The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I'm personally in favour of McInnes seeing out his contract and using the compo saved for the 2022 appointee to rebuild. 

We still have a good chance of third this season. 

But on the other hand, he signed Curtis Main and has now replaced him with St Johnstone's third/fourth choice, so he's clearly lost the plot. 

11 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I'm personally in favour of McInnes seeing out his contract and using the compo saved for the 2022 appointee to rebuild. 

But on the other hand, he signed Curtis Main and has now replaced him with St Johnstone's third/fourth choice, so he's clearly lost the plot. 

Third is gone.

21 minutes ago, coprolite said:

As if the news of his salary wasn't bad enough there is now rumours of a minimum pay off so the timing of his sacking is apparenty not even all that relevant

Edited by d31

Is this where you tell us we should be happy to sometimes come third, reaching the very occasional cup final and implementing an archaic recruitment policy?

Well the first two are true(i would remove the word sometimes as you should always be aiming for third), albeit this season celtic have been so bad that second should have been in your sights. Europe is a tough one as you are generally always going to come up against a fairly large team before the group stages.

It is definitely time for a change but dont think it means mcinnes is a bad manager.

Edited to add. You also want the football to be fairly entertaining which is fair enough

Read the last 8 pages or so. PAIN.

One comment that is complete shite is the claim he's made us money.

He's made no money from transfers until this season when the Board took it out of his hands to sell mckenna, cosgrove and wright for the sweet sum of £5.2M.

He sold Hayes for £1.3M the summer he didn't go to Sunderland and as part of his negotiations to stay he negotiated to get a portion of it to spend.

Edited by d31

22 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

So you have no idea then. Is that the same board member that gave the guy from Canada our transfers in and out?

Why would I have an idea? You were asking a St Johnstone fan.

2 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Well the first two are true(i would remove the word sometimes as you should always be aiming for third), albeit this season celtic have been so bad that second should have been in your sights. Europe is a tough one as you are generally always going to come up against a fairly large team before the group stages.

It is definitely time for a change but dont think it means mcinnes is a bad manager.

Edited to add. You also want the football to be fairly entertaining which is fair enough

He's a very good manager. He's been in the job so long and can't/won't evolve.

It's obviously an extreme but Ferguson constantly evolved and changed assistants to keep things fresh. Derek has three yes men behind him.

The recruitment is woeful too. Look at Livi. They're very creative with who they bring in. It's not a case of "Big Curtis has caused us problems".

4 minutes ago, d31 said:

Read the last 8 pages or so. PAIN.

One comment that is complete shite is the claim he's made us money.

He's made no money from transfers until this season when the Board took it out of his hands to sell mckenna, cosgrove and wright for the sweet sum of £5.2M.

He sold Hayes for £1.3M the summer he didn't go to Sunderland and as part of his negotiations to stay he negotiated to get a portion of it to spend.

This seems unreasonably angry. Selling players is generally a board decision btw. 

4 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

This seems unreasonably angry. Selling players is generally a board decision btw. 

He persuaded the Board it was a good idea to run down contracts of Jack, McLean and Shinnie rather than market any.

He's been poor at monetising players under his own steam. 

A good spfl manager should be running at a profit - which he wasnt until this season.

We must improve on trading players as part of our future. If we were even half decent at trading players then we could willy nilly buy someone like Allan Campbell and repeat the process. 

A mini version of what Celtic aim for.

Edited by d31

1 minute ago, d31 said:

He persuaded the Board it was a good idea to run down contracts of Jack, McLean and Shinnie rather than market any.

He's been poor at monetising players under his own steam. 

A good spfl manager should be running at a profit - which he wasnt until this season.

Pretty sure the club was profitable and turnover nearly doubled in his time (pre COVID). That came from, you know, being successful on the pitch. Something that I’d categorise as an attribute of a good manager. 

Monetising players isn’t really his job. Recruiting players with a resale value and developing them is part of it but it’s not on him to bring in fees. If the board agreed to keep players for use in the first team instead of selling them that’s on them. Why is it a failing of a manager to want to hang onto his best players? 

