The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

6 hours ago, coprolite said:

Can't agree with your closing remarks.  I think there probably is someone who could do better.

The chances of us finding and employing such a person are tiny though. 

Interesting comparison with tangoman though. If i remember rightly he was sacked because of his shit cup record. Should we have stuck with him because he was our best manager (according to miniskirts) for 15 years?

I would stick with DM myself. 10 years ago a top four finish and two semis would have been a rare treat, not a disappointing season.

Was never a fan of tangoman as the football was dreadful to watch and negative - think the fans had enough of his type of football even though he managed to get some decent results and qualified for europe a few times. I've wanted every manager sacked from Portaloo onwards till Derek McInnes came in. 

Edited by betting competition

On 23/04/2018 at 16:43, betting competition said:

Just looking at Aberdeen League Points stats since 3 points was introduced in the Scottish game from the season 1994-1995 (Hopefully correct info below).

36 games a season
1994-1995 - 41 points
1995-1996 - 55 points
1996-1997 - 44 points
1997-1998 - 39 points
1998-1999 - 37 points
1999-2000 - 33 points

38 games a season
2000-2001 - 45 points
2001-2002 - 55 points
2002-2003 - 49 points
2003-2004 - 34 points
2004-2005 - 61 points
2005-2006 - 54 points
2006-2007 - 65 points
2007-2008 - 53 points
2008-2009 - 53 points
2009-2010 - 41 points
2010-2011  - 38 points
2011-2012 - 41 points
2012-2013 - 48 points

Derek McInnes 
2013-2014 - 68 points
2014-2015 - 75 points
2015-2016 - 71 points
2016-2017 - 76 points
2017-2018 - 65 points (4 games still to be played) 

The reason I've done this stats is to wonder why minority of Aberdeen fans want McInnes out when in the 24 years apart from 2 season from Jimmy Calderwood we have got nowhere near the points total that Derek McInnes teams have achieved? 

I suppose some arguments will be that for a few seasons it was a weaker league and many will be unhappy with our record against Rangers/Celtic in last few seasons.  Some may also argue that the football this season hasn't been the level of the last 3 or 4 seasons.   Others may also go on about only 1 trophy won since McInnes come in. 

I've got a feeling this could be Derek McInnes last season in charge of us but I feel he has done a fantastic job and don't think there is anyone out there that can do a better job at present

That is an excellent table of stats, and more of our fans should read it. The reason that some Aberdeen fans want rid of McInnes is that they are Aberdeen fans and that’s what some of us do, moan and complain. I know that it’s a cliche, and I hate cliches, but this is the ultimate “be careful what you wish for”. Derek McInnes needs to be here for as long as possible.

I want McInnes to stay, although I wouldn't be as bothered about him moving on this summer as I would have been last (or to Rangers in mid-season). There is definitely a lack of nuance in the whole debate, though - if you think McInnes has broadly been a good thing for Aberdeen and that sacking him would be very harsh all things considered, you are a 'happy-clapper'; if you acknowledge that the roof wouldn't cave in without him and that there are legitimate criticisms to be made - especially regards recent recruitment and his 'big game' record, you are a 'boo-boy'. As is often the case, I think the truth is somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. 

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

The problem isn’t losing McInnes it is who is staying behind,

The previous 20 seasons before 94/95 even without the Ferguson years (as per the ramblings of our resident arab imbecile who thinks having a great manager negates his mark on our history – stupid c**t) throw up the following facts;

Aberdeen finished 2nd seven times, 3rd twice and top 5 another seven times. AFC finished outside the top 5 just four times.  They won 4 cups in that time and made another six finals. Adjusting the points for number of games played and 3 points for a win over those 20 seasons they averaged about 67 points per season. (McInnes has averaged 72, but then again, no Rangers, no Hearts or no Hibs for much of his tenure.)

A cup win every 5 years and a cup final about every 3.5 years.

That being the case McInnes is just about bang average for Aberdeen FC when it was run by a board who knew what the f**k they were doing and tended not to appoint useless fuckers to the managers office and them tip barrowloads of money in their direction to waste on utter dross.

My fear is not losing McInnes, it is who the dimwits in the boardroom will appoint in his place. The last quarter of a century has been a procession of bad decisions & bad appointments and I have no confidence that won’t continue.

14 hours ago, betting competition said:

Was never a fan of tangoman as the football was dreadful to watch and negative - think the fans had enough of his type of football even though he managed to get some decent results and qualified for europe a few times. I've wanted every manager sacked from Portaloo onwards till Derek McInnes came in. 

Ditto :lol:

I’d rather keep Deek than lose him however this

My fear is not losing McInnes, it is who the dimwits in the boardroom will appoint in his place. The last quarter of a century has been a procession of bad decisions & bad appointments and I have no confidence that won’t continue.

is spot on 

https://www.afc.co.uk/2018/04/30/aberdna-membership-drives-football-investment/

Over 3,000 Dons supporters have now signed-up to AberDNA, the Club’s new official membership scheme that provides compelling benefits for our supporters across the globe and promises to deliver 100% of the net proceeds to the football operation. The membership initiative has already raised over £500,000 in gross revenue since its launch.  

Upon hearing the news that the latest membership milestone had been reached Derek McInnes had this message for the Red Army, “I would like to say a big thank you to the 3,000 supporters who have become founding members of AberDNA. The support since I have arrived at the club has been excellent and your further contribution as members is a massive boost as we strive to take the club forward and prepare for the 2018/19 season.  

“With Celtic’s turnover at £90 million, Rangers around £30 million and Aberdeen £15 million, finding innovative new ways to support the football operation is essential to the club’s future. A rejuvenated Hearts and Hibs are also closing the gap given they are enjoying bigger average home attendances.  

“To level the playing field, and be as competitive as we can be, I urge anyone who hasn’t already considered AberDNA to do so and sign up now.  I know that everyone has different circumstances to consider, and that’s why this is a voluntary membership.  “If just 6% of our 100,000 fans join AberDNA, we’d have 6,000 members contributing a significant amount of money each year to support investment in the first team, youth development and sports science – that’s a potential game-changer for this football club.  

“Your backing and support is very much appreciated.”

47 minutes ago, d31 said:

Tony Watt?

Ross Wallace?

Dylan McGeouch?

Tony Kroos ?

William Wallace ?

Bob Dylan ?

I like this game, I think it could take off.

DcW7LouXcAMFL8-.jpg

Read a few folks on Facebook complaining about pre-season fixtures :lol:

Total shite. Yeah playing Brechin who couldn't win a game all season in the Championship & an amateur highland is great preparation. Book your season tickets now for another year of disappointment

2nd year running absolute shite preseason we shud b playing high profile clubs from english championship and abroad