Clyde Fc 2014-15

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ferguson is a good player on his day. But he's still only 19, and has a lot to learn. We play a system with two wingers who try and beat men and deliver into the box, McColm does it it consistently every week and puts in some fantastic crosses as well as being a very strong runner with the ball, hence why he's our top assister. Ferguson by all means has the potential to become a fantastic player, but he is a while away from reaching his peak. As for Barclay, wonderful shot stopper and has kept us in a lot of games this season, although his all round game lacks for me. How often do you see him coming and collecting cross balls ? His starting position has to be questioned and he is very reluctant to staying in his six yard box and relying to much on his centre half. Far to often we see the ball coming over the top of our defence, meaning defenders being put under pressure by attackers to see the ball out of play for a goal kick, and in the meantime Barclay is rooted to the spot. I suppose it is nit picking to some extent but I expect better from a professional.

Whats the point for a Goalkeeper to come into a crowd of to try and catch/punch the ball with the risk of being barged or pushed and getting nothing. Why not leave to the two 6'3" centre halves to deal with. As for rushing of his line every time a ball is over the top. Did you see the mess East Fife got themselves into during our first game at Fergies goal.

McColm is an extremely limited player. He's easy to defend against if you hit him early, he's not a particularly good finisher or passer and although he does his job defensively he's not as physical as his size would suggest he should be. Unlike Ferguson, he also only runs a fullback on the outside.

However, his ability to carry the team up the pitch and get in behind teams should not be ignored. It's a valuable part of how we play. At this level he's as good a winger as you'll find and I can say with some certainty that the other teams hate playing against him. He definitely should be looking to get more goals.

Barclay is a terrific 'keeper at this level. Last year he apparently stood too far off his line, now he's not coming off it. I'd suggest he's not particularly quick over the ground and therefore it's quite sensible for him to be cautious in coming for balls around the edge of the box.

Jamie Barclay. Player of the year last season. Third Division team of the year. 3rd in the Poy this season just gone despite missing approx 10 games through injury. Started the season better than he played last year. Injury was a set back. But he finished the season the last 6 games especially in outstanding form. Id say hes been as important to us as any outfield player. Imo. Cant think of anyone else id swap him for in 2nd or 1st division

In which case ferguson would also double his tally of assists would he not?

How often does ferguson hit the by line and deliver a ball of the same quality of McColm. Ferguson likes to hide when things don't go his way. What does he offer when he's not got the beating of his man ?

McColm and Barclay are decent players at this level it's the resigning of Scullion and Capuano I am more concerned about both are limited even at this level. I would have rather we took a chance on a couple of unknowns than resign those two.

Both of our wingers are excellent players for this level; McColm is more consistent but Ferguson is far more dynamic and talented. Both are quick, direct and offer something different, and as stated above will worry most defenders they come up against. There's no point really debating who's better because they're both key players for us.

If Ferguson was to move in and assume the McCluskey role, which I think he'd do quite well, we'd need to bring in a good right winger to replace the threat lost out wide. Young is a central player and, although having not seen much of him, I'm not sure if his undoubted ability will be enough given the fact he's not pacey and very slight.

How often does ferguson hit the by line and deliver a ball of the same quality of McColm. Ferguson likes to hide when things don't go his way. What does he offer when he's not got the beating of his man ?

Fergie will be playing full time football in not to distant future something Stuarty will never do ????might get in the way of holidays ????

Funny that there is certain players in our team that can never please supporters. Rave about how good our numbers at the weekend were and a lot of people spent their time absolutely screaming at McDonald and Scullion. It's absolutely ridiculous at times to be honest.

I can't even think of anything to say in reply to that! If you genuinely believe that then I'll leave you to it..

I really despair every time we get into a discussion about Stuart McColm, it's the same couple of posters every time who seem to think that we should have Franck Ribery out on the wing. They're happy enough to criticise McColm - completely irrationally IMO - but I'd like to ask them who they think is any better at this level? Go on, if we're getting rid of this useless lump, who are we going to sign who will do just as good a job for the team?

Funny that there is certain players in our team that can never please supporters. Rave about how good our numbers at the weekend were and a lot of people spent their time absolutely screaming at McDonald and Scullion. It's absolutely ridiculous at times to be honest.

Didn't hear any of that.

I did think McDonald was poor until he moved back to left back. Possibly our poorest player.

I thought that was as good a game as you're ever going to get from Scullion.

Please ensure if he plays, he plays in midfield - NEVER up front.

Got to be honest and say I'm surprised we've kept all 3 of Scullion, Capuano and Gray.

I'd definitely have released at least 1 of them, possibly 2.

As for McColm, I'd definitely keep him.

He is a confidence player though.

Sometimes you can see his head going down whenever he makes a mistake or 2 (and at least 1 guy who sits near me never allows him a second mistake, no matter how well he has played up to then).

So, I would like to see him subbed more often whenever it's obvious his head has dropped.

I think part of his problem is that he plays better away from home, when we counter-attack.

I don't go to many away games, but he was superb at Gala, East Stirling and Montrose - 3 of the games I did go to.

Archived