The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Why?
When McInnes was in the same position as Wright, with one of the smallest budgets in the league, the football was turgid and defensive, more so than anything I've seen under TW. 

McInnes took over a side in the Championship and established them in the SPL. The team Wright took over had finished 6th and 3rd in the top tier in the previous two seasons; not exactly the same position.

3 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

McInnes took over a side in the Championship and established them in the SPL. The team Wright took over had finished 6th and 3rd in the top tier in the previous two seasons; not exactly the same position.

McInnes can afford a midfield of Hayes - McLean - Christie - McGinn, Wright has Craig - Millar - Paton - Thomson.

Bigger budget = Better players = More expansive football.

McInnes is a perfect example of that. He had us playing turgid football with no money, once he got money with Aberdeen, he started playing more expansive football. Wrights budget is almost exactly what McInnes' was, and he already has us playing better football, so that suggests Wright would get more expansive with a bigger budget too, no?

McInnes can afford a midfield of Hayes - McLean - Christie - McGinn, Wright has Craig - Millar - Paton - Thomson.
McInnes is a perfect example of that. He had us playing turgid football with no money, once he got money with Aberdeen, he started playing more expansive football. Wrights budget is almost exactly what McInnes' was, and he already has us playing better football, so that suggests Wright would get more expansive with a bigger budget too, no?

Surely Wright has a bigger budget than McInnes did on the back of the cup win and consistent top six finishes?

I do agree with you to some extent though. When McInnes was appointed I was worried that the football was going to be boring as f*ck. It's not been free flowing every week but definitely more expansive than before. I can't see Wright changing the habit of his career so far when he eventually leaves the Saints but he wouldn't be the first manager to.

Recent Sportsound interview with Alex Neill was really good. He was impressive and did think that was a future AFC manager.

No interest in returning to Scotland unfortunately. He said the training facilities and investment in youth was a major part in that.

13 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Surely Wright has a bigger budget than McInnes did on the back of the cup win and consistent top six finishes?

I do agree with you to some extent though. When McInnes was appointed I was worried that the football was going to be boring as f*ck. It's not been free flowing every week but definitely more expansive than before. I can't see Wright changing the habit of his career so far when he eventually leaves the Saints but he wouldn't be the first manager to.

McInnes had a mammoth squad in 2010/11, by our standards. I believe we had six senior strikers that season, and a senior squad of around 25, and then six or seven youth players like May on top of that. The budget is around the same now, its just used better.

Wright doesn't play turgid football though, which is my point. Hes managed us in 152 league games, and we've scored 190 goals in that time, 1.25 goals per game. McInnes at Aberdeen? 249 goals in 195 games, 1.27 goals per game. You're perception of Wright, and St Johnstone, is just utterly blinded by the way we set up against Aberdeen.

McInnes had a mammoth squad in 2010/11, by our standards. I believe we had six senior strikers that season, and a senior squad of around 25, and then six or seven youth players like May on top of that. The budget is around the same now, its just used better.
Wright doesn't play turgid football though, which is my point. Hes managed us in 152 league games, and we've scored 190 goals in that time, 1.25 goals per game. McInnes at Aberdeen? 249 goals in 195 games, 1.27 goals per game. You're perception of Wright, and St Johnstone, is just utterly blinded by the way we set up against Aberdeen.

Influenced maybe but not blinded. Wright absolutely does play turgid football against Aberdeen and is sometimes fairly successful in doing so which is annoying for us Dons fans. I don't doubt that he opens up against smaller sides, I do follow other SPFL games not involving my club.

You cannot argue that there's any evidence of Wright being a more attacking manager though.

Influenced maybe but not blinded. Wright absolutely does play turgid football against Aberdeen and is sometimes fairly successful in doing so which is annoying for us Dons fans. I don't doubt that he opens up against smaller sides, I do follow other SPFL games not involving my club.

You cannot argue that there's any evidence of Wright being a more attacking manager though.

Just now, lubo_blaha said:

I can argue Wright is more attack minded.

Wright and McInnes with a similar budget has seen Wright play a more attacking style.

McInnes was a vastly bigger budget sees him and Wright virtually identical in terms of goals per game.

Obviously, McInnes plays a more expansive, possession based style of football, that doesnt come close to proving hes a more attack minded player. In the four matches this season, Saints have had more shots on target in two. Over the four games Saints have had more shots on target in total, and have also scored more goals.

Everything, on paper, heavily points towards Wright being the more attacking manager.

7 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Especially the one goal you've scored from open play in five games against us this season.

And thus, my point about your blindness due to games against Aberdeen, comes to be the truth.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

And thus, my point about your blindness due to games against Aberdeen, comes to be the truth.

Let's be honest, Tommy Wright is known for having a boring style, whatever St Johnstone fans try to claim. Embrace it man, it's made you consistently one of the best sides in Scotland.

You also compared the record between the sides in your previous post.

Let's be honest, Tommy Wright is known for having a boring style, whatever St Johnstone fans try to claim. Embrace it man, it's made you consistently one of the best sides in Scotland.

This is spot on. Wright has done pretty well by shitfesting games, just embrace it and stop being so precious.

23 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Hes incorrectly known for having a boring style. I can compare his goals per game to Hartley, if you want? (HINT: Its worse than Wrights aswell)

Struggling to understand how a manager whose side has one of the best (I believe its the third or fourth best in the top flight), outwith Celtic, obviously, GPG over the past three seasons is also one of the most negative, tbh.

Tommy Wright would be a decent manager for us. Alex Neil or Jack Ross would be more interesting.

If McInnes does go, I think we should look at managers working in the gulf leagues. That's where the talent is.

He's going nowhere though, because he fucking loves tha dandies.

Hes incorrectly known for having a boring style. I can compare his goals per game to Hartley, if you want? (HINT: Its worse than Wrights aswell)
Struggling to understand how a manager whose side has one of the best (I believe its the third or fourth best in the top flight), outwith Celtic, obviously, GPG over the past three seasons is also one of the most negative, tbh.

Because st johnstone are an absolute bunch of cloggers with a couple of decent footballers chucked in. They are well organised and hard to beat.

9 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

BmmfETghGOPrW.webp