The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I'm not surprised at all by the results to date as I fully anticipated a slow start to the season. It's usually the end of September before the players are up to speed and the team has started to gel. As I recall, Duk didn't get going until October/November of last season. Maybe not an excuse but we were also handed a tough set of fixtures to kick off the new campaign.

I'm generally quite pleased with the new players who have arrived. Rubezic aside, they've all looked very promising. Regarding Rubezic, he just needs some time out of the limelight to acclimatize himself with the game/culture in Scotland. No denying he's looked suspect at times however I'm not willing to write him off yet.

I am disappointed the club didn't manage to replace Ramadani. It's pretty poor given we had 6 weeks to replace him however we have to  move on.

An update from the club regarding Dadia, Williams and Vinny would be appreciated. Supposedly Robson is very impressed by Williams in training so his presence at the back would be a welcome boost.

We're only 4 games in. Lots of football still to be played (34 games left). The Edinburgh sides have also had a dreadful start. The International break has probably come at the right time for us. We've got a good squad of players. As we saw last season, a couple of wins can propel you up the league table.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s not really the results tbh. Sunday is the only really bad individual result so far this season.

The lack of any sort of real plan for either attacking or defending is the biggest worry. 

This is what worries me too. Agree that on paper Sunday is the only crap result so far, but the lack of defensive shape, one-dimensional attacking and lack of tactical flexibility is going to lead to many more results of a similar ilk.

Broadly agree with @kingjoey's initial assessment of the new players too. I do think Rubezic could come good, but he's been badly overexposed so far. Needs a bit of time and stability, but the disorganisation in defence will prevent the latter.

1 hour ago, Ampersand said:

This is what worries me too. Agree that on paper Sunday is the only crap result so far, but the lack of defensive shape, one-dimensional attacking and lack of tactical flexibility is going to lead to many more results of a similar ilk.

Broadly agree with @kingjoey's initial assessment of the new players too. I do think Rubezic could come good, but he's been badly overexposed so far. Needs a bit of time and stability, but the disorganisation in defence will prevent the latter.

It should have been obvious to our manager from Ruby's first training session that he's going to struggle out wide against a quick winger. 

I'm sure he'll be fine if his job is to win headers and tackles whilst making short passes to more technically gifted teammates.

9 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I really don’t get why people think he won’t see out the month. 

Fans may have lost patience but I doubt he’s anywhere near that with the board. 

I’ve had my doubts since his appointment but I still think it would be harsh to do it imminently. 

I have major doubts with Robson but so many new players we must give him time to get it right. 

I think he will see out the month as fixtures are very tough but by the end of October if results haven't improved then I can see the board sacking him. Twitter has been brutal the last few weeks. 

Edited by betting competition

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I really don’t get why people think he won’t see out the month. 

Fans may have lost patience but I doubt he’s anywhere near that with the board. 

I’ve had my doubts since his appointment but I still think it would be harsh to do it imminently. 

Maybe…BUT…. 
The next 5 fixtures are, in the main, very challenging through September.

Hearts away - they’re shite but our record there is terrible. 
Frankfurt away - could be 5+. 
Ross County home - must win. 
Ross County away in cup - must win. 
The Rangers away - defeat

If we get papped out the Cup & do as I’m suggesting above, the fans will crank up their dissatisfaction & Cormack will be more than aware.

I don’t think Robson has what it takes to change &/or get the best out of this squad. 
Poor results added to horrendous football is only going to end one way. 

And it’s not knee-jerk either. 
Say we only win Ross County at home, that would be 3 wins in about 18-20 games or thereabouts? 
All hypothesis to be fair, but the way we’re playing, it’s extremely realistic. 

Edited by Thenorthernlight

12 minutes ago, betting competition said:

I have major doubts with Robson but so many new players we must give him time to get it right. 

I think he will see out the month as fixtures are very tough but by the end of October if results haven't improved then I can the board sacking him. Twitter has been brutal the last few weeks. 

And let’s be honest, Dave Cormack will be well aware of the fans thoughts.

On 01/05/2023 at 14:26, Bogbrush1903 said:

I must be in the minority because I think Robson and Agnew are the right men for the job at the right time.

For once, I think Dave Cormack has got this appointment spot on.

Old Boggy's changed his tune rather quickly !