The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Article for the New Stadium: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36272698?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I hope Aberdeen get it built and it has some safe standing. 22,000 with standing would be decent.

Anything could be better than Pittodrie, worst away end in the top flight (outwith Celtic)

This is approximately the new location, a good six mile hike from the train station and just outside where the bypass in set to be.

Screen_Shot_2016_05_11_at_22_26_55.png

First impression is that it's far too far from the city centre. Makes it easier for fans out of town and away fans but its outwith walking distance of virtually the whole city (which wasn't the case with Loirston) so the club are potentially going have to lay on 100+ buses for most matchdays. Serious lack of pubs etc. in the area as well although I would imagine the club would incorporate a 1000+ capacity bar as they were going to do at Loirston. Will be interesting to see what the club says tomorrow anyway.

First question I'd be asking Milne regarding the new stadium is how much cash they have spent on feasibility studies etc for Loirston Loch, hundreds of thousands of pounds wasted.

The amount spent on the Loirston project was over a million, if I recall correctly. Think it was something like 1.9m? 

I could of course be speaking shite.

My girlfriend was at some kind of conference that Milne was at and she was at the same table as him. I relayed messages via text for her to ask. I think only one got through where I said he should build a 25,000 seater and show ambition. He replied that it would be no more than 21,000. Shite. I suspect you all knew that but I thought I'd tell that wee story.

Also that is a horrific place for a football stadium. I hate all this shite about putting stadiums on the outskirts. Everyone knows the best, most atmospheric stadiums are in built up areas with pubs and shops nearby.

My girlfriend was at some kind of conference that Milne was at and she was at the same table as him. I relayed messages via text for her to ask. I think only one got through where I said he should build a 25,000 seater and show ambition. He replied that it would be no more than 21,000. Shite. I suspect you all knew that but I thought I'd tell that wee story.

Also that is a horrific place for a football stadium. I hate all this shite about putting stadiums on the outskirts. Everyone knows the best, most atmospheric stadiums are in built up areas with pubs and shops nearby.

The most atmospheric stadiums are full ones.

I wish we needed 25k capacity, but we just don't. Average attendance is 14k with the team doing well.

Whilst I agree about football grounds being situated out of town, it will be a relief not to have to suffer the traffic nightmare getting to and from Pittodrie.

On balance, I wish we were staying at Pittodrie, but the need for proper training facilities means I grudgingly welcome this.

I watched my team win the Super Cup in that stadium and I loath the thought of leaving. However, it's time to move on.

This is approximately the new location, a good six mile hike from the train station and just outside where the bypass in set to be.

Screen_Shot_2016_05_11_at_22_26_55.png

First impression is that it's far too far from the city centre. Makes it easier for fans out of town and away fans but its outwith walking distance of virtually the whole city (which wasn't the case with Loirston) so the club are potentially going have to lay on 100+ buses for most matchdays. Serious lack of pubs etc. in the area as well although I would imagine the club would incorporate a 1000+ capacity bar as they were going to do at Loirston. Will be interesting to see what the club says tomorrow anyway.

I think it's not a bad site to be honest.

I couldn't see anyone walking to Lorriston unless you lived in Cove or Torry...or Kincorth at a push. It's a solid hour+ hike (uphill) from town.

Right by the bypass too. 

There's already about 8 buses an hour to Westhill and loads more to the Kingswells park and ride. Can increase this during pre and post match hours. Plenty parking at Prime 4 too (better parking already than Pittodrie has to offer.)

Bars etc. well if there's buses put on no reason why you can't have a few in town and get the bus, there's 4 bars in Westhill which isn't far (would be a similar walk from Union St to Pittodrie) 5 bars if you include the golf club but it's miles away.

Incidentally that circle is the exact same spot all the mud etc from the old beach end was sent. Poetic :lol:  

Edited by shootingboots

Article for the New Stadium: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36272698?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I hope Aberdeen get it built and it has some safe standing. 22,000 with standing would be decent.

Anything could be better than Pittodrie, worst away end in the top flight (outwith Celtic)

Why 'safe standing'? Why not just regular standing areas?

Nice wee tribute for Norman Goldie. Used to see him round the city centre a lot when I lived in Aberdeen and sometimes clocked him when I was walking back from work through Torry. He was well thought of in the city so it's good to see Aberdeen recognise him. Maybe they'll name part of the new stadium after him? Maybe not a stand but a hospitality box or something?

The location is pretty shit to get to. There'll be next to no facilities around for fans to go to and miles from the train or bus station for those who aren't travelling by car be they home or away supporters. Mind you it's not like there are an abundance of sites in the city and redeveloping Pittodrie isn't an option so I guess the club are quite limited in where they can go.

Nice wee tribute for Norman Goldie. Used to see him round the city centre a lot when I lived in Aberdeen and sometimes clocked him when I was walking back from work through Torry. He was well thought of in the city so it's good to see Aberdeen recognise him. Maybe they'll name part of the new stadium after him? Maybe not a stand but a hospitality box or something?

The location is pretty shit to get to. There'll be next to no facilities around for fans to go to and miles from the train or bus station for those who aren't travelling by car be they home or away supporters. Mind you it's not like there are an abundance of sites in the city and redeveloping Pittodrie isn't an option so I guess the club are quite limited in where they can go.

I think the only site in the City that was looked at was Kings Links, but they decided that the water table was too high or something.

PnJ says that the stadium will be 19,000 capacity, all seated.

Not over joyed by it tbh, although i never was going to be.

However i agree that we need to move forward and vastly improve our training facilities, so a site out with the city does seem like the only option. I think it will work great for families and such but it will change the culture of the club. I love being able to stroll into the city for a bit of lunch about 12 and then head to a few pubs on the walk down to the stadium. None of this is really going to be possible now, i would imagine there will be a few pubs/cafes and such pop up around the development but it wont be the same.

i think taking the club out the city removes the heart of it.

Safe standing has only just been allowed, with strict conditions in place.

I think it's a council or local authority decision (i.e. the issuing of a safety certificate). If they could somehow make the p***ks who make these decisions see common sense then they could have such areas. Would be worth a try.

I think it's a council or local authority decision (i.e. the issuing of a safety certificate). If they could somehow make the p***ks who make these decisions see common sense then they could have such areas. Would be worth a try.

Certainly not while Labour are about.

Do the SPFL not have a say when it comes to stadium specifications?

Certainly not while Labour are about.

Do the SPFL not have a say when it comes to stadium specifications?

The only rule the SPFL have re seating is something about having 500 seats that are in a covered area.