The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

McGrath seems a strange signing for Aberdeen from the outside looking in. He had a real purple patch with us (St Mirren)  but those numbers were vastly inflated by us getting a ridiculous amount of penalties that season. He did score a peach against you guys in Paisley though. 

I'm genuinely not convinced he would get in our first XI just now so can only assume he's going to be a squad player for you.

I think McGrath will surprise and do well. If you've got a decent head working midfeild around him and some strikers who can put the ball away he's going to be an asset. At the risk of slagging off my own team, he's never really had the chance in a good side that will dominate possession and play to his strengths.

37 minutes ago, Abstract said:

McGrath seems a strange signing for Aberdeen from the outside looking in. He had a real purple patch with us (St Mirren)  but those numbers were vastly inflated by us getting a ridiculous amount of penalties that season. He did score a peach against you guys in Paisley though. 

I'm genuinely not convinced he would get in our first XI just now so can only assume he's going to be a squad player for you.

i pretty certain  he wont be  be in our starting 11.  for me its  a decent  squad signing.  and beefs up our bench .

1 hour ago, Abstract said:

We played well against Celtic but lacked depth.

We tired and had to carry on with what we had whilst they took quality off the bench.

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

The Record reporting the Jensen deal is close too.

Bound to be cheaper than Scales, looks to be a similar build, is handsomer. Fingers crossed he can adapt pretty quickly. Scales had 1/3 of a good season for us, so I never saw him as an entirely safe bet. I agree with others that McGrath is underwhelming and not the best look for us, but I also agree that to pick a guy up on a free who isn't injury-riddled and has performed well in the league before (although not last year) is a fair enough call given how thin the squad is. 

Edited by Ampersand

I know this will happen up and down the land and is just how working in football is, but it's objectively funny to think of Barry Robson telling McGrath how thrilled he is to have him in the building etc. A guy who's been available all summer, who they know all about, and they could have signed any time since June and had him integrated into the squad, fully match-fit etc, but are now picking up with about ten minutes of the window left because they have looked the world over and found nobody else.

Huge vote of confidence for the lad, imo.

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

I know this will happen up and down the land and is just how working in football is, but it's objectively funny to think of Barry Robson telling McGrath how thrilled he is to have him in the building etc. A guy who's been available all summer, who they know all about, and they could have signed any time since June and had him integrated into the squad, fully match-fit etc, but are now picking up with about ten minutes of the window left because they have looked the world over and found nobody else.

Huge vote of confidence for the lad, imo.

True, but after being released by a shambles of a club and being part of a horrifically embarrassing relegation last season, he is well aware he’s won a watch signing at a decent level with a prospect of group stage European football. 

This is a mutually beneficial mercenary signing right here. 

In fairness McGrath only terminated his contract at Wigan about 4 weeks ago, and I can imagine there were some legal problems around that given the nature of his departure, so it's not inconceivable he's only been around for a wee while.

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

True, but after being released by a shambles of a club and being part of a horrifically embarrassing relegation last season, he is well aware he’s won a watch signing at a decent level with a prospect of group stage European football. 

This is a mutually beneficial mercenary signing right here. 

Oh, he's done well, no question. Not the worst signing. You definitely need numbers.

It just reminds me a bit of the OAE Gordon Strachan / Derek Riordan / Jakey substitution sketch. Except Aberdeen have failed to find a jakey.

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

After seeing what was posted about him earlier in the thread I can't say this sounds inspiring.

Looks like a different 'option'.

In this league, it sometimes pays to have a big unit up front - though they often struggle to win over many of our fans. 

Again, maybe signs that there is a Plan B & C - and finally something resembling a squad equipped to fight on three fronts between now and the turn of the year.     

I genuinely thought the club would happily wait it out until deadline day, with the usual loan options - but if landed, these signings would remain consistent with Barry stating he would prefer more 'Aberdeen players'' after finishing last season with eight first team squad players that belonged to other clubs.

Edited by tarapoa

McGrath should at least be an upgrade on Polvara. It would be nice to have one more option in there, especially if Barron isn't in serious contention. 

I rate Scales higher than most of our fans, but I would imagine that they have settled on Jensen as an alternative because he has a similar profile.