47 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Pretty sure the club was profitable and turnover nearly doubled in his time (pre COVID). That came from, you know, being successful on the pitch. Something that I’d categorise as an attribute of a good manager. 

Monetising players isn’t really his job. Recruiting players with a resale value and developing them is part of it but it’s not on him to bring in fees. If the board agreed to keep players for use in the first team instead of selling them that’s on them. Why is it a failing of a manager to want to hang onto his best players? 

McInnes has done a brilliant job. All I'm saying is another tick in the box would be if he was good at trading players. It's an area that requires improvement. I'm hopeful the club will improve on this as it's going to be key to getting better (or using the clubs words 'top 100').

McInnes' greatest strength has become his greatest weakness.  He has generally provided the club with consistency in terms of results and league finishes during his tenure.  There might be an argument to be made that we have come to expect consistency as a support and now that McInnes isn't providing this, we are turning on him.

However, usually, after a poor result, the team will generally regroup and string together a solid run of results.  This was what I thought would happen after the 4-1 defeat to Ross County.  Unfortunately, this hasn't happened & we've gone on a poor run of form since then.

This has been mentioned by other posters & I agree that McInnes' tenure peaked at the Scottish Cup Final in 2017.  Since then we have been on a downward trajectory in terms of league finishes and haven't taken opportunities to win in the cups.

I feel that McInnes should get until the end of the season, he is owed that much at least.  However, I think this depends on what the board's ambitions are for this season.  If they feel it is imperative that the coronavirus financial shortfall is met through the opportunity of group stage participation in the Uefa cup, then they may act sooner.

The 'careful what you wish for' way of thinking comes from a place of fear.  I would rather take the gamble to change the manager next season, whether the outcome of this is better, worse or the same.  This would be preferable to an inevitable Levein-like decline. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
24 minutes ago, d31 said:

The Group stage comment is everything.

3rd v 4th is 100 times more important this season.

Yeap. 

But as with pretty much everything in the last 7 years, it's going to be a case of missed opportunities and 2nd (in this case 4th or 5th) places. 

Hibs have invested with the aim of ending up 3rd in the league. We've had a fire sale and a series of never-ending injuries that have ripped the heart out of our season. 

This season simply looks like it's going to be a microcosm of McInnes's time at Pittodrie. 

Yeap. 
But as with pretty much everything in the last 7 years, it's going to be a case of missed opportunities and 2nd (in this case 4th or 5th) places. 
Hibs have invested with the aim of ending up 3rd in the league. We've had a fire sale and a series of never-ending injuries that have ripped the heart out of our season. 
This season simply looks like it's going to be a microcosm of McInnes's time at Pittodrie. 

You can’t say we haven’t invested. Our playing budget is/was as big as it’s ever been and we purposely extended contracts and made signings last January to ensure we wouldn’t have the usual rebuilding job last summer. This came back to bite us as we had a bloated squad being paid whilst they weren’t allowed to train or play, not even utilising the furlough scheme for much of that time. Whilst the squad looked like it had good depth going into the season, many of these players either haven’t stepped up or don’t suit our new system and we’ve been hit by injury and COVID problems at times. Even when we lost Cosgrove to injury and McKenna to Forest, we went out and brought in two forwards and paid a decent fee for McCrorie. Obviously the picture now looks worse than we anticipated and so we’ve had to cash in on Wright and Cosgrove but you can’t say this squad has lacked investment.

I don’t know the ins and outs of Hibs’ finances. They obviously laid off staff a few months ago, something which we avoided, and this may be benefiting them now but it’s not accurate to say they’ve invested and we haven’t.

Thought I would take a look in on AFC Chat and see what the idiots in our support are saying.

Suffice to say I was not disappointed. 

Names  getting bandied around include Louis Van Gaal, Jurgen Klinsmann & David Wagner 🤣

Edited by Sheep62
Fecking predictive text

8 minutes ago, Sheep62 said:

Thought I would take a look in on AFC Chat and see what the idiots in our support are saying.

Suffice to say I was not disappointed. 

Names  getting bandied around include Louis Van Gaal, Jurgen Klinsmann & David Warner 🤣

We're more likely to end up with a complete no thought appointment like Tommy Wright than anything exciting.