The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

22 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Fairly depressing reading our stats against the bigot brothers since 2016.

image.png.a4b71f85762af8da75206dbcced5effe.png

image.png.79f67e83bb286271fee94ac052e0e56a.png

We're slightly better against Rangers but of course they're slightly worse than Celtic.

As a nerd, I felt an overwhelming urge to spreadsheet these to aid comparability.

Based on the Gd above, the difference is slight but on points we’ve done ~2.5x   times better against Rangers, with 15 point’s compared to 6. That’s 21.74% of available points (23.81% of points awarded), compared to 8.33% (8.70%) against Celtic.

I’ve compared this to Statista’s average salary estimates for 19/20. (Most recent I could see). We have 15.69% of Celtic’s budget and 21.62% of Rangers’.

Using the total points awarded and assuming that expected distribution of points is proportional to budgets, we’ve overperformed by 10% against blue cheek and underperformed by 45% against Celtic.

Unfortunately, that’s no less depressing reading.

5 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Fairly depressing reading our stats against the bigot brothers since 2016.

image.png.a4b71f85762af8da75206dbcced5effe.png

image.png.79f67e83bb286271fee94ac052e0e56a.png

We're slightly better against Rangers but of course they're slightly worse than Celtic.

I can also think of quite a few games against Rangers where we've been quite unlucky to lose/draw whereas I feel like we're just often awful against Celtic.

0-0 against Celtic with a few minutes to go. We Lose 1-0.

2-1 up against The Rangers with 3 minutes to go. We Lose 3-2.

Something seriously wrong there. So negative and so vulnerable at the back. The substitutions were terrible. Dropping points in the manner we did is a sore one to take.

Morris, Richardson and Stewart have been stinking. Defence needs some serious investment.

Edit: Barron looked promising last season but has regressed big time under Goodwin. What's going on there!?

Edited by HarleyQuinn

On 19/12/2022 at 10:04, DunbartonshireRed said:

We defended on our own 18 yard line and the midfield were dropping deeper by the minute. This effectively gave us a back 8 and 40 yard garp between 2 strikers up against their defence.

Appreciate the honest replies from you lads. Tonight was the first time I’ve watched Aberdeen outside of games against us and I totally get the frustration now!

19 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Barron looked promising last season but has regressed big time under Goodwin. What's going on there!?

Did he? I only watched the second half but he looked one of your better players?

As an aside, is Clarkson Scottish? I didn't realise you only had him on loan.

Just now, Alert Mongoose said:

Did he? I only watched the second half but he looked one of your better players?

As an aside, is Clarkson Scottish? I didn't realise you only had him on loan.

Barron first half wasn't at his best - not many were. Second half he was much improved. However if you saw him last season compared to the majority of matches this season, you too would be questioning what's happened to him. He's a great talent but I don't believe Goodwin is currently utilizing Barron to the best of his abilities. He's far better than his performances have shown this season.

5 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

That’s Goodwin done I’m afraid 

The fans will never forgive him for that 

Shame 

I like him but I don’t think he’s the answer anymore and it will be a very steep uphill battle for him to ever get the fans onside again 

I'm trying to avoid being in the Goodwin out camp but I agree with everything else you have said there. He's lost the fans this week.

Saturday was utter shitebag behaviour but it didn't annoy me greatly, I felt deflated more than anything.

Tonight is a lot worse for me for Goodwin. To be 2-1 up and to lose all attacking momentum with that triple sub is utterly self defeating. Having seen us lose a late goal on Saturday, to switch to sitting back with our defence and fail to learn is beyond belief.

I got Saturday. I didn't agree with it but I got what he was trying to achieve. I don't get that tonight, I really don't understand what the subs were ever going to achieve.

4 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

That’s Goodwin done I’m afraid 

The fans will never forgive him for that 

Shame 

I like him but I don’t think he’s the answer anymore and it will be a very steep uphill battle for him to ever get the fans onside again 

I don't think Goodwin is done by any means. He's a young manager whose still learning. 

We are third in the league and in a cup semi final. Compared to last season that is a fair improvement in a relatively short period of time. He's only had one transfer window to date. He needs to improve the squad once again in the January transfer window. Defence should be the focus and a centre mid.

We need to bounce backhand move on from this week and see where that takes us.

I may have a bit of knee jerk reaction here, time will tell. However, Goodwin and go and f**k himself into the sea. **** are weak at the back but strong in midfield and upfront. We are getting wired into them and decide to abandon the successful strategy for the same negative shite that got is fuxk all at the weekend. 
thanks Jim, xmas ruined ya negative small team minded inferiority complexed c**t.

7 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

We are third in the league and in a cup semi final.

This is factually correct, but there are two teams with games in hand below you who could send you fifth by winning winnable games. And the League Cup run has essentially been a bye so far (even though they did their best to get knocked out by Annan).

He'll be gone soon.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Struggling to remember a post-match when I emerged from Pittodrie more despondent than tonight. I mean, there are bad ways to lose a game - and then there's that. The draw would have been very disappointing given how long we were in the lead, but to lose it is unforgiveable. That wasn't even anything approaching a good Rangers team, which makes it even worse. 

I have praised Roos on here, but the equaliser is on him. Then the winner is pure amateur hour stuff all round. 

I don't even know what else to say. Seeing their players giving it to the RDS at full-time was just gutting. 

Edited by DrewDon

Just now, DrewDon said:

Struggling to remember a post-match when I emerged from Pittodrie more despondent than tonight. I mean, there are bad ways to lose a game - and then there's that. The draw would have been very disappointing given how long we were in the lead, but to lose it is unforgiveable. That wasn't even anything approaching a good Rangers team, which makes it even worse. 

I have praised Roos on here, but the equaliser is on him. Then the winner is pure amateur hour stuff all round. 

I don't even know what else to say. Seeing their players giving it to the RDS at full-time was just gutting. 

And this is why it’s unforgivable 

I honestly couldn’t give a bollocks if we’re sitting 3rd right now above a patchy Hearts, an abhorrent Hibs and Livingston ffs 

Thats the bare minimum we should expect and we should’ve picked up a hell of a lot more points at this stage of the season than we have 

The LC semi is a red herring, we’ve beat absolutely nobody to be there and Sevco will roll us over at Hampden 

Can’t wait :rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Tonight is a lot worse for me for Goodwin. To be 2-1 up and to lose all attacking momentum with that triple sub is utterly self defeating. Having seen us lose a late goal on Saturday, to switch to sitting back with our defence and fail to learn is beyond belief.

I got Saturday. I didn't agree with it but I got what he was trying to achieve. I don't get that tonight, I really don't understand what the subs were ever going to achieve.

I think the idea was that Watkins is clever and would get fouls to get the team up the pitch and Morris would have the movement to pin them back. This really didn't work as neither got us up the park and Watkins in particular made far too little effort to close them down for a man only on for 25mins. If we play our 2 strikers to start we need a better third option to come on. Obviously we need another centre back first. I thought Richardson did well going forward today.

36 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Barron first half wasn't at his best - not many were. Second half he was much improved. However if you saw him last season compared to the majority of matches this season, you too would be questioning what's happened to him. He's a great talent but I don't believe Goodwin is currently utilizing Barron to the best of his abilities. He's far better than his performances have shown this season.

This red Barron defo an imposter 

21 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Sums up how I felt leaving Pittodrie tonight. I mean, as always, people will defend the manager and his tactics but that was a kick in the teeth tonight after Saturday's shitshow and I can't remember feeling so disappointed after leaving a home match.