The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

56 minutes ago, G-MAN said:

Sick of the predictable moaning, groaning and bed wetting from the usual suspects on twitter.

The only “predictable” thing is folk using the cliched “bed wetting” term when anyone rightly questions & criticises baffling team selections & a lack of organisation & strategy. 

The only “predictable” thing is folk using the cliched “bed wetting” term when anyone rightly questions & criticises baffling team selections & a lack of organisation & strategy. 

Respectfully disagree.

All I am seeing is individual defensive mistakes or individuals not putting away chances.

9 hours ago, G-MAN said:

Respectfully disagree.

All I am seeing is individual defensive mistakes or individuals not putting away chances.

So you don’t think having 4 central midfielders in the team (consistently) is baffling? 
Playing all of Brown, Ferguson, Longstaff & Ojo (out of position) is madness IMO.

And clearly isn’t working. 

Zero pace, width or creativity 

8 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I'm not usually a fan of the "bedwetting" chat, but it is justified based on some of what has been said over the past couple of days. I've actually seen folk calling for Glass to be sacked. Absolutely mental stuff. 

The sacking chat is mental just now.

But questioning & criticising team selections, tactics, lack of organisation etc isn’t. 

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

So you don’t think having 4 central midfielders in the team (consistently) is baffling? 
Playing all of Brown, Ferguson, Longstaff & Ojo (out of position) is madness IMO.

And clearly isn’t working. 

Zero pace, width or creativity 

I would bet my life that if he played McLennan and he had a stinker the we'd be hearing how he should have played Ojo there as he scored against Hearts etc.

I said before the season started my instinct was Glass was out of his depth and I have seen nothing to change my mind.

For me, 3rd is the minimum this season with the wages we are paying. If we had qualified for Europe or won a cup, more leeway would likely have been given league wise but the Raith result in particular has put him under a lot of pressure already.

Plusses

Signings, individually, look decent (maybe not Gurr, tbc). 

Giving youth a chance, properly. 

Playing some decent attacking football. 

Entertainment! 

Minuses

Liable to concede really easily. 

Starting with four central mids for a second time when it clearly didn't work before. 

Still no plan to break down solid defences. 

It’s still early days. MacCormark is invested in Glass so he's going nowhere this season.  

Enjoy the roller-coaster 

I’m neither a bed wetter or a happy clapper. I am, however, old enough to have seen a good few managers. I honestly couldn’t see us scoring at any point on Saturday. Yes, the football is much better to watch, but I had the same feelings as Deeks final months when we couldn’t buy a goal.

However, the defence needs sorted first IMO. 

53 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

If we allow one of the Edinburgh clubs to get 3rd and potential group stages it will be a disappointment.

Agreed but we’ve basically replaced the squad, the management team and the style of play all at the same time just as hibs have put a settled side together that are reasonably consistent domestically. 

So as galling as it is, it’s a tall order to finish 3rd minimum in those circumstances. 

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Agreed but we’ve basically replaced the squad, the management team and the style of play all at the same time just as hibs have put a settled side together that are reasonably consistent domestically. 

So as galling as it is, it’s a tall order to finish 3rd minimum in those circumstances. 

When I say 3rd minimum, I don’t mean we should be finishing higher than that, more I would hope to be doing better than getting knocked out of cups by lower league opposition.

20 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

When I say 3rd minimum, I don’t mean we should be finishing higher than that, more I would hope to be doing better than getting knocked out of cups by lower league opposition.

It happened to one of the teams we're panicking will finish above us in last seasons cup.

32 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

Aye that was obviously a kick in the balls but that’s what can happen when you let jack gurr near a football pitch. 

Whilst it’s obviously a devastating one for glass that he couldn’t compensate for with Europe, I’m always wary of reading too much into one game where we’d made 7 changes or whatever it was. 

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye that was obviously a kick in the balls but that’s what can happen when you let jack gurr near a football pitch. 

Whilst it’s obviously a devastating one for glass that he couldn’t compensate for with Europe, I’m always wary of reading too much into one game where we’d made 7 changes or whatever it was. 

We're three points off Hibs. I'm sure most would have accepted that at this stage pre-season. 

If we don't take 4 points minimum from the next two games then it might be time to begin to worry.

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Aye, the bedwetting and happy clapper nonsense is best left elsewhere.

Expect better on P&B, despite a differing range of views - which is perfectly fine, that’s what it’s all about really.

yes, on AFC chat with all the other man children who have never stepped foot outside aberdeen in their life who frequent it.

Edited by red23

I don't want Glass sacked right now- I just didn't ever want him appointed in the first place.

Anyone thinking that hiring a guy so far removed from the Scottish game and with so little managerial experience could come in and cause some sort of revolutionary attacking masterclass at Pittodrie straight away was living in a fantasy land. I think you can either be an inexperienced manager or come into Scottish football fresh but not both... The wider context of the Glass hiring worries me more. It seems astonishing to me he was objectively the best available manager but I've clearly never met the guy and maybe he just blew the Aberdeen hierarchy away with his insights behind closed doors.... I wanted McInnes out at the end but if it were a McInnes or Glass decision- I'd have reluctantly gone with McInnes

But people who were Pro-Glass, it's surely too early to jump off the band wagon now even in spite of the poor start to the season (the Raith game being the real frustration and leaves us now only with one chance of silverware for the season).

The appointment must have been with longer term thinking in mind for it to be justified so I won't judge him too harshly for the time being, he has plenty of time to turn it around this season and potentially in years to come but my gut feeling is and has been since looking at his non-existent track record and lack of time spent coaching in scotland that the Glass tenure will be a failure. I really hope I am wrong and will gladly admit if I am further down the line. In a few weeks with a couple of wins the situation may be look totally different.