The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, Moorie said:

From 2015-2017 was when we really peaked. As you say it’s criminal how we didn’t win a few extra trophies with that bunch and the state of Scottish football at the time. 
Always feel if Russell Anderson was just a few years younger him in the defence with that team 🤤

That Celtic 16/17 team as good as any they’ve had in the last 20 years and they had to be as think that Dons team was as good as we’ve had since 92/93

11 hours ago, starryfish said:

That Celtic 16/17 team as good as any they’ve had in the last 20 years and they had to be as think that Dons team was as good as we’ve had since 92/93

11 hours ago, starryfish said:

Yes the arrival of Brendon Rodgers was the changer that season. Was the end of that team after the Scottish cup too.

was a good little period for Scottish football that few years though 

12 hours ago, starryfish said:

I know I'll get Aberdeen fans mocking me again, but are you seriously suggesting you couldve won the title in 16/17 if Celtic were a bit worse?

They finished 30pts ahead of you that year and you never made it to 80, which seems to be the minimum number of points to hit to have any chance of a title.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I know I'll get Aberdeen fans mocking me again, but are you seriously suggesting you couldve won the title in 16/17 if Celtic were a bit worse?

They finished 30pts ahead of you that year and you never made it to 80, which seems to be the minimum number of points to hit to have any chance of a title.

Celtic beat us six times that season, including in two cup finals  and a last minute winner in the Scottish cup. 

Had we won those games we'd have had a cup double and been six points behind them in the league. 

Personally, i think that our team that season lacked quality at centre back.

But it's not crazy to suggest that Celtic being exceptional stopped us winning trophies. If we'd come up against a poor Celtic team we could have won stuff. Far worse teams have won cup doubles. 

On 06/06/2024 at 16:28, RandomGuy. said:

Considering his issues with homesickness, how badly he was treated as a person at Arsenal by the end, and his injury issues, he genuinely might return tbf.

Homesickness ? London’s about an hour on the plane and 4 hours on the train 😂.

Just now, Grangemouth Bairn said:

He was pretty open about struggling with it, partly because he's lost multiple friends to suicide and was starting to panic that going home to an empty house every night and doing nothing was sending him the same way.

I'm sure he ended up moving in with a club chef or something.

A snippet from an interview with Neil Lennon on today's BBC Scotland website. 

"The Northern Irishman revealed there was contact with Aberdeen and Hibs, although not much more.

"I had a brief conversation with Aberdeen in March or April, but that's all it was," he said."

I imagine that this is how it went;

"Hi Dave, Neil here. Any chance of the Aberdeen job?"

"F*ck off Neil. "

45 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He was pretty open about struggling with it, partly because he's lost multiple friends to suicide and was starting to panic that going home to an empty house every night and doing nothing was sending him the same way.

I'm sure he ended up moving in with a club chef or something.

I’m sure the chef was his mate as well but yeah that does ring a bell.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, if Celtic had won fewer matches and Aberdeen had won more matches then Aberdeen could have won the league 

On 08/06/2024 at 07:00, RandomGuy. said:

We finished on 76 that season with 0/12 vs Celtic. 

The previous season, Celtic finished on 86 with two defeats to us. It’s not inconceivable that we could’ve caught them with a couple of wins against them with our 16/17 team, which was better than our 15/16 side.

On 08/06/2024 at 17:21, Grangemouth Bairn said:

He's hardly going to be commuting up and down every day so he may as well be 4,000 miles as 400 miles away.  

34 minutes ago, hk blues said:

He's hardly going to be commuting up and down every day so he may as well be 4,000 miles as 400 miles away.  

Ok, so London is very accessible from Coatbridge on various methods of travel ie. Car/Train/Plane and I’m sure he regularly pays for his friends and family to visit him given he’ll be a very rich young man. London is also a very cosmopolitan city which will 100% cater for the English speaking.

You however are suggesting KT would not be any more homesick if he lived in Pakistan which is c.4000 miles from Coatbridge ?

I 100% disagree.

3 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Ok, so London is very accessible from Coatbridge on various methods of travel ie. Car/Train/Plane and I’m sure he regularly pays for his friends and family to visit him given he’ll be a very rich young man. London is also a very cosmopolitan city which will 100% cater for the English speaking.

You however are suggesting KT would not be any more homesick if he lived in Pakistan which is c.4000 miles from Coatbridge ?

I 100% disagree.

It's called exaggerating for emphasis.

The point is unless someone is within daily travelling distance of their home then being homesick is certainly possible.  I'm sure plenty of Scots living in London suffer from it regardless of how wealthy or otherwise they are. You're assuming that the many attractions of London are something everyone is looking for - it's simply not true.

4 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's called exaggerating for emphasis.

The point is unless someone is within daily travelling distance of their home then being homesick is certainly possible.  I'm sure plenty of Scots living in London suffer from it regardless of how wealthy or otherwise they are. You're assuming that the many attractions of London are something everyone is looking for - it's simply not true.

Ok, not sure I get your point regarding 400 vs 4000 miles though.

He also moved to Spain to try and get regular first team football so hopefully that suggests that his homesickness is something he’s been able to conquer 🤞.

We’ll likely get an indication of that this summer when his next club destination is confirmed.

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Ok, not sure I get your point regarding 400 vs 4000 miles though.

He also moved to Spain to try and get regular first team football so hopefully that suggests that his homesickness is something he’s been able to conquer 🤞.

We’ll likely get an indication of that this summer when his next club destination is confirmed.

My point was once you're outside an easy daily commute then it doesn't matter all that much how near or far you are as much of homesickness is in the mind anyway.

I'm not actually all that convinced he is all that homesick and think its more likely a throwaway comment that's been made and folk are putting  lot of weight behind it to give them some hope that he may return to Glasgow sooner rather than later.  I can't see it but let's see.

Aberdeen desperately need to sign someone / sell someone, or release a new kit, because we're now onto the 2nd page of fans from other clubs discussing Kieran Tierney's possible homesickness on the AFC thread.

C'mon Cormack, get yer finger oot min!

1 hour ago, Enrico Pallazzo said:

Aberdeen desperately need to sign someone / sell someone, or release a new kit, because we're now onto the 2nd page of fans from other clubs discussing Kieran Tierney's possible homesickness on the AFC thread.

C'mon Cormack, get yer finger oot min!

Agree with the sentiment but I’m going to refrain from engaging with a certain tabloid paper reporting on a certain out of contract young midfielder of ours joining a certain club. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Agree with the sentiment but I’m going to refrain from engaging with a certain tabloid paper reporting on a certain out of contract young midfielder of ours joining a certain club. 

Surprised it took them so long tbh.