The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

14 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

We also couldn't cross to save our lives. 

We must have attempted to cross the ball more than 50 times.....McGinn, GMS, Stewart, Logan, Lowe, Shinnie, McLennan...every fucking player outside Lewis had a go at putting the ball into the box, and every fucking cross was utter shite.  

It was either too low and the first man nodded it away, or too high and it flew past the back post. 

What chance did Cosgrove have ? The rest of the should hang their heads in shame that in 90 minutes of crossie in against a part-time team at the bottom of League One, not one of them could find a decent cross.

Can't argue with that , about the crosses.

GMS was out of sorts on Saturday , but that can be put down to his long lay-off , to some extent.

Logan hardly ever now pings in a cross with his right foot.  He usually cuts back on to his left and the cross is usually too high and "floaty"  coming down somewhere round about the edge of the penalty box and fairly comfortable to defend.

McGinn has always been guilty of over-elaborating , cutting back from one foot to the other when he seems to have given himself space to get a cross in , but doesn't do so and the opposition  defence gets time to organise themselves to dealwith the cross. However , McGinn in among the numerous poor crosses and wated opportunities , he usually manages to set up at least one good chance with a quality cross or cut-back , and Saturday was no exception with his cut-back to Stewart in the second-half.

In contrast the Stenhousemuir lad showed the waywith their goal , by firing in a superb early cross, when the opportuity arose . No fannying about. Just get it in to a dangerous area and trust your team-mates to be in a position to get on the end of it. Not rocket science.

The crossing likely partially down to Stenny's bus parking closing down the spaces, and also the lack of tempo from AFC.

If there's no pace to the game. defenders will easily show players on to their weaker foot or into an area where the cross is likely to be floatier and less dangerous.

The one wee change of pace we did have, led to great play from the otherwise dreadful McGinn and a bonnie ball in which Stewart should have burst the net with.

Other that it was so ponderous and one-paced - hopefully just 'rustiness' as has been suggested..........but practice badly needed for some.

Edited by tarapoa

Think he might still stay at saints ,,  but  dont think many up here that bothered if he does or not ..  For me       i think he is an improvement on considine and reynolds 

as at least one them will  be gone in the summer .and  both will get clubs as they can do job for few teams in this league .

Also from today's EE:

Confirmation that we're trying to get Stewart on permanent deal.

No real big surprise in that but be prepared for another meltdown in East Ayrshire if that happens.

Birmingham attacker Stewart was recently secured on loan until the end of the season.

Stewart, who spent last season at Pittodrie, made his second Dons’ debut in the 1-1 Scottish Cup draw with Stenhousemuir.

Aberdeen face League One Stenny in a replay on Tuesday January 29. Up for grabs is a fifth round home tie against Dundee or Queen of the South.

The Dons beat Kilmarnock to the loan capture of Stewart, despite the 28-year-old having spent the first half of this season on loan at Rugby Park.

Stewart’s deal at Birmingham expires at the end of the season and McInnes today confirmed he aims to secure him on a permanent deal.

The attacker wants to go into the summer transfer window a free agent to assess his options but McInnes hopes to use the loan spell to persuade Stewart to pen a permanent contract at Pittodrie.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Sheep62 said:

Also from today's EE:

Confirmation that we're trying to get Stewart on permanent deal.

No real big surprise in that but be prepared for another meltdown in East Ayrshire if that happens.

To this point, that's the only good thing about us signing Greg Stewart. 

5 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

To this point, that's the only good thing about us signing Greg Stewart. 

Really? You didn’t think that he had a decent game on Saturday? Forced the keeper into saves, hit the underside of the crossbar, and had some great skill on the ball and decent ball retention.

8 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Really? You didn’t think that he had a decent game on Saturday? Forced the keeper into saves, hit the underside of the crossbar, and had some great skill on the ball and decent ball retention.

aye   stewart played well but it might  be like maddison that we look a better side  without him .    might sound mad but it happened with maddison.. 

.    next few games will tell us .            .  as for lewis morgan  f**k aff  hope its nae happening 

aye   stewart played well but it might  be like maddison that we look a better side  without him .    might sound mad but it happened with maddison.. 
 .    next few games will tell us .            .  as for lewis morgan  f**k aff  hope its nae happening 

Basically because Maddison wasn’t/isn’t a team player there’s no i in team but there is in in Maddison

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Greg Stewart being written off already? emoji23.png

where ?   christie played that role great because off the ball he worked like f**k ..we are going to sacrifise  some workrate top end the pitch 

with stewart in the team ,  as i pointed out next  few games will tell us .. .. it might be just what we need . pipe down loon naebody is questioning stewarts ability

where ?   christie played that role great because off the ball he worked like f**k ..we are going to sacrifise  some workrate top end the pitch 
with stewart in the team ,  as i pointed out next  few games will tell us .. .. it might be just what we need . pipe down loon naebody is questioning stewarts ability

I just found it quite funny, that a few weeks ago everyone was losing their mind at the lack of creativity.

One good month and a shit 90 minutes against stenny and ‘maybe were a better team without stewart’.

You’re right, let’s see how it pans out. Your point that Stewart might be good or he might not is both profound and unarguable.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I just found it quite funny, that a few weeks ago everyone was losing their mind at the lack of creativity.

One good month and a shit 90 minutes against stenny and ‘maybe were a better team without stewart’.

You’re right, let’s see how it pans out. Your point that Stewart might be good or he might not is both profound and unarguable.

i  am well happy .     well decent  last two  months scoring goals and big wins against our rivals ..  i personally was not thinking of a stewart signing .    i rather we got bit more energy for   middle the park

hey every team outside  celtic would want stewart in there side  we know that.  its good probelm have ..   

For me, I think for the first game back we shouldn’t have changed it. Kept the formation the same, kept the strike partnership the same, bring Stewart on if it’s not working.

Then over the next few weeks, work on changing he shape in training. I’d be much more confident with us lining up as we were without Stewart going into the Killie and *** games for example.