The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

There is no middle ground between happy clapper and doom merchant. If you aren't one, you must be the other. 

Can you not be a happy merchant or a doom clapper?

13 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Which should we prioritise, a cup win or Europe? There has been a massive clamour this season from our fans saying that this is the season to finish third as this will guarantee entry to the Group stages of the European Conference League. I’ve always thought that this wasn’t the case and I’ve just read what awaits Scottish clubs next season. Unless Celtic or Rangers win the Scottish Cup, third and fourth place in the league would mean three qualifying rounds to get into the Group Stages of the Conference League. The Holy Grail is to win the Scottish Cup which gives you one qualifying round only to get into the Europa League, but if you fail to get through that, you automatically go into the Group Stage of the Conference League. So not only do you win a cup but you get European games until December at least. Despite what most of our fans are saying, this isn’t the year to finish third, this is the year to win the Scottish Cup.

assuming a top three club win the scottish cup the place would be for the third placed team

but hey winning the scottish cup would be pretty damn good. the new manager would be a legend straightaway. 

Edited by d31

Fully agree - you have to imagine the chances of one of the top three winning the cup is about 1/6...............but this would be a bloody good year to win it.  This season may just f**ked up enough for that to be a possibility...............cue a 1-0 defeat to Dumbarton in a couple of weeks !

12 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

We've entered an alternate universe where the 'doom and gloom' merchants are overly excited because we don't have Derek McInnes in charge. the 'happy clappers' have decided life is going to be terrible because we don't have Derek McInnes in charge.

The rest of us are sitting back, letting it play out and will see where it goes.

Those of a doomed up persuasion (of which I include myself) have had their Prozac with heads rolling and Dave serving up some crazy talk during a period of turmoil. 

Whilst  those with a usually uncritical eye have realised the clapping will have to stop temporarily whilst we rearrange the deckchairs on the good ship Titanic. 

Order will be restored soon enough.

Would it be true to say that the doomed are more likely to be left-wing politically whilst the happy clappers are more Conservative and right-wing in nature? 

Whilst the middle ground (if there is one) would be Liberal Democrats (if there are any)? 

Edited by Bogbrush1903

7 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Would it be true to say that the doomed are more likely to be left-wing politically whilst the happy clappers are more Conservative and right-wing in nature? 

Whilst the middle ground (if there is one) would be Liberal Democrats (if there are any)? 

If you make this your PhD, it would make you a Doctor of Football! 

8 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Those of a doomed up persuasion (of which I include myself) have had their Prozac with heads rolling and Dave serving up some crazy talk during a period of turmoil. 

Whilst  those with a usually uncritical eye have realised the clapping will have to stop temporarily whilst we rearrange the deckchairs on the good ship Titanic. 

I consider myself middle ground but would feel quite ill at the thought of being a lib dem.

53 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I consider myself middle ground but would feel quite ill at the thought of being a lib dem.

Yep, just the sight of Willie Rennie's face is enough to fill me with rage. Reminds me of the wee guy who would always suck up to the school bully so they didn't get battered. 

56 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Yep, just the sight of Willie Rennie's face is enough to fill me with rage. Reminds me of the wee guy who would always suck up to the school bully so they didn't get battered. 

I think someone else also took exception to Rennie's face.

Hopefully one of the supporters from the other teams will pop up shortly with one of those hilarious sheep quips...

willie-e1492809976439.png

10 hours ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Even in jest, please leave the politics in football bullshit to the celtic fans. 

14 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I think someone else also took exception to Rennie's face.

Hopefully one of the supporters from the other teams will pop up shortly with one of those hilarious sheep quips...

willie-e1492809976439.png

Ha ha! That's fantastic, I bet he'd been training that sheep for weeks. 

26 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Look at their smiling faces. That's me all aboard the hype train again.

Wouldn't get too excited, Simmie's probably told them if they don't smile for the cameras, he'll be taking part in all the 5 v 5s.

Case of Gothenburg syndrome most likely. 

Edited by Golden Gordon

Surprised this hasn't attracted more comment.  Apologies if it has and I've somehow missed it.

Sir Alex Ferguson has offered to provide Derek McInnes with a reference as he tipped the former Aberdeen boss to return to top-flight management.

