went from being soul destroying to the best since the Shed when it all started 2 years ago against Falkirk. And that extends to all those who sit in the JHS who get to hear a support with some life in it. To take this away right after talking about the importance of the 'matchday experience' is the work of a moron.

The statement was along the lines that the board had agreed that their vote would be against The Rangers being parachuted in. There is a strong suspicion that Beattie took that instruction to the SFA meeting and voted in favour of The Rangers anyway. A secret vote on the day, so only one person knows what actually happened for sure, but it created a bit of animosity at the time.

Union Jack in the ET notes that pyramid - scheme snake oil salesman and occasional centre half Lee Mair is to be binned (good).

Also notes Elliott (hmmm) and Lawless (whit?!) are to be offered new deals.

Finally it also says mcaleer has been offered a new deal but suspect that's a typo as he Tweeted last week he was away. edit: they have now corrected this, he is away.

I've been to a couple of Highland League grounds this season and both had much better facilities than the main stand. It's bad enough chucking away supporters into there, but to expect home supporters to buy a season ticket for the privilege would be asburd.

Union Jack in the ET notes that pyramid - scheme snake oil salesman and occasional centre half Lee Mair is to be binned (good).

Also notes Elliott (hmmm) and Lawless (whit?!) are to be offered new deals.

Finally it also says mcaleer has been offered a new deal but suspect that's a typo as he Tweeted last week he was away.

Glad that Mair is away, it's unfortunate we've got all 3 of Muirhead, Balatoni and Gabriel signed up as it could've been the ideal opportunity this summer to completely change the defence.

Elliott is one who as long as he's happy knowing he'll not be starting much and is on low wages I'm not too fussed about. Perhaps Lawless has had a look around and realised he won't get a better offer than we could give him like he thought he would, I'd still punt him though.

Elliott has improved a lot recently and he can play in a number of positions. I'm not too surprised at that.

I thought Lawless was definitely away. We might as well see if we can get someone better.

Mair is too old for another season but he was a good signing.

A couple of queries.

Does this mean that season ticket holders in the north end of the JHS will not be moved when either of the Old Firm visit? If the answer to that is yes, does that mean that all away teams will get the North Stand and only the North Stand?

If that's what's on offer, as a JHS regular, I'd not be too unhappy.

Chris Jack @Chris_Jack89 4m

#PartickThistle fans should understand club position on North Stand. Reasons for it make sense & it needs to be done. Don't see the big deal

Even *I* see the big deal.

The excuse on the website about the dug-out feeling like they're away from home is nonsense. I think it's more important for a team to shoot towards a goal with its team's supporters behind it. Having an away support behind the goal - and no-one behind the other goal - will have more of an 'away' feeling for a team than the current set-up.

That's why Raith Rovers always try to shoot into their end in the second half, why Ross County always try to shoot towards the Jailend and is part of the reason why County shifted away fans from behind the goal and into the corner of another stand in their last two home matches.

Archived