The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Aberdeen got 76 points in the League this season. The highest ever tally from a non OF team. We were 9 points clear of 3rd and 18 points clear of 4th. 
The Celtic team that beat us in the cup final, superseded the best ever league performance by a Diddy club by THIRTY points. Yet Aberdeen gave them a right good game and matched them for long spells. 
This season Aberdeen have done everything they possibly could. This wasn't a decent season. It was a fantastic season. 

Indeed. Had this season played out against Ronny deilas Celtic all could have been very different. We probably wouldn't have won the league but there may have been a trophy in the bag.

Having been born in 1988 this is the best dons side I can reasonably remember. Sad that it looks to be coming to an end.

I just pray we hold onto derek and rebuild again for next season.

14 minutes ago, jim999 said:

Anyone out there know who the little, drunk, ugly p***k with the white polo top who started all the trouble in the Queen's Park Bowling Club yesterday? What an arsehole.
Utterly embarrassing when the old fella working there shouted that the police were on their way, the bar was shut now because of one of your supporters and that we will never be welcomed back. I cringed big time.
Also to the bellend who threw a bottle at the window when an old mannie in his 70's that worked there was trying to calm things down. You are a disgrace.

And to the guy in the bogs who was heard to say that the Inverness Reds were involved in the bother I can promise this is absolutely untrue.
There were roughly 40 Inverness Reds there yesterday and only 4 of them were outside when the nonsense started. I know this as I was one of them.

Really proud of the fans, the team and the display yesterday but the hassle at the bowling club left a stain on the day.

Aye. Obviously Inverness Reds nothing to do with it. Ellon Reds were there and unless they were fighting amongst each other I dont know what other buses were involved. Throwing bottles and glasses into packed crowds is scum behaviour. Could have seriously injured an innocent by stander. No wonder the bowling club said these buses would no longer be welcome as you wouldnt want to be associated with that

Aye. Obviously Inverness Reds nothing to do with it. Ellon Reds were there and unless they were fighting amongst each other I dont know what other buses were involved. Throwing bottles and glasses into packed crowds is scum behaviour. Could have seriously injured an innocent by stander. No wonder the bowling club said these buses would no longer be welcome as you wouldnt want to be associated with that

Thanks for the reply. Inverness Reds do drink like fish but don't cause bother.
You are bang on about the throwing glasses. If I think back to who was all there yesterday I'd say there were at least 10 kids. Can you imagine if a child was hurt? Not only would it be a disgrace but the weegie media would be all over it.

That's shite behaviour. Unfortunately a good number of Dons fans are fannies on the drink. This, plus that long journey down to Glasgow, and the mad rule about alcohol that only means folk drink heaps of vodka instead of beer, means that you always get this pish. Embarrassing.

I too get the feeling that it's an 'end of an era' but I don't think it'll be irreparable. 

Taylor is definitely replaceable, as is Pawlett. It's really just McGinn and Jack we're losing. McGinn's output is phenomenal and we'll struggle to replace him, but if McInnes gets a little bit of cash to play with (and I hope he does) then I trust him to find a replacement. Jack, well we've swapped him for Tansey and it could just mean a different playing style. Shinnie and McLean are still better than him. 

We've got to hope that we try and get Christie in, although that may be pushing it a bit. 

Obviously, I'm not accounting for the manager, Shinnie, Lewis or McLean going, and I expect at the very least one of those will go...

Taylor all but confirming on RedTV that he is off in the summer. I suppose I'll miss him, in a rather strange way. He has copped a fair amount of stick - varying degrees of fair and unfair - but he hardly put a foot wrong yesterday and didn't deserve to be on the losing side (like many of our players). Never got the feeling that he was offering anything less than 100%, so I hope he gets a decent Championship/upper League One gig in England. 

I dont expect any under contract players to leave because I dont seriously believe (see Cardiff, Jan 2017) that anyone will come in and blow us away with their offer for an AFC player i.e. start negotiations at £1m

14 players will be announced as leaving tomorrow.

5 youngsters - normal turnover probably replaced by school leavers and maybe a couple of punts from young guys released from eng prem clubs

Alexander - Rogers comes back as a straight replacment. Probably some wages saved too.

Lennox - no need to replace. Wages saved.

Taylor - We need a new commanding centre half but there are no obvious candidates.

Jack - is replaced by Tansey who might not be as skillful but offers a few different things to Jack. Could be a good change.

McGinn - Dons targeting Shaun Maloney to replace McGinn though there would have to be an understanding he wont be doing quite as much work as Niall does for the team

Shankland - This is where the extra budget might need to be used. A new senior striker. Boyce? May? 

