The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

3 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

I'm afraid KJ, we're about 90 mins (or 120 + pens) from this season turning to shit. 

I don't see how this lot galvanise after being knocked out the cup, if that's what happens. 

As always, should it go tits up tomorrow, I hope I'm wrong. 

I know that it will be disastrous if we lose tomorrow, but Stephen Glass is not going to get binned, no matter the furore. He will be given a chance to get to fourth, which is the best that we could hope for in these circumstances.

If he goes, it'll be Robson I think. Shiney toothed Dave needs to implement the new signing policy which could be a game changer. It's nuts to go down this route then bin it 5 months before you can bring in these stat based signings. 

If this all fails then Dave and his American buddies will be run out of town. I believe our new strategy is correct for the future well being and increased success but it needs to get over the line. Everyone we sign in summer should have decent stats from this season not 3 or 4 years ago like McInnes went for hoping the knee issues our new signing had don't come home to roost.

We all laughed at Deeks accident and emergency signings, if this works, hopefully guys like Devlin, Gleeson etc are a thing of the past. Fit and career on an upwards trajectory will hopefully apply to all future signings.

34 minutes ago, gudge1903 said:

If he goes, it'll be Robson I think. Shiney toothed Dave needs to implement the new signing policy which could be a game changer. It's nuts to go down this route then bin it 5 months before you can bring in these stat based signings. 

If this all fails then Dave and his American buddies will be run out of town. I believe our new strategy is correct for the future well being and increased success but it needs to get over the line. Everyone we sign in summer should have decent stats from this season not 3 or 4 years ago like McInnes went for hoping the knee issues our new signing had don't come home to roost.

We all laughed at Deeks accident and emergency signings, if this works, hopefully guys like Devlin, Gleeson etc are a thing of the past. Fit and career on an upwards trajectory will hopefully apply to all future signings.

This.

Mowbray and co will have a decent shortlist of players for every position needed in the summer. It should be markedly better than any and all previous recruitment strategies we've had in the past. Theres no question our recruitment success rate should improve. Football fans want instant results and unfortunately this season was never going to bring that however I believe next season will be a fairer assessment of Glass' abilities as he should have the required players at his disposal.

We have made a shift away from the traditional model where a manager is in control of recruitment and hired several new positions in addition to trying to change the style of football. One of the reasons Glass was hired was to oversee the transformation of the football operation.  He was willing to go through the turmoil as he was used to the Atlanta structure and not being in charge of recruitment. Very few managers would be willing to risk their reputation.

For those that are interested and can be bothered watching 13 short videos, the following gives a good indication of the model I believe Aberdeen are trying to implement. Monchi is regarded as one of the best in the world and is well known for beating the transfer market. Also note they need 12 months of planning to scout players i.e. its far too soon to judge our new recruitment team (wait till the summer). Vicente Besuijen is the first real signing under the new recruitment strategy and he looks excellent.

I think we just have to be patient. If we get the right players in and we click, we will absolutely smash the majority of teams next season.

It seemingly takes a season to scout these players like Besuijen. Theyre not going to come if we ditch Cormack's prawcess for McInnes and we end up chasing also rans and has beens or serial crocks again.

We need guys on an upwards trajectory signing earlier in their careers.

It still might fail but it hasn't been fully implemented yet.

If the prawcess improves the quality of player we have tied down to a lengthy deal then in future a more experienced and competent manager will reap the rewards.

It's crap just now, but this could be that dip before a major push to challenge for silverware over a few seasons not just hit and hope like every season has been since Alex Smith left. We've had no plan and no direction for 30 years.

6 hours ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

I think the noise will be too much, personally. 

Won't be long til they are phoning about for season tickets again. 

What do you think should happen, should we be out the cup at this time tomorrow? 

Gnashing of teeth, and a fair bit of shouting and screaming. 

