The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

IMO Aberdeen are in a weird place recruitment wise, in that you need proven talented players to maintain your position as "third force", but also can't afford to sign better than what you've got, so you take a lot of punts on cheap players who may get there (Kennedy, Ojo), and sign any decent player whos available in your price range.

He did very well in his earlier years - but it's a good point, just about every player Aberdeen are linked with - either Hibs, Hearts or both seem to be in for and vice versa for their players.

Still seems reluctant to cast his net wider than the UK/Ireland market - and even Kamberi would never have been signed if he hadn't played in this league before.

I suspect Cormack will move to a DoF model when McInnes eventually does leave, and whoever replaces him will be a head coach rather than a manager. Whilst it's not a good reason to keep him at all, I do think the transition from McInnes to his replacement has the potential to be quite tricky because the manager's remit is currently quite comprehensive and he has been here for so long now. Hopefully a structural change would have the advantage of making those transitions a bit smoother and less painful in the future. 

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

You're not that age, surely?

I prefer the Dons playing in white shorts, tbqhwy.

You’re right, nowhere near 74, but just responding to an ongoing slur by  @Dons_1988.

Can’t agree about the white shorts. Although we wore them when I started out in life, I much prefer red shorts.

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You’re right, nowhere near 74, but just responding to an ongoing slur by  @Dons_1988.

Can’t agree about the white shorts. Although we wore them when I started out in life, I much prefer red shorts.

I think seeing the Dons in white shorts makes me feel young again...

I quite liked the white shorts.  I'd be happy if we mostly stuck with all-red but had a season in white shorts every four or five years.   The change kit should be white tops and black shorts though, none of this blue or gold shite.  

3 hours ago, Game of throw-ins said:

I think we tend to underestimate how random our signing policy is, not because of McInnes's preferences but because it's the nature of the beast.  Managers' awareness of what is available is highly driven by what the people generating the stats tell them.  The pool of players that, on the face of it at least, might strengthen our squad AND might be prepared to come to Scotland AND are available to a club with our budget, is much smaller than we think.  And everybody knows who they are, because every club is seeing the same stats.  The days when a shrewd talent scout or manager could trawl around a few reserve games and spot talent everybody else has missed are long gone.

That's why Scottish clubs with a similar budget to ours (basically Hibs and Hearts) and ourselves are so often competing to sign the same players.  And because signing new players are always a gamble, there will be a randomness to which ones succeed and which ones don't.  Fans like a nice narrative, if player A signs for Hibs and does well and player B signs for Aberdeen and doesn't, it's because the Hibs manager has a better eye for a player.  The truth is much more likely to be that both managers had nearly identical opinions on the two players and chance rather than judgement determined which one turned up at which club.

We could also try looking at the lower leagues in Scotland too.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

He wasn't ready when he played for us but is there anyone who wouldn't have give Michael Rose another go instead of Ash Taylor?

And if McInnes had gone for the unproven player instead of the proven one, he'd had a disaster and you'd finished 5th one season, how would the fans have reacted?

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

And if McInnes had gone for the unproven player instead of the proven one, he'd had a disaster and you'd finished 5th one season, how would the fans have reacted?

Probably pretty similarly to how they’ve reacted anyway?

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The proven player? The player who wasn't well thought of the first time around and was signed as the third choice centre back on a good wage. That one?

I'd say the summer before the 2018-19 season was the last time McInne seemed to have a clear strategy with our transfers, even if they didn't all work out. We lost O'Connor, and brought in Hoban and Dom Ball (who I always thought was underrated by our fans), who could both do a similar job. Max Lowe was excellent at left-back. Gleeson was brought into replace Jack and Forrester was signed to add the creativity in midfield that we had lost when McLean and Christie left. Gleeson and Forrester turned out to be disasters but they were logical signings at the time.

Since then, the policy seems to be sign anyone who seems good and is available, and we'll figure out what to do them later. Which has led us to fielding starting XIs with 5 wingers while expensive central midfielders sit on the bench/get sent out on loan.

3 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I'd say the summer before the 2018-19 season was the last time McInne seemed to have a clear strategy with our transfers, even if they didn't all work out. We lost O'Connor, and brought in Hoban and Dom Ball (who I always thought was underrated by our fans), who could both do a similar job. Max Lowe was excellent at left-back. Gleeson was brought into replace Jack and Forrester was signed to add the creativity in midfield that we had lost when McLean and Christie left. Gleeson and Forrester turned out to be disasters but they were logical signings at the time.

Since then, the policy seems to be sign anyone who seems good and is available, and we'll figure out what to do them later. Which has led us to fielding starting XIs with 5 wingers while expensive central midfielders sit on the bench/get sent out on loan.

The obsession with a new stadium in the wrong place hasn’t helped or just coincidence?

26 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

The obsession with a new stadium in the wrong place hasn’t helped or just coincidence?

Complete coincidence surely. Different people's jobs unless you think McInnes has been out trying to sign a proven electrical contractor instead of an attacking midfielder? 

10 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

New stadium surely a distraction. Milne couldn’t talk about anything else.

I think we've a big enough management team as a business that the football people can stay on football stuff while commercial people stay on commercial stuff. Maybe the chairman /chief exec are less focused on football matters but evidence suggests it might be good if they stay out of it. 

Edited by coprolite
Typo