The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

5 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Not that I've seen.

On that note, seemed a bit of needle between Robson and Andrew Shinie yesterday 🤣

I listened to Shinie and MacDermid's thoughts yesterday, after obviously deciding that I wasn't already annoyed enough about goings on at Pittodrie, so needed something else to get wound up about.

I was pleased to learn that they are confident that Neil Lennon (or "Lenny", as they called him) won't be our next manager, as he would be straight on the phone to McInnes, who would presumably advise him against it. Plenty of thinly-veiled digs at Cormack too, perhaps unsurprisingly. 

Edited by DrewDon

On 14/02/2022 at 10:34, Dons_1988 said:

I’m less convinced he’ll be a good manager. I think he lacked some media skills and man management. He blamed the players for most of the failings publicly and he absolutely hung ojo out to dry at tannadice. 

Not to say he can’t learn but think it’s more than just tactical naivety. 

Grinding out wins is part of it but I think in too many games the opposition just did the basic stuff better than us. 

I said pretty early on the defence would be what kills us this season and I think it’s proven out. I could have just about coped with us being a blunt attacking force as we learned the new style if we didn’t concede horrendous, simple, basic goals just about every week. 5 clean sheets in 40 or whatever it was is a one way route to getting sacked. 

Most of your first paragraph was (and still is) said about Cathro. If Glass goes on to have half as good a coaching career as Cathro, he can be happy with himself.

34 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

Most of your first paragraph was (and still is) said about Cathro. If Glass goes on to have half as good a coaching career as Cathro, he can be happy with himself.

I think he will go on to have a good career in football, almost certainly. I just meant specifically as a manager. 

19 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think he will go on to have a good career in football, almost certainly. I just meant specifically as a manager. 

Indeed. I’m agreeing with you. I’m just pointing out that if you switched the names about it would be almost exactly like reading a post from Hearts supporters about Cathro.

The more I see who the apparent possibilities to be our new manager are, the more I’m warming to Jim Goodwin. Every job he’s had so far has been an improvement on what’s gone before, so to give him another opportunity to improve himself seems reasonable. He’s my man.

22 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Aye I’m nae getting carried away but he seems like he could be the best out all the young lads . He. constantly demands the ball even when he is tightly marked , that’s how confident he is .  always gets it moving quick . Touch and passing is great and likes get stuck in . Few appearances seen now,  all well positive . Looking forward see him get good run now .

Have to be honest I’m strangely subdued about the whole manager situation. 

Goodwin wouldn’t excite me at all but I’m not so up my own arse to know that he couldn’t be a success. My apathy towards mcinnes appointment proves that. 

I feel a bit disillusioned with the whole football operation as a whole really, I don’t think a new manager will be a silver bullet, we’re in for another summer of a large turnover of players and I don’t have huge faith in cormack to get the right people in place. 

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Goodwin wouldn’t excite me at all but I’m not so up my own arse to know that he couldn’t be a success. My apathy towards mcinnes appointment proves that. 

I feel a bit disillusioned with the whole football operation as a whole really, I don’t think a new manager will be a silver bullet, we’re in for another summer of a large turnover of players and I don’t have huge faith in cormack to get the right people in place. 

Same here, can't see how Goodwin fits in with this vision of attacking football. We need somebody to organise the defence, while still getting goals at the other end, which also seems to be a problem, going by the shots/goals ratio.

That Motherwell manager might fit the bill...

8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm actually confident he'll get it sorted.

He's got a giant ego. Won't like the fact he's had to explain why he went radio silent for the better part of a month. Doesn't want to take the hassle that comes with things going shite.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Far too early to judge Mowbray and the recruitment dept. But if Besuijen is any indication then things are looking positive there. Also, this kind of structure helps with continuity. One manager might have a great eye for talent, the next maybe not so much. In theory it's a good way of working, as long as the manager is on board.

Question marks certainly remain on the boards ability to pick the right manager however.

I don’t have an issue with the structure itself. I have concerns with how we filled the roles first time round. 

It could just be naivety/teething issues at our first attempt but I think it was fairly obvious that the lack of experience throughout the structure was a concern. It didn’t need 9-10 months of shite to work it out for me. 

I also have never questioned Daves intentions to get things right and make us a modern club and all the rest of it. I just am yet to be convinced he has the ability to carry it out. 

8 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I'm the same don't think there is a manager out there at the moment. If it was 2 weeks earlier then I would have went for Alex Neil. If Robson can get results in the next few games then I would keep him in till someone comes available.

Edited by betting competition