Smith - no need to replace as we have Wright and Ross coming through

Pawlett - someone likes James Craigen from Falkirk could be an interestig squad player

Christie - Would be absolutely brilliant if we could get him back either on loan or permanent. Would be pushing for this.

So

Tansey signed already

Rogers recalled from Falkirk

Shaun Maloney on a free

Christie on a season long loan

James Craigen or similar on a free

Dominant and experince centre half 

New striker

With Tansey coming in, winger, striker and centre half are the priorities. We've got to sign for the starting XI, but if opportunities are out there to augment the squad, then McInnes must take them. I hope he stays to start this rebuild, because if he goes now, next season is basically a write off.

I think/hope he'll stay. He really has been a top manager for us, and he can do much better than Sunderland.

Player wise, I think Tansey is a good signing. Maloney would be good, Christie on loan would be great. GMS now being quoted for down south on loan, but I wasn't sure about him anyway.

I really fancy a trip to Europe, so hoping for someone really shite, from a place with cheap beer.

I've had a great season, I fucking love the Dandies, and I'll see you all in a couple of months.

Stand Free.

2 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

With Tansey coming in, winger, striker and centre half are the priorities. We've got to sign for the starting XI, but if opportunities are out there to augment the squad, then McInnes must take them. I hope he stays to start this rebuild, because if he goes now, next season is basically a write off.

Both maloney and christie are not out and out wingers? GMS or greg stewart maybe?

Centre half is the biggest priority probably

I think he'll try for a new striker probably binning Storey since he doesnt seem to fancy him. Could be one for august 31st though and go with our current three until then

Both maloney and christie are not out and out wingers? GMS or greg stewart maybe?
Centre half is the biggest priority probably
I think he'll try for a new striker probably binning Storey since he doesnt seem to fancy him. Could be one for august 31st though and go with our current three until then

Winger/Attacker. Maloney or Christie would fit the bill, but we'd have to change how we play. Might need to be done though.

I think that Rooney, as much as I love him, has had his weakest season in an Aberdeen jersey and his role in the squad needs re-assessed. For such a good season, team wise, he's been pretty average. Stockley and Storey won't cut it IMO. A top quality, starting striker is needed.

As is a centre half, obviously. Even more so if Taylor goes.

Taylor is gone 100% all we are waiting to hear is if it was his decision or the clubs.

There are no obvious targets for centre half. Lindsay out of our price range, Meekings not looking as good as he did a couple of years back and not really convinced by Devlin.

I'm really really going to miss McGinn. The majority of the time I've supported the Dons we've been pretty poor, even when we've been relatively good it's not been great football. McGinn though was a ray of light at a time of improvement for Aberdeen and he felt like the first cog in creating the team we have today. That bridge from the immediate post-McGhee era to the current McInnes one. I'll miss him massively in a Dons shirt.

3 minutes ago, d31 said:

Taylor is gone 100% all we are waiting to hear is if it was his decision or the clubs.

There are no obvious targets for centre half. Lindsay out of our price range, Meekings not looking as good as he did a couple of years back and not really convinced by Devlin.

What about Sarris from Hamilton? I reckon he'd do alright with decent players around him.

I agree with the above assessment of Rooney. Whilst the consistency of his scoring statistics is undeniably praiseworthy, I would expect almost any worthwhile Premiership striker regularly feeding off midfielders the calibre of Hayes, McGinn and McLean, to name but three, to land a decent return. His appearance from the bench yesterday evidenced some of his limitations - he should have been the primary outlet for our rapidly tiring defence and deep midfield, but he just could not perform the role to the required standard. Whilst it might be correct to argue that this isn't his 'natural game' anyway, I also don't think there is anything wrong with suggesting that - if there is such a player realistically attainable - we should perhaps be open to taking in a better all-rounder for next season (especially for those sorts of occasions). 

In other news, I hear the Daily Mail is reporting that Harry Redknapp was at Hampden yesterday to monitor Jonny Hayes for Birmingham. So we have a few months of those rumours to look forward to again! 

In other news, I hear the Daily Mail is reporting that Harry Redknapp was at Hampden yesterday to monitor Jonny Hayes for Birmingham. So we have a few months of those rumours to look forward to again! 

Hopefully he missed the start and was watching closely when he fucked the pass to McLean.

Tomorrow's Sun newspaper reporting that Celtic want Hayes and are prepared to throw Christie into the deal.

Oooooffft.... Player with resale value vs current hero. Gut tells me no but my head says there should be some thinking. If it's just a season long loan they can f**k off.