The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Guest ApathyAFC
3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

On Ronan, there's obviously a good chance he'd like to work with Goodwin than roll the dice on Hearts not being an absolute gang.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, yes hearts have Europa leauge or more likley conference leauge. But surely we can tempt him to come here.

15 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

dons.thumb.png.f7ce1a8cff6b2afbbd5a904f786dccd3.png

Touch weak defensively, and perhaps not hugely physical (low aggression/aerials often point that way) but looks a good attacking full back.

I've a question about how these work, but i'm not sure i can express it very well, so bear with me. 

My understanding is that the numbers are percentiles. Showing the players position on the distribution over the whole sample? So if there's 4,800 full backs in the sample, a 75% rating implies better stats than 3,600 but that there's 1,200 out there with better stats. If that's wrong then my question will be gibberish. 

My question is, are those stats weighted at all for the quality of the division?  So are we looking at how good this guy is in league 2 or overall? 

Not trying to be critical, just trying to understand. If it is how good he is in league 2 then that's still useful information and i guess his relative strengths wouldn't change much. 

Guest ApathyAFC
40 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don’t put anyone on an ignore list as I don’t really believe in blocking everything I don’t like. Plus your posts aren’t offensive really, I just find it scarcely believable that anyone could be this miserable about their team, even in Aberdeen.  

WTF was miserable about my post stating that hopefully we can get ronan? f**k me! If you're that precious then ok.

1 minute ago, ApathyAFC said:

WTF was miserable about my post stating that hopefully we can get ronan? f**k me! If you're that precious then ok.

I mean, that isn’t what you posted. In any case, I’ve already stated I didn’t take it seriously so I’m not precious about it at all. 

30 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I've a question about how these work, but i'm not sure i can express it very well, so bear with me. 

My understanding is that the numbers are percentiles. Showing the players position on the distribution over the whole sample? So if there's 4,800 full backs in the sample, a 75% rating implies better stats than 3,600 but that there's 1,200 out there with better stats. If that's wrong then my question will be gibberish. 

My question is, are those stats weighted at all for the quality of the division?  So are we looking at how good this guy is in league 2 or overall? 

Not trying to be critical, just trying to understand. If it is how good he is in league 2 then that's still useful information and i guess his relative strengths wouldn't change much. 

Yeah it's percentile ranks. The 4690 players or whatever it is continues duplicates though, as it covers four seasons. So someone who's played full back in all four season counts as four, if that makes sense?

Its just a comparison of everyone in the database, I used to do it across a division but the low amount of players led to some high ratings for average players. The bigger the database the better it seems to be getting, I think. The club average hatched bit is to try and put into context the level they're at. Can sometimes help show someone is scoring high simply because their team is dominant/defensive. Him scoring high,  and being higher than the club average, for possession suggests he's good on the ball.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah it's percentile ranks. The 4690 players or whatever it is continues duplicates though, as it covers four seasons. So someone who's played full back in all four season counts as four, if that makes sense?

Its just a comparison of everyone in the database, I used to do it across a division but the low amount of players led to some high ratings for average players. The bigger the database the better it seems to be getting, I think. The club average hatched bit is to try and put into context the level they're at. Can sometimes help show someone is scoring high simply because their team is dominant/defensive. Him scoring high,  and being higher than the club average, for possession suggests he's good on the ball.

Hadn't appreciated the multiple seasons and thought that was a huge number of full backs. 

The club bit is useful too- is that the full backs only at the same club or all players? 

So him having the 1000th best defensive anticipation stat doesn't mean he's the 1000th best "at" defensive anticipation overall because it's his stats at league 2 level vs other players' stats at a higher level. 

One last one- the names at the top right, are they the top of the rankings? 

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

Hadn't appreciated the multiple seasons and thought that was a huge number of full backs. 

The club bit is useful too- is that the full backs only at the same club or all players? 

So him having the 1000th best defensive anticipation stat doesn't mean he's the 1000th best "at" defensive anticipation overall because it's his stats at league 2 level vs other players' stats at a higher level. 

One last one- the names at the top right, are they the top of the rankings? 

The club comparison is just players who WyScout list as having played full back for the club. It can be a bit wonky as you get some clubs where CMs have played FB so have boosted the club average a way up in possession, for instance, but it's the best I can do just now, and I think having a club average figure there is needed.

The names at the top right are just the most similar to the players chart. Cam sometimes help explain how a player plays if it's a recognisable name.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The club comparison is just players who WyScout list as having played full back for the club. It can be a bit wonky as you get some clubs where CMs have played FB so have boosted the club average a way up in possession, for instance, but it's the best I can do just now, and I think having a club average figure there is needed.

The names at the top right are just the most similar to the players chart. Cam sometimes help explain how a player plays if it's a recognisable name.

Thanks. 

It's a good way of showing the data. 

I'll stop geeking out now. 

16 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

How many Dons parents do you know?! 🤣

Haha, I guess old friends that are the roughly the same age, the kids are all roughly the same age. Well Alfie's da is a bit older than me. Plus I was a well kent puss roond Aberdeen fir a whiley. Not for anything special mind you.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

New signings.

Tbf this is beginning to remind of the days I used to play football manager and we were shite so I’d always just get rid of the first team dross and play almost exclusively youth players. Worked out pretty well most of the time.