The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

28 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

This is where I find Cormack quite hard to fathom. He seems quite switched on in terms of improving the fan experience & has high expectations for the club. If the rumours are true about bringing in a largely untested Glass, then it seems strange that he would bypass a rigorous application process for the managers post. 

I’m maybe clutching but the fact it’s gone really quiet the last few days perhaps suggests we are going through a more rigorous recruitment process than initially first thought 

Or we’ll just announce Glass on Friday, f**k knows 

I think we we will take our time. 

Paul Sheerin has the Dundee United game.

It's 2.5 weeks to our next game (Dumbarton or Huntly) and 3.5 weeks to our next league game.

I'd imagine Cormack is targeting the post split game to have a new team in place but used the language that Sheerin is in charge until the end of the season in case the best candidate is not available until the summer.

3.5 weeks should be enough time to go through a proper process.

1. Manager sacked. 8 March.

2. 1-2 weeks for Applications. 19 March. 

3. 1 weeks for Board review all Applications and make a short list of 5-6 candidates to invite for interview. 26 March.

4. 1 day for Board review Shortlist and decide if any further managers should be approached. 29 March.

5. 1 week for Interviews to begin from the candidates who applied. 29 March - 2 April

6. 1 week to approach any Managers(Clubs) who have not applied. 29 March - 2 April. 

7. Select final 2 candidates to propose to Board along with details of any Managers approached in the interim (eg estimated compensation). 5 April.

8. Board decision to make offer to manager (or pursue manager under contract). 5 April.

That would for example be a very realistic and thorough process. It allows applications, shortlisting and interview and then consider approaching managers not on the list.

If the manager is immediately available you'd have him in place before the post split fixtures commence. If Sheerin can come out of the Dundee Utd and Dumbarton/Huntly games undefeated then it's all good in the hood.

Edited by d31

Forgetting any bias, Shinie and McDermid are just shite commentators.

I've lost count of the number of times this season they've just completely misreported incidents in the game.

"And the referee has given a throw to the Dons..."

Nope, that's a free kick the other way actually. Forgiven in isolation but it's multiple times a game.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Forgetting any bias, Shinie and McDermid are just shite commentators.

I've lost count of the number of times this season they've just completely misreported incidents in the game.

"And the referee has given a throw to the Dons..."

Nope, that's a free kick the other way actually. Forgiven in isolation but it's multiple times a game.

McDiarmid missed the Lewis throwing the ball in the net v Livvie for a good 3-5 seconds. Cringeworthy. 

31 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Aye, the update was decent.

A wee bit of cynicism there Merkland? Must admit, my heart lept when Cormack said he had taken advice from Alex Ferguson, then I remembered David Moyes. Says all the right things, so hopefully he can back this up with action. 

Oh I loved that interview, especially Dave biting his tongue but obviously annoyed about the pundits nonsense about fans expectations.

And as for Fergie...😍

That was so refreshing to listen to someone associated with AFC displaying that ambition and fighting talk especially after listening to that horrendous Northsound podcast yesterday.

And throw into the mix, some squaring up and posturing to the Gruesome Twosome. I haven't heard that officially from AFC in a long time. Great stuff

That'll do for starters Dave...

Edited by Bogbrush1903

44 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

A wee bit of cynicism there Merkland? Must admit, my heart lept when Cormack said he had taken advice from Alex Ferguson, then I remembered David Moyes. Says all the right things, so hopefully he can back this up with action. 

No no. I'm genuinely not getting too up or down about who gets the job. As long as the club feel they've done all they can to appoint the correct person then I'm happy. They just need to be fully backed.

Of the past four managers there was only two appointments I was happy with. Calderwood and Brown. 

I'm still not convinced this will turn out well, but some much needed comms and I am glad to hear they are going through due process and perhaps the sporadic fixture list over the coming weeks has worked out well in that respect.

The SAF comments were welcome, but I disagree that we are the hardest club to manage outwith the gruesomes, and would go as far to say it's harder.  Many fans' expectations are not far off them, and all on a fraction of the budget. We are a very difficult club to manage, as whoever comes in will need to keep the base level of consistency over the past few years going - and sprinkle in style, more big game mentality along with European progression and trophies in order to appease our support - hopefully the reward structure is aligned with that.

Coming back to Shinie and McDermid - I actually don't mind Shinie, find him affable enough and he's okay being part of the overall RedTV team, but I did listen the previous week and he was banging on about the cup runners-up getting into Europe, which means he's several years out of touch.  McDermid annoys me - complete yes man and a tad arrogant with it. Behaved like that in some of those Q&A sessions - turning them from the initial good open forums with the manager, to semi-patronising events with pre-vetted questions.  

Edited by tarapoa

Guest Bob Mahelp
8 hours ago, d31 said:

I think we we will take our time. 

Paul Sheerin has the Dundee United game.

It's 2.5 weeks to our next game (Dumbarton or Huntly) and 3.5 weeks to our next league game.

I'd imagine Cormack is targeting the post split game to have a new team in place but used the language that Sheerin is in charge until the end of the season in case the best candidate is not available until the summer.

3.5 weeks should be enough time to go through a proper process.

1. Manager sacked. 8 March.

2. 1-2 weeks for Applications. 19 March. 

3. 1 weeks for Board review all Applications and make a short list of 5-6 candidates to invite for interview. 26 March.

4. 1 day for Board review Shortlist and decide if any further managers should be approached. 29 March.

5. 1 week for Interviews to begin from the candidates who applied. 29 March - 2 April

6. 1 week to approach any Managers(Clubs) who have not applied. 29 March - 2 April. 

7. Select final 2 candidates to propose to Board along with details of any Managers approached in the interim (eg estimated compensation). 5 April.

8. Board decision to make offer to manager (or pursue manager under contract). 5 April.

That would for example be a very realistic and thorough process. It allows applications, shortlisting and interview and then consider approaching managers not on the list.

If the manager is immediately available you'd have him in place before the post split fixtures commence. If Sheerin can come out of the Dundee Utd and Dumbarton/Huntly games undefeated then it's all good in the hood.

Or we could just appoint Stephen Glass now. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Or we could just appoint Stephen Glass now. 

Got to be seen to go through a process for those members of the board that might not be part of the expat community in Atlanta

22 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

I think you're being negative. All he's guilty of doing is talking up the position.

Since the announcement, he and the fans have been bombarded with nonsense from the Scottish football media. Basically, trying to tell us to know our place and not strive for better, because we're doing as well as we can.

Cormack has came out and quite rightly reminded everyone this is fucking Aberdeen FC we're talking about, and intentionally name dropping Fergie was the icing to the cake on that point. 

"Let me ask this, is it wrong for Aberdeen fans to want more than one trophy in 26 years?"

Magic. What else can you want from your chairman? Can you imagine his predecessor saying anything like this? 

Granted, it's just words at this point but if this is the attitude of the club going forward, I'm all here for it. 

f**k the weegie media shit.

That’s fine and they’re great sound bites but it doesn’t do a huge amount for me.