The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Not surprising to see being linked with re-signing Josh Magennis isn’t exactly inspiring Aberdeen fans on social media. :lol:

In fairness, we could be linked with anyone and Aberdeen fans on social media could turn it into a negative.

Despite doing well, Cosgrove is still relatively young and needs help. Josher isn’t imaginative but he seems to have pushed on, he’ll give 100% and would absolutely contribute more than Wilson.

In fairness, we could be linked with anyone and Aberdeen fans on social media could turn it into a negative.

Despite doing well, Cosgrove is still relatively young and needs help. Josher isn’t imaginative but he seems to have pushed on, he’ll give 100% and would absolutely contribute more than Wilson.

Social media has become really negative recently. I hadn't realised how strongly the McInnes our stuff was until this past couple of months.

11 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Social media has become really negative recently. I hadn't realised how strongly the McInnes our stuff was until this past couple of months.

I would expect to look at the table and see us in the bottom 6 judging by social media. Some misgivings would be fair enough but it has gone well beyond that. There seems to be a general consensus that Mcinnes can be easily replaced by a manager who will win trophies regularly.

I would expect to look at the table and see us in the bottom 6 judging by social media. Some misgivings would be fair enough but it has gone well beyond that. There seems to be a general consensus that Mcinnes can be easily replaced by a manager who will win trophies regularly.

There was someone describing this as a 'dark season' earlier today. If getting into a cup final, knocking Rangers out of both cups, and (hopefully) finishing third is a dark season then the credit has to go to McInnes for making third seem like a disappointment.

It’s so polarised. So many refusing to accept any positives (or negatives) and it’s just a total rammy.

3 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

There was someone describing this as a 'dark season' earlier today. If getting into a cup final, knocking Rangers out of both cups, and (hopefully) finishing third is a dark season then the credit has to go to McInnes for making third seem like a disappointment.

I think that is it. Standards have risen so much that a season of performing to budget (hopefully) in the league and actually better than budget in the cups is seen as a disappointment. I personally feel Mcinnes deserves to get his hands on the new training ground and think we have his contract situation about right currently.

Edited by KingswellsRed

4 hours ago, KingswellsRed said:

I think that is it. Standards have risen so much that a season of performing to budget (hopefully) in the league and actually better than budget in the cups is seen as a disappointment. I personally feel Mcinnes deserves to get his hands on the new training ground and think we have his contract situation about right currently.

Would be hilarious if Abadeen finished 4th and Hertz won the cup!

9 hours ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Josh Magennes would be a decent signing tbf , improved no end with Killie and that got him his move to England . Don’t know if he still has the pace he once had though 

He’s only 28, so can’t see why his pace would have dropped. Jonny Hayes was still bombing on for us at 30.

11 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

McInnes has probably suffered a bit with the fans this season for the style of football being pretty hard to watch at times. It's fine when you're winning, and understandably so, because basically no-one cares about aesthetics when you're beating Rangers in Glasgow. But you're always treading a fine line. It means, like last weekend at Ibrox, if you lose - or draw at home to Livingston or St Mirren - and play dismally, there is between little and nothing positive for the fans to take from the game, so the quality of the product invariably comes under greater scrutiny. 

I'm probably somewhere between the two 'extremes' on McInnes - I think he is a good but not great manager. He deserves the opportunity to rebuild and has more than enough credit in the bank to see him through a slightly disappointing season, but I'm not completely shut-off to the notion of a shelf life at some point. I think next season has the potential to be a very tricky one considering the likely list of outgoings over the coming months, and there will be an expectation for him to recruit both quantity and quality. It's important, especially given the quality and importance of some of the players likely to depart (Shinnie, Mackay-Steven, possibly McKenna, Lowe back to Derby), that he has more hits than misses. 

Edited by DrewDon

Being the Aberdeen manager is just a thankless task. If Aberdeen finish 3rd and Celtic win the Scottish cup then Aberdeen will have had the best season outwith the old firm and even then we’ve knocked rangers out of both cups.  

I am beginning to get seriously worried about next season however. McGinn another year on, no Shinnie, Lowe probably not coming back, as much as everyone thinks he’s erratic GMS is better than the current young guys and we are better with him and I’m increasingly concerned Cosgrove hit a hot streak and really isn’t up to that much. 

It might be a transition season and that might see us finish 5th or something. I dread to think of the frenzy some of the Aberdeen fans will be in if that’s the case.  I would just let McInnes be our manager indefinitely unless the situation became untenable. He clearly knows what he’s up to, we are relevant deep in the cups every season. I’d hate for us to throw that away just to appease some morons who have no sense of realism and expect him to best the old firm with a fraction of the budget. Let’s be the solid team with a plan and not doing anything silly to throw it away. European football every summer to enjoy and regular trips to Hampden. It hasn’t been this good in years 

18 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

That is social media for you and also add in forums where the majority of posts are very negative. 

Fans have been spoiled for the last 5 seasons  and if this was McInnes first season there would be a buzz about the place. But being what we have done in the league for the last 5 seasons along with desperately wanting to win a cup then this season feels like a disaster to many.  

Stats wise taking away McInnes previous 5 seasons this season points and goals total has only been better once since 1994-95 season (2006/2007 season when Mackie scored 13 league goals :o). I haven't enjoyed the type of football watched this season but McInnes has got results - it does remind me of Calderwood days.