Aye this could all go horribly wrong. Dave must be sitting in Atlanta praying to the tooth fairy that his wee pal can bail him out in the cup to buy the prawcess time and some goodwill from the majority of us.

When glass was appointed and Dave kinda outlined the path we were about to head down one of the benefits I saw in glass was if he doesn't work out then he should be cheap to get shot of and if he's a success he'd be cheap to tie down because of  Dave.

Fingers crossed this works, it is bad just now but there's a big transition happening and I suppose those last two fourth place finishes have left us pissed off and more so because we've regressed just now.

Dump the dead wood and start from scratch in the summer.

15 minutes ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

I'm sorry, I can't agree with any of that. 

The problem isn't so much the structure, but more so who's in it and where and why. 

I really can't understand any defence of Glass at this point. We have the 3rd best budget in the league and we are 9th. We've kept two clean sheets in 30+ matches, and have the second worst away record in the league. 

I would've taken being patient as a couple cup semis and a top 4 finish. 

Not being knocked out both at early stages and battling for top 6. Granted, the Scottish Cup part of that will be clearer later on today. This is where standards drop, and how they drop. Can we afford to give these guys another window? Richardson will be here regardless but I'd rid us of Gunn, Glass and his staff, and get some people in who are actually;

1.) Seasoned professionals at what they do 

2.) Know precisely how to make the structure function

Aberdeen Football Club shouldn't be a training opportunity. Ever. There's too many first timers in the building. No balance has been struck. 

We should never accept the type of season we're having, currently, ever. 

Transition or not, the guy at the helm should be getting us at least top 4 and at the very least one trip to Hampden. 

I hope he can do both, but lose today and it absolutely has to be tatties. 

Fourth and a cup final would be a good season for us in the context of the last 30 years. 

I think the most important thing is that we should be able to see improvement and the new style starting to be effective. We're not seeing that and i think we won't but i don't think it's unreasonable to give Glass the season. If we lose today i hope we don't. 

Agree on the mix. Feels like an experienced assistant or DOF could really add something. 

17 hours ago, scoobles said:

Did you miss the last two McInnes seasons? 

Exactly. 

The fans wanted a more dynamic style of play from him and he was your most successful manager in how long? And he got the boot. Not saying it was wrong he left, how many times did he draw/lose to the likes of Accies/StMirren ect near the end of his reign? Too many. 

It's a tricky one for Aberdeen. You have started a new project and have put the structure in place at the club. If Glass goes (will Dave punt him this season ?) the powers at be will want someone to be able to slot in. That rules out a certain percentage of managers (like Goodwin) who want full control of transfers.

Majority of posters on here (aberdeen fans or not) knew it was going to be a bedding in period regardless who took over from McInnes and it was going to be likely Aberdeen would slip down the table a bit. 

Too long didn't read, it looks like it's all down to one man, if the fans aren't happy with the way it's going you'll have to find a way of sending a message to him. What's the best way? Hurting his pockets.

2 hours ago, IDoNotKnowThisOne said:

This is where standards drop, and how they drop. Can we afford to give these guys another window? Richardson will be here regardless but I'd rid us of Gunn, Glass and his staff, and get some people in who are actually;

Russ Richardson? He's at Liverpool now

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

Fourth and a cup final would be a good season for us in the context of the last 30 years. 

I think the most important thing is that we should be able to see improvement and the new style starting to be effective. We're not seeing that and i think we won't but i don't think it's unreasonable to give Glass the season. If we lose today i hope we don't. 

Agree on the mix. Feels like an experienced assistant or DOF could really add something. 

It will be interesting to see what McCormack duz if the mighty well beat the Dons for the 3rd time this season,Glass made poor decisions at the league cup game against Raith.
There has been a lot of very poor results so far this season going out the Scottish cup ends the season for most Sheep.
I still think Aberdeen have a top six squad playing Motherwell twice in a week may be the deciding factor but which one do the Dons fans think is more important?
Dave pulling the trigger could get the managerial bounce into the top 6 with the season done.