The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

On 04/04/2021 at 10:12, HarleyQuinn said:

A lot of rumours of Leigh Griffiths being in talks with us. However I've recently been told he isn't one of the 3 (not 2) internationalists MainStandMoan was talking about that has given his word to Scott Brown. Players that haven't been mentioned as of yet. Declan Gallagher has agreed to sign on but he's not one of the 3 players. I'm excited about next season.

8 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Scott Burns is distancing Aberdeen from Griffiths now but does say Anderson and Gallagher have been offered contracts.

Also implies Taylor and Hoban will be offered deals as well which seems a surprise as most talk has been that both are definitely away.

No idea what his dons info is like but his stuff on Hibs is scattergun at best.

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

No idea what his dons info is like but his stuff on Hibs is scattergun at best.

He's been very reliable the past few years.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

On the stuff about Hoban, I can't imagine it's a case of whether we want to keep him, more if Tommy feels he's repaid us for the rehabilitation we gave him and fancies trying his hand down South again.

It's interesting if he wants to keep Taylor and Hoban while also taking in Gallagher. We've lacked a bit of depth at the back this season.

Potentially not the best news if he is keen on playing out from the back though.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

He's been very reliable the past few years.

It's interesting if he wants to keep Taylor and Hoban while also taking in Gallagher. We've lacked a bit of depth at the back this season.

Potentially not the best news if he is keen on playing out from the back though.

Indeed. To be honest the playing out from the back makes me very nervous with the current personnel. 

I mean, big Joe is great but he's pretty shite at shelling the ball long, never mind playing the Pirlo role from his own 18 yard box.

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Indeed. To be honest the playing out from the back makes me very nervous with the current personnel. 

I mean, big Joe is great but he's pretty shite at shelling the ball long, never mind playing the Pirlo role from his own 18 yard box.

I posted in the match thread on Saturday that I think Joe's distribution is decent. The main issue for me is he wants too long on the ball. If our defence are deeper to collect the ball from him and then pass it back it's going to increase the pressure immediately.

5 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I posted in the match thread on Saturday that I think Joe's distribution is decent. The main issue for me is he wants too long on the ball. If our defence are deeper to collect the ball from him and then pass it back it's going to increase the pressure immediately.

Nah not sure I can agree. I've felt for a couple of season that a lot of his punts end up out for a throw or nowhere generally.

I'm maybe being harsh but I think we'd agree that him, Taylor and Considine exchanging passes a long our own 18 yard line is a good way to instigate a bowel movement. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

Nah not sure I can agree. I've felt for a couple of season that a lot of his punts end up out for a throw or nowhere generally.

I'm maybe being harsh but I think we'd agree that him, Taylor and Considine exchanging passes a long our own 18 yard line is a good way to instigate a bowel movement. 

I'd like to think that putting an end to this nonsense is the very first thing crayoned into Glass's book of 'things to do'. 

3 times in the first 20 minutes on Saturday did we have a 'passing extravaganza' of over 15 passes, backwards or sideways. Each time it ended up with Saints having a shot on goal, as we eventually made a misplaced pass to someone like McGinn or Hayes, standing on the half way line facing Joe Lewis. 

This shambles first raised its ugly head in Rijeka, and it hasn't got any better since then.

17 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'd like to think that putting an end to this nonsense is the very first thing crayoned into Glass's book of 'things to do'. 

3 times in the first 20 minutes on Saturday did we have a 'passing extravaganza' of over 15 passes, backwards or sideways. Each time it ended up with Saints having a shot on goal, as we eventually made a misplaced pass to someone like McGinn or Hayes, standing on the half way line facing Joe Lewis. 

This shambles first raised its ugly head in Rijeka, and it hasn't got any better since then.

I mean, I'm not against it in principle.

If we were good enough to play our way through a high press then it's very effective but we're just not at the moment. That doesn't mean route one football but Considine taking the ball off of Joe from a goal kick, 6 yards from our own goal is just asking for trouble.

10 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Scott Burns is distancing Aberdeen from Griffiths now but does say Anderson and Gallagher have been offered contracts.

Also implies Taylor and Hoban will be offered deals as well which seems a surprise as most talk has been that both are definitely away.

Unless the story has been edited since you posted, the article only says that "Aberdeen are also keen on a move" for Gallagher. I don't think it'd be any surprise if he has an offer on the table but Burns doesn't explicitly say Aberdeen have offered him a contract.

Said it before but Gallagher/his agent would have to be pretty fucking dumb to commit to an Aberdeen while he still has a decent chance of going to the Euros with Scotland. A good Euros could open up far more opportunities than he has at the moment.

Then again, having seen the way he/his people have carried themselves since January I think it's fair to say they're probably not the galaxy brains making the 4D chess moves they think they are.

16 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Isn’t Scott Burns an Aberdeen fan?

I'm pretty sure he had Fir Park as his Twitter banner for ages so....

12 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Gallagher/his agent would have to be pretty fucking dumb to commit to an Aberdeen while he still has a decent chance of going to the Euros with Scotland. A good Euros could open up far more opportunities than he has at the moment.

Which makes me wonder why S O'D did the same thing wth you guys?

As to Burns, he has some history with Hibs of "suggesting" we are after a player, they are signed by someone else, then runs a story that Hibs were "beaten to the punch" - happened at least twice and we have been told at AGMs etc that Hibs ended the interest in said player.

Dons fans reckon he is accurate with them, so maybe he has better contacts there.