The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

28 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Discounting the matches against lower league opposition, we showed nothing at Celtic Park and beat a ten man St Mirren team.

Therefore, we have no evidence thus far that we just had an 'off day'.

There's an argument to say Goodwin got his team wrong with McCrorie in defence.

The jury is still out on the keeper.

Stewart is too slow and distribution only good enough for the simple ball. Teams are going to allow him time on the ball.

Richardson can't defend although does well enough going forward.

Scales is not a left back but our manager played him there today out of choice not necessity!

Clarkson looked like the inexperienced boy he is today.

Ramadani was awful, slow and ponderous. That step overs before falling over himself summed up his day.

Lots of effort from Duk but is there any quality there?

Morris didn't have any good show anything positive today.

McKenzie still doesn't look good enough.

There’s no real evidence that it’s not an off day either.

Games against lower league teams and 10 man st Mirren need put into context, not discounted. 

27 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

There’s no real evidence that it’s not an off day either.

Games against lower league teams and 10 man st Mirren need put into context, not discounted. 

No evidence apart from a couple of players down the core of our team in Roos, Stewart and Ramadani don't look up to the required Top 6 standard.

I said after the Peterhead game that Stewart looks slow and his distribution could get us into trouble. My view hasn't changed.

Ramadani came from a team relegated last term and you could see why MTK may have had problems in the middle of the park.

Roos will eventually lose his first team place.

If we continue the evidence theme, then the evidence suggests since he came in during February that this job is a step too high for Goodwin.

Performances on the park haven't been good enough, baffling decisions off the park, questionable tactics and now shuffling about his pack putting square pegs into round holes.

Obviously he will be judged over the season but I think we have plenty of signs there to suggest that yesterday's performance will be atypical rather than an oddity.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

2 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

No evidence apart from a couple of players down the core of our team in Roos, Stewart and Ramadani don't look up to the required Top 6 standard.

I said after the Peterhead game that Stewart looks slow and his distribution could get us into trouble. My view hasn't changed.

Ramadani came from a team relegated last term and you could see why MTK may have had problems in the middle of the park.

Roos will eventually lose his first team place.

If we continue the evidence theme, then the evidence suggests since he came in on February that this job is a step too high for Goodwin.

Performances on the park haven't been good enough, baffling decisions off the park, questionable tactics and now shuffling about his pack putting square pegs into round holes.

Obviously he will be judged over the season but I think we have plenty of signs there to suggest that yesterday's performance will be atypical rather than an oddity.

Except that’s not evidence, it’s opinion. Other than goodwins record to date which is there for all to see. 

My opinion on Roos is similar to you, I think Stewart is a good defender at this level with weaknesses. You seem to think weaknesses = evidence of being rubbish. If his distribution gets us into trouble (it might) then we may need to amend the way he plays. Albeit some of his distribution can actually be very good, he’s just capable of a howler.  

Ramadani was really poor yesterday but he’s generally been excellent so far (yes, opposition, context) so there’s no “evidence” that he’s not up to standard. 

You can question playing scales at left back but you can at least see the logic, Mackenzie isn’t fit and not many want to see Hayes play there. 

My bigger concern is hayes/Kennedy starting every week, that needs phased out once the new boys get up to speed and integrated. 

13 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Except that’s not evidence, it’s opinion. Other than goodwins record to date which is there for all to see. 

My opinion on Roos is similar to you, I think Stewart is a good defender at this level with weaknesses. You seem to think weaknesses = evidence of being rubbish. If his distribution gets us into trouble (it might) then we may need to amend the way he plays. Albeit some of his distribution can actually be very good, he’s just capable of a howler.  

Ramadani was really poor yesterday but he’s generally been excellent so far (yes, opposition, context) so there’s no “evidence” that he’s not up to standard. 

You can question playing scales at left back but you can at least see the logic, Mackenzie isn’t fit and not many want to see Hayes play there. 

My bigger concern is hayes/Kennedy starting every week, that needs phased out once the new boys get up to speed and integrated. 

It just feels like we're doomed to repeat last season with a little taste of positivity to start the season before the reality kicks in.

We were getting bossed by Van Veen last season amongst others, so we change the defence, and we're still being bossed by Van Veen. 

That's evidence that nothing has changed significantly from last season.

However, I accept that we have nothing else to do but hope that our new squad, assembled with recruitment mainly from the lower English leagues, will get up to pace with the Scottish League sooner rather than later.

But the worrying aspect is that we don't have any evidence that these players can step up to the plate at this level.

6 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

It just feels like we're doomed to repeat last season with a little taste of positivity to start the season before the reality kicks in.

We were getting bossed by Van Veen last season amongst others, so we change the defence, and we're still being bossed by Van Veen. 

That's evidence that nothing has changed significantly from last season.

However, I accept that we have nothing else to do but hope that our new squad, assembled with recruitment mainly from the lower English leagues, will get up to pace with the Scottish League sooner rather than later.

But the worrying aspect is that we don't have any evidence that these players can step up to the plate at this level.

You’re entitled to that world view but I see no reason for resignation that we’re in for a repeat of last season. 

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Discounting the matches against lower league opposition, we showed nothing at Celtic Park and beat a ten man St Mirren team.

Therefore, we have no evidence thus far that we just had an 'off day'.

There's an argument to say Goodwin got his team wrong with McCrorie in defence.

The jury is still out on the keeper.

Stewart is too slow and distribution only good enough for the simple ball. Teams are going to allow him time on the ball.

Richardson can't defend although does well enough going forward.

Scales is not a left back but our manager played him there today out of choice not necessity!

Clarkson looked like the inexperienced boy he is today.

Ramadani was awful, slow and ponderous. That step overs before falling over himself summed up his day.

Lots of effort from Duk but is there any quality there?

Morris didn't have any good show anything positive today.

McKenzie still doesn't look good enough.

I'm trying to look at it positive while you are looking at it very negative. The reason I'm positive is because the pace we played at especially against St Mirren, and most of the league cup games is that I haven't seen that type of football for a long time. Yesterday nearly every player had an off day, the amount of balls going for a throw in was horrendous and I also thought Motherwell was excellent. I was reading our record against Motherwell is won 1 in 10 games so a bogey team for us.

I don't think any of us can make judgements on the squad as we have taken in a 11 players which half of those are not match fit and they need time to gel together. I think the time to judge will be about 16 or 17 league games in which we are hopefully in the European places.

Edited by betting competition

8 minutes ago, betting competition said:

I'm trying to look at it positive while you are looking at it very negative. The reason I'm positive is because the pace we played at especially against St Mirren, and most of the league cup games is that I haven't seen that type of football for a long time. Yesterday nearly every player had an off day, the amount of balls going for a throw in was horrendous and I also thought Motherwell was excellent. I was reading our record against Motherwell is won 1 in 10 games so a bogey team for us.

I don't think any of us can make judgements on the squad as we have taken in a 11 players which half of those are not match fit and they need time to gel together. I think the time to judge will be about 16 or 17 league games in which we are hopefully in the European places.

I agree that it's early doors, and it's only guesswork at the moment about how this new squad of players will perform throughout the season but I feel the early signs are ominous than we haven't recruited well.

I don't expect much from this season. I think a successful season would see us qualifying again for Europe and maybe one good cup run to the semi-finals or beyond but that would be a bonus.

What looked initially as a favourable August of fixtures now looks problematic though. Annan should be brushed aside to continue League Cup progress but matches away to St Johnstone and at home to Livingston might well provide us insight on what type of season we should expect.

However, if we turn in a similar performance to yesterday against Sevco in September then we're going to take a real battering.

By the end of September, we might see Goodwin and his team under pressure from the fans.

Consequently, I think