The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Just now, Yorky said:

Did Aberdeen ever finish lower than 4th under him ? With both the old firm in the top flight the highest position they could finish under any manager is 3rd. Yes they had a poor spell but his overall win percentage is over 53%. Sorry but you can try and twist  it all you like but those are the stats.

And Aberdeen fans are stuck in the past? 🤣

Just now, Yorky said:

Did Aberdeen ever finish lower than 4th under him ? With both the old firm in the top flight the highest position they could finish under any manager is 3rd. Yes they had a poor spell but his overall win percentage is over 53%. Sorry but you can try and trust it all you like but those are the stats.

Nearly as impressive as our possession against Motherwell in the league game - and as much use.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

And Aberdeen fans are stuck in the past? 

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Nearly as impressive as our possession against Motherwell in the league game - and as much use.

The stats don’t lie. Without looking it up he had what, something like 4 second place finishes and 3 finishing 4th ? Not exactly a disaster but he still took plenty of abuse.

9 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

But those weren't the options. 

Glass wasn't the only potential manager. 

This is it I imagine.

Sacking McInnes wasn't the mistake, hiring Glass was. The two aren't the same thing.

@IDoNotKnowThisOne Yep, after today I fully agree with you. I still believe in the remodelling of the club but we need experienced individuals not charlatans. Ramirez, Barron, Ramsay, Bates, McCrorie and Vicente can stay. Everyone else can leave.

Looking forward to seeing Ross Duncan and Kevin Hanratty. Barron looks a great player on first viewing.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is it I imagine.

Sacking McInnes wasn't the mistake, hiring Glass was. The two aren't the same thing.

The myth here is that it would have been a scoosh to hire somebody good, but we perversely didn't bother.

The history of our last, say, 10 managers proves otherwise.  It's seriously hard to find somebody good.

Out of those 10 McInnes was a success and you could maybe make a case for Calderwood.

Most of them looked decent on paper when appointed and were welcomed by the majority of fans.  But, depending on your view of Calderwood, 80-90% failed.

This isn't unique to Aberdeen.  A very high percentage of managerial appointments fail and fail fairly quickly.

We didn't have to appoint Glass, and we were probably stupid to do it.  But the probablity that whoever else we'd appointed instead would have been good is very low.

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is it I imagine.

Its similar to the same rubbish being spouted after Strachan got binned as Scotland manager then they inexplicably hired Mcleish. 

Edited by gannonball

I hold our narssistic chairman fully responsible ,he has had way too much influence on the playing side .

We the fans know we were lied to with glass reported as being the best candidate LIE.

We for the most part gave it a chance, after all what do we know?.

So most renewed their season tickets, dna, bought the shirts etc.

It's over Mr Cormack read above line,AFC finances are about to fall off a cliff and you will have the support and finances this current team deserve.

Players will be tired from running about on that sodden pitch while St Johnstone have fresh legs. Disaster written all over it.

What planet are you on, you will win no problem on Tuesday,we are just dreadful. Easy three points for you.

17 minutes ago, Game of throw-ins said:

The myth here is that it would have been a scoosh to hire somebody good, but we perversely didn't bother.

The history of our last, say, 10 managers proves otherwise.  It's seriously hard to find somebody good.

Out of those 10 McInnes was a success and you could maybe make a case for Calderwood.

Most of them looked decent on paper when appointed and were welcomed by the majority of fans.  But, depending on your view of Calderwood, 80-90% failed.

This isn't unique to Aberdeen.  A very high percentage of managerial appointments fail and fail fairly quickly.

We didn't have to appoint Glass, and we were probably stupid to do it.  But the probablity that whoever else we'd appointed instead would have been good is very low.

Let's not try and suggest that we went for the right man each time but it went wrong.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any Aberdeen supporter who thought Alex Miller would excite the fans.

Even a tiny bit of research would've discovered that Steve Paterson was an alcoholic with a gambling problem and probably wasn't best suited for a job with media glare.

Mark McGhee declared himself only interested in taking the Aberdeen job if he didn't get offered the Celtic job. Announcing that publicly should have discounted him, as should the fact he wanted to disappear back to Brighton after each game.

Craig Brown was past retirement age.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find any Aberdeen supporter who thought Stephen Glass was best qualified for the position.

None of these looked "decent" on paper beforehand, apart from perhaps Brown.

Edited by Bogbrush1903