The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Surprised we’re still in for Hornby, Derek must’ve skipped over your posts today 

Considering my success rate with predictions it probably sealed the deal, tbh.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

RG is actually making some fair points as to whether we’re signing a striker ready to hit the ground running in the next few months. 

Random also said May struggled at Aberdeen because we didn't use him correctly.

He's now behind Chris Kane in the pecking order.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Cosgrove has got a bit of a hard neck comparing Birmingham favourably to Aberdeen. Birmingham are fecking shite, and have been for years. They'll be lucky not to be in League 1 next season. 

Big Sam was probably a season away from becoming a joiner when we took him from Carlisle, and now he's a 2 million quid player in the Championship with the chance (even with a rotten team) to put himself for the shop window to Premiership teams. He should be thanking Aberdeen and McInnes.

Saying all that, I wish him luck and don't blame him for leaving. He's probably making a better career move than McKenna did.

12 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Cosgrove has got a bit of a hard neck comparing Birmingham favourably to Aberdeen. Birmingham are fecking shite, and have been for years. They'll be lucky not to be in League 1 next season. 

Big Sam was probably a season away from becoming a joiner when we took him from Carlisle, and now he's a 2 million quid player in the Championship with the chance (even with a rotten team) to put himself for the shop window to Premiership teams. He should be thanking Aberdeen and McInnes.

Saying all that, I wish him luck and don't blame him for leaving. He's probably making a better career move than McKenna did.

I see a lot of Birmingham fans are not exactly dispelling the opinion that fans of the majority of at best average English clubs have a sense of superiority over Scottish teams for no real reason.

1 meaningful trophy since the 60s (Mcleish an Aberdeen legend gave them that) , most of those years bouncing around lower leagues and a huge mountain of debt yet Birmingham fans think they are some huge successful club 😆

He praised McInnes and the club for his development in the very same interview.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

I’d take Liam Boyce

That thought had passed my mine too. Even if we get this Hornby guy, it’s a heck of a lot of pressure on a young ‘un, he needs an experienced older head alongside him.

I would have said he’s already in the house, McGinn, but he seems to be right out of the window just now

The papers are reporting The Rangers have been in talks all day with Aberdeen over Wright. 

I'm hoping we sell Wright. I think he's a good player and has been a positive for us this season. Aberdeen will be wanting the sale to at least cover the McCrorie fee.

I suspect we might go after Allan Campbell if he does go. Supposedly Motherwell want 350k for him. I think we'll be considering selling Ferguson in the summer.

Cosgrove's recent form wasn't good enough and I'm amazed/delighted we sold him for 2 million+future sell on %.

As the DR reported, Hornby is a definite upgrade. He's even taller then Cosgrove, faster and technically better.

Main and Anderson to depart at the end of the season. Gives us the option to start a fresh and sign 2 new forwards. I really hope Watkins is one of them.

I'd take Callum Hendry on loan until the end of the season over Bruce Anderson any day.

This window, we've essentially trimmed the fat off the side by offloading some fringe players. Wright and Cosgrove are both replaceable. 

I hope we can extend Taylor, Greg Leigh (controversial but i like him) and Hoban's contracts. Sign two new strikers (Watkins) and an attacking midfielder (or Allan Campbell). I think we'd be good for next season. Sign Gary Woods permanently as our back up goalie. 

Edited by HarleyQuinn

Don't really see Rangers paying very much money for a player that's already signed for free in six months time.

The McCrorie fee is what, £300k? Glen Kamara was £50k to bring him in six months early - that's the kind of figure I'd expect the clubs are talking about.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

Don't really see Rangers paying very much money for a player that's already signed for free in six months time.

The McCrorie fee is what, £300k? Glen Kamara was £50k to bring him in six months early - that's the kind of figure I'd expect the clubs are talking about.

The poster your replying too doesn't seem to understand Aberdeen are completely skint.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

I agree its seems odd that you want him now. Wright would be cup tied for your Europa League fixtures in a fortnight too. According to the Daily Record, its been confirmed Aberdeen are due compensation from The Rangers when he's joins you in the summer.

The only difference now is we aren't in as much pressure to sell Wright after the sale of Cosgrove. Also Aberdeen will see Wright as an important player if he remains in our bid for a European spot for next season. 300k prize difference for 3rd and 4th spot too. 

When you signed Kamara none of these were factors in the sale.

3 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I agree its seems odd that you want him now. Wright would be cup tied for your Europa League fixtures in a fortnight too. According to the Daily Record, its been confirmed Aberdeen are due compensation from The Rangers when he's joins you in the summer.

The only difference now is we aren't in as much pressure to sell Wright after the sale of Cosgrove. Also Aberdeen will see Wright as an important player if he remains in our bid for a European spot for next season. 300k prize difference for 3rd and 4th spot too. 

When you signed Kamara none of these were factors in the sale.

I'm not sure Aberdeen are due any compensation, but I'm not very familiar with those rules so you could be right. Either way, it'll be £50k or so on top of what the compensation fee is - whether that's nothing or a couple of hundred grand.

Wright wouldn't be cup-tied for the Europa, that rule was abolished a few years back IIRC.

I would expect we want him in earlier so he can learn the system earlier, work with our strength and conditioning teams and get some data in for our injury prevention software (which will be very important for him). Not a big deal if it doesn't happen though, so I don't really see Rangers paying much money for that.

11 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I presume you're having a wee laugh here ?

McCrorie has been one of the stars of the season, for any club. The money we're paying to Rangers is a complete bargain considering that he'll turn into a Scotland international and make us a heap of cash when he's eventually sold on.

McInnes takes a lot of criticism in the transfer market (a lot of it from St Johnstone fans bizarrely) but I defy anyone to say that any other manager in Scotland has done better business in the last few years than bringing in Ferguson and McCrorie for comparative buttons.

Ok Martindale.

Dykes and Guthrie, as well as Gallagher a few seasons earlier, Scott Pittman from the juniors, who McInnes tried to sign from us. Could list a few more but they'll do to take up your challenge.

46 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Ok Martindale.

Dykes and Guthrie, as well as Gallagher a few seasons earlier, Scott Pittman from the juniors, who McInnes tried to sign from us. Could list a few more but they'll do to take up your challenge.

Absolutely. The deals Livi have done in the last 5 years by comparison blow other teams out the water. We plucked guys from League 1/Championship and made them in to Premiership quality players