McInnes left Pittodrie by mutual consent last week after eight years in charge. Ferguson, who led Aberdeen to domestic and European glory in the 1980s before building a dynasty at Manchester United, is confident it will not be long before another “big” club offers him a job.

“Derek is a top-class, experienced manager who still has the energy of youth. He is capable of taking on a big job,” Ferguson said. “If I was asked for a reference for him, I would gladly supply it.”

Ferguson won three league titles and the European Cup Winners’ Cup while in charge of Aberdeen and the club’s chairman Dave Cormack revealed earlier this week that the 79-year-old had offered his services as a “sounding board” as his old club step up their hunt for McInnes’ successor. He also said that Ferguson told him to “find someone who can go to Glasgow and aim to beat Celtic and Rangers”.

But Ferguson insists the reality of modern football means those glory days will never be repeated and that McInnes should be remembered as a fine manager for Aberdeen.

He said: “The gulf in finance between Aberdeen and Rangers and Celtic is huge. It is unbridgeable. There is a gap that never existed back in my day. Derek consistently took the club into Europe and to domestic finals where he inevitably met a Celtic team in their pomp. He will be remembered, though, for winning silverware in the shape of the league cup in 2014. It is tough to win trophies and Derek achieved that. He is only 49 and has still much to offer.”

Ferguson said he believes Aberdeen also suffer now from Rangers and Celtic snapping up young players in the central belt. “In my day we had Willie Miller, Alex McLeish and Stewart Kennedy and others coming from the west of Scotland and the central belt to play for Aberdeen. It’s different today.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/derek-mcinnes-still-has-lots-to-offer-says-sir-alex-ferguson-nm7l8b97m

27 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

Surprised this hasn't attracted more comment.  Apologies if it has and I've somehow missed it.

Sir Alex Ferguson has offered to provide Derek McInnes with a reference as he tipped the former Aberdeen boss to return to top-flight management.

McInnes left Pittodrie by mutual consent last week after eight years in charge. Ferguson, who led Aberdeen to domestic and European glory in the 1980s before building a dynasty at Manchester United, is confident it will not be long before another “big” club offers him a job.

“Derek is a top-class, experienced manager who still has the energy of youth. He is capable of taking on a big job,” Ferguson said. “If I was asked for a reference for him, I would gladly supply it.”

Ferguson won three league titles and the European Cup Winners’ Cup while in charge of Aberdeen and the club’s chairman Dave Cormack revealed earlier this week that the 79-year-old had offered his services as a “sounding board” as his old club step up their hunt for McInnes’ successor. He also said that Ferguson told him to “find someone who can go to Glasgow and aim to beat Celtic and Rangers”.

But Ferguson insists the reality of modern football means those glory days will never be repeated and that McInnes should be remembered as a fine manager for Aberdeen.

He said: “The gulf in finance between Aberdeen and Rangers and Celtic is huge. It is unbridgeable. There is a gap that never existed back in my day. Derek consistently took the club into Europe and to domestic finals where he inevitably met a Celtic team in their pomp. He will be remembered, though, for winning silverware in the shape of the league cup in 2014. It is tough to win trophies and Derek achieved that. He is only 49 and has still much to offer.”

Ferguson said he believes Aberdeen also suffer now from Rangers and Celtic snapping up young players in the central belt. “In my day we had Willie Miller, Alex McLeish and Stewart Kennedy and others coming from the west of Scotland and the central belt to play for Aberdeen. It’s different today.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/derek-mcinnes-still-has-lots-to-offer-says-sir-alex-ferguson-nm7l8b97m

Yep, the last two paragraphs stuck out there. Interpreted it as more than talking McInnes up, rather than talking the club down, but it can be taken both ways. Was Ferguson not quite prominent in the League Managers' Association, so he might be wearing his union hat too? 

To the tune of 'The Big Joe Harper Song' song... Maybe we can gather all the Dons fans/ Top Reds onto a zoom call, sing it together and forward it onto Sheerin and Big Cormack?

His name is Paul Sheerin, He's in charge of the dons

He is left footed, and yes he is bald

He drinks all the whisky, and the Newcastle brown

The beach end boys are in lockdown (nanananana)