The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

If we do finish third i wonder if the fanbase will be any less inclined for him to leave? 

I think there's a decent portion that are now fairly entrenched in the Mcinnes out camp.

3rd and a SC and they might have to put their issues to one side for a couple of months. But that's not happening.

31 minutes ago, coprolite said:

At a club like ours, persuading the board to get the chequebook out is a valuable part of a manager's skill set.  You only have the chance to be a chequebook manager if you make it. 

Did Jimmy not have a reasonably successful caretaker stint at Killie or am i imagining that? 

There was no money left. In his first couple of years Jimmy signed Lovell and Nicholson for substantial fees but gave very good offers to Severin, Jamie Smith and Lee Miller to sign on bosmans. The club was heavily in debt and despite Calderwood doing good to ok most years we weren't making any profit. Jimmy was asked to bring through the youth and point blank refused. 

I think he did ok at Killie but from a quick google search he quit as they were slashing the budget.

It's a key point for the 'remember where we were before McInnes/Calderwood' type folk. The guys they took over from were always in charge when there was a budget slash. Paterson from Ebbe, McGhee from Jimmy. Whether they were good enough to manage Aberdeen is one question but they both had their hands tied behind their backs when it came to recruitment in comparison.

41 minutes ago, coprolite said:

If we do finish third i wonder if the fanbase will be any less inclined for him to leave? 

If he finishes 3rd I’d probably be content to have see out his contract 

Goes with the caveat we’d need to make a decent go of the Scottish Cup if indeed it goes ahead at all

Fair chunk of the fan base have turned regardless what happens 

Would need to win the SC to get folk back onside

Which won’t happen because we’re shitebags 

3 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:
Spartans are Edinburgh's real fitba team.

Ahem Civil Service Strollers are older than both of these wannabe upstarts.

Ha, I used to live very close to both but I've attended a couple of Spartan's games. 

Strollers are North Edinburgh's shame.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

There was no money left. In his first couple of years Jimmy signed Lovell and Nicholson for substantial fees but gave very good offers to Severin, Jamie Smith and Lee Miller to sign on bosmans. The club was heavily in debt and despite Calderwood doing good to ok most years we weren't making any profit. Jimmy was asked to bring through the youth and point blank refused. 

I think he did ok at Killie but from a quick google search he quit as they were slashing the budget.

It's a key point for the 'remember where we were before McInnes/Calderwood' type folk. The guys they took over from were always in charge when there was a budget slash. Paterson from Ebbe, McGhee from Jimmy. Whether they were good enough to manage Aberdeen is one question but they both had their hands tied behind their backs when it came to recruitment in comparison.

Yeah, i'm not saying Calderwood did well with the budget he had, just that he'd done well to persuade Wigless he should have a budget. Thinking about his early signings of proven spl midfielders to shore things up does invite comparisons with mcinnes.

I guess the success of those early "no brainer" signings for both gave the board confidence for sanctioning later signings. I think McInnes has done better to sustain it despite a run of utter shit midfielders. He still hasn't signed a dave bus or tommy wright. 

34 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

If he finishes 3rd I’d probably be content to have see out his contract 

Goes with the caveat we’d need to make a decent go of the Scottish Cup if indeed it goes ahead at all

Fair chunk of the fan base have turned regardless what happens 

Would need to win the SC to get folk back onside

Which won’t happen because we’re shitebags 

This is pretty much where i am although i wouldn't be too upset with 3rd and a shite cup. The cup might not even happen and third is absolutely pivotal this year. Fourth or potentially fifth is looking realistic and would be a real underachievement. 

8 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Yeah, i'm not saying Calderwood did well with the budget he had, just that he'd done well to persuade Wigless he should have a budget. Thinking about his early signings of proven spl midfielders to shore things up does invite comparisons with mcinnes.

I guess the success of those early "no brainer" signings for both gave the board confidence for sanctioning later signings. I think McInnes has done better to sustain it despite a run of utter shit midfielders. He still hasn't signed a dave bus or tommy wright. 

This is pretty much where i am although i wouldn't be too upset with 3rd and a shite cup. The cup might not even happen and third is absolutely pivotal this year. Fourth or potentially fifth is looking realistic and would be a real underachievement. 

I wouldn't argue he did bad as such. He had a choice of making a decent amount go far or sign better quality players. In hindsight it's clear to see he made an issue by not signing many players with resale value. Most were in or about to hit their peak.

4 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

hypothetically if that does happen, where does McInnes go from here? Is his stock still high enough to get another decent offer in England? Top half Championship?

I think he's been in the position for a while now of not really doing badly enough to be sacked but not really doing well enough to be a serious candidate for 'bigger' jobs - I want him replaced at the end of the season, but I can still accept that he has his merits as a manager. Scottish football isn't highly rated at all in England, and his stint at Bristol City probably won't have helped his reputation down there. If I were guessing, I'd probably say his next job, if he did leave soon for whatever reason, would most likely be a middle to lower Championship team, maybe even upper-end League One. 

Edited by DrewDon

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

I wouldn't argue he did bad as such. He had a choice of making a decent amount go far or sign better quality players. In hindsight it's clear to see he made an issue by not signing many players with resale value. Most were in or about to hit their peak.

He was definitely a short termist

Like others, pretty sure that there are a load of keyboard warriors who will never get back onside with Derek McInnes even if we ended second this season. For the vast majority of fans, 3rd place and at least getting to the  Scottish Cup Final, if it goes ahead which I doubt, would do this season, as it would most seasons for the sensible heads in our support.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, HibsFan said:

I'd be off to support Edinburgh City.

Given that you support a team that has had something like 19 failures posing as manager in the last 10 years, I applaud your take on irony.

Chapeau. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp