The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

8 hours ago, HunterAFC said:

Honestly I think we just have to suffer through the season and punt Robson at the end, having managers come in part way through the season with the window closed doesn't feel like it helps. I think there might be a good manager in there but he seems wedded to reverting to a back 5 because it worked so well when he came in.

I think we're really missing McRorie and his energy/ability to break lines which is required if you're going to attack from deep with wing backs.

McCrorie has definitely been a bigger miss than I think some, perhaps including myself, were anticipating.

Whether we are in a back four or a back five, we are currently very dependent on Devlin and Mackenzie to provide our width going forward. You can tell that side of the game isn't the most natural to them, especially Mackenzie. Devlin makes a decent fist of it, and has chipped in with a few goals along the way, but even with him the final ball can be a bit of a lottery. It also just makes us quite predictable and one-dimensional to play against, manifesting itself in an over-reliance on crosses from some relatively deep positions.

I think there is a route to making the 4-5-1 work, but it likely needs more genuine width on at least one side against the majority of teams we play domestically - and the creative burden from wide areas to be shared out. I wouldn't mind seeing Duk, or even Duncan, ahead of Mackenzie. It would simplify the game for Mackenzie as more of an old-fashioned full-back, and also give a bit of space to whoever is playing in front of him, as I don't think Duk especially is the sort of player who would necessarily need nor want a full-back constantly occupying the spaces ahead of him (a bit like peak Hayes with Considine, I suppose). 

5 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

So, you've got a good record in games v Dundee because you papped going to watch your team because they were shite, and went back once they improved?

Sound.

ETA: That is absolutely your right, but it gives a bit of context to the "I've been going to Pittodrie for 300 years and have never seen Dundee win".

Haha, yeah because we've been utterly magic since 2003...

12 hours ago, betting competition said:

Dundee proved to be a bogey team for us at Pittodrie during the late 90s and early 2000s. We experienced a challenging period, losing five consecutive matches and going 15 games without a victory over a span of 17 years.

And we had a good record during that time at Dens 

15 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

fucking hell.

Groan. The boards way of telling us that the season has been written off? Or, are they playing it cool while their feet are paddling like mad below the waterline?

31 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Clarifies it a bit here.

That sounds to me like we've had a few knock backs and are having to scramble.

Which is about right for this season.

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

That sounds to me like we've had a few knock backs and are having to scramble.

Which is about right for this season.

The fact we've not got a winger to replace Vinny worries me. We can't carry on playing 5 centre mids across the pitch for the rest of the season.

Feels a bit like the end of Derek. Throw a bit of shit at the wall, of it works for a while great. Then persevere with it until your hand is forced in to a new formation.

Mate sent me this... I couldn’t resist. New striker on his way. Last scored at Pittodrie 1975. Stone overweight but great teeth! Been scouring Europe for one or two strikers. January an awful time to recruit. This is the worst in living memory. More than ever AFC needs all of us.

6 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Mate sent me this... I couldn’t resist. New striker on his way. Last scored at Pittodrie 1975. Stone overweight but great teeth! Been scouring Europe for one or two strikers. January an awful time to recruit. This is the worst in living memory. More than ever AFC needs all of us.

Plastic PVC Toy Football Players Figures Custom 3D Soccer Player Action  Figures