Two seasons ago our midfield was Jack, Shinnie, McGinn, Hayes, McLean, Christie and Maddison - Imagine if we hold on to that team today it would have had a chance of stopping Celtic winning 8 trophies in a row - unfortunately for us we can't hold on to these players financially and they are very difficult to replace.  Our wage bill when McInnes became manager was 5.2 million but thanks to him it is now up to 8.5 million. Some fans want us spend more but to compete with Rangers/Celtic we need to spend double on our wages and that won't happen.

There is a lot to be positive about with the dons: We have Lewis/Ferguson/McKenna/Cosgrove on long term contracts (apart from Lewis the other 3 are 19 and  22 years old). We have good youngsters coming through our youth system in Campbell, McLeannan, Anderson etc.  We just need to sort out decent experience signings in the midfield/out wide which hopefully means next season we win a cup and continue to do well in the league. 

Edited by betting competition

The attendance on Saturday looked pitiful.

It was given as over 15K, but looked like there were no more than 8K in the home stands.

Are people just fed up with us losing to Celtic................or was it the circumstances around this particular match?   I've seen seasons before where the battle for European qualification meant there was some post-split excitement, and decent crowds. 

Kilmarnock certainly seemed to enjoy their late winner at the weekend - maybe more novelty factor for them?

6 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

It was given as over 15K, but looked like there were no more than 8K in the home stands.

Are people just fed up with us losing to Celtic................or was it the circumstances around this particular match?   I've seen seasons before where the battle for European qualification meant there was some post-split excitement, and decent crowds. 

Kilmarnock certainly seemed to enjoy their late winner at the weekend - maybe more novelty factor for them?

The atmosphere was very flat. The Celtic fans were pretty quiet even after the first goal and wasn't until their second that they were a constant din.

Thought we did well until the first Celtic goal on Saturday. After three bad misses, the away goal was inevitable.

Hopefully there's some pre-contracts already in place so we're ready for the first Europa game (I'm assuming Celtic winning the cup here). Looking quite threadbare based on who will be here:

Stolen from afcchat

June 2019

Tomas Cerny
Greg Halford
Graeme Shinnie
Sam Roscoe
Gary Mackay-Steven
Frank Ross
Max Lowe - loan return to Derby
Dominic Ball - also out of contract at Rotherham
Greg Stewart - also out of contract at Birmingham
James Wilson - also out of contract at Man Utd
Tommie Hoban - returned to Watford
Mark Reynolds - signed for Dundee United until June 2022

June 2020

Danny Rogers
Shay Logan
Stephen Gleeson
Derek McInnes
Tony Docherty

June 2021

Andrew Considine
Michael Devlin
Scott Wright
Dean Campbell
Connor McLennan
Bruce Anderson
Niall McGinn
Stevie May

June 2022

Sam Cosgrove

June 2023

Scott McKenna

June 2024

Joe Lewis
Lewis Ferguson

I believe Ross and Roscoe have signed new contracts which are yet to be announced.

I expect Ball will sign for us full time. I would be surprised if we managed to get Lowe back. I would imagine we would have a lot of wages to play with if GMS, Shinnie and Reynolds (who I reckon is a sneaky higher earner) are gone. I think the paramount consideration for the free wages has to be a centre mid we can depend on to play with Ferguson. The rest we can have a few swings at and see what sticks. No one immediately springs to for said wages. I'm just plucking a name out of the air as an example here and I think he may have already signed with Kilmarnock but my worry is we sign someone like a 32 year old Craig Bryson and pay him a fortune to only be fit enough to play half our games. I sometimes think people are a bit harsh on our recruitment, the turnover of players at clubs like ours is so frequent that there are bound to be stinkers in there but then we get Cosgrove who is second top scorer in the league for peanuts, we get Ferguson who looks like we could sell for more than we spent, shinnie has been brilliant etc. It's easier to point at the calamitous mistakes than give credit to the good signings. Take Stevie May for example, I was delighted when we signed him as was every other fan I would imagine, sometimes the obvious good signing just doesn't work, I know its their jobs to get these things right but they don't have a crystal ball to get everything spot on. 

What is concerning is that over the last 4/5 years a lot of our best signings have been shamelessly stealing the best players from Caley or Hamilton etc something we have done more effectively than the Edinburgh two. I worry Rangers finally asserting themselves back above us may render this tougher and they become more prominent in doing this rather than signing players with better sounding names or reputations. Hastie moving to ibrox an example

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Pretty much

Horrendously shit record against Celtic + lack of desire to see them win the title on our patch + lack of novelty in chasing Europe 

Its just changed days

Remember the carnage and celebrations  in town after we beat old rangers to finish 3rd in 2007

Simpler times :lol: 

6 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Remember the carnage and celebrations  in town after we beat old rangers to finish 3rd in 2007

Simpler times :lol: 

As someone said earlier - in a messed up way, it's to Derek McInnes' credit that he's rendered this nothing much to get excited about any more - but it doesn't do a lot for the matchday experience.

Even in 2005, when we lost out to Hibs, when them and and the  former rangers did a W.Germany v Austria 82 for the second half on 'helicopter Sunday', there was almost a full house to see us beat Hearts.

McInnes has a shelf life clearly, but the nonsense online and at games is ridiculous.

I get absolutely drained debating McInnes with close mates. I don’t think he walks on water but I fail to understand the unmitigated anger towards him given the last few years.