The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Is Tansey a defensive midfielder? Couple of mates are saying they think he's an attacking player which is what we don't really need.

He sits at the base of our midfield 2 in a 4-2-3-1 normally alongside Draper and dictates a lot of our play regularly taking the ball off the defenders and trying to work it forward. He has a superb range of passing and can keep things ticking over nicely with a few short passes or he can hit a pin point diagonal from one side of the pitch to the other. He obviously doesn't complete all his passes but he's our best passing midfielder by some distance. Good at set pieces too.

He's turned up as a right winger under Hughes where he was like a fish out of water and sometime played behind the main striker but his best position is alongside a defensive midfielder who allows him the opportunity to carry the ball forward to continue to link with team mates to bring the ball up the pitch.

Is Tansey a defensive midfielder? Couple of mates are saying they think he's an attacking player which is what we don't really need.

He's played deeper this season than he did last. He doesn't have Draper's strength and ability to break up play and close down opponents, but he's an excellent passer who keeps the ball well and can dictate play from a deep-lying position. He would certainly free up Shinnie to play left back - I think every ICT supporter is scratching his or her head at the amount of times Shinnie has been played out of position by Aberdeen since he signed.

Tansey hasn't been as good this season as he was last, in common with the rest of the team, but he was outstanding last season - I'd argue that behind Shinnie, he was our most consistent performer, which, when you consider the season we had, isn't faint praise. Will be gutted if he goes.

He sits at the base of our midfield 2 in a 4-2-3-1 normally alongside Draper and dictates a lot of our play regularly taking the ball off the defenders and trying to work it forward. He has a superb range of passing and can keep things ticking over nicely with a few short passes or he can hit a pin point diagonal from one side of the pitch to the other. He obviously doesn't complete all his passes but he's our best passing midfielder by some distance. Good at set pieces too.

He's turned up as a right winger under Hughes where he was like a fish out of water and sometime played behind the main striker but his best position is alongside a defensive midfielder who allows him the opportunity to carry the ball forward to continue to link with team mates to bring the ball up the pitch.

Him alongside Jack or Flood sounds perfect then. More dig about him than McLean and frees him up to play further forward.

I don't understand why we're after him if he's sits deep and dictates play but doesn't break up attacks as that's Jack's role. Unless McInnes is fed up with Jack?

Also Shinnie has been playing in midfield because he's the guy to break up attacks and win balls in the middle of the park. I think it's odd McInnes finally signed a left back to do that also.

I don't understand why we're after him if he's sits deep and dictates play but doesn't break up attacks as that's Jack's role. Unless McInnes is fed up with Jack?

Also Shinnie has been playing in midfield because he's the guy to break up attacks and win balls in the middle of the park. I think it's odd McInnes finally signed a left back to do that also.

I reckon you guys should withdraw your bid for him then.

See, he sounds similar to Jack to me. A player more in the mold/style of Draper is what we need to play alongside Jack and break up the play.

Tansey would be someone to push Jack and compete with him for a place in the team, as well as put us in a position where we have options for that position and not be left trying to shuffle things and plug gaps like we have done with Jack out injured.

Delighted if we do get him, as we do need more depth in both midfield roles for breaking down attacks and controlling possession. We have forward and wide men, just need to solidify the midfield and let Shinnie move to LB permanently.

Definitely strengthens the squad which we do need to do, but not the solution to our midfield issue of often being outfought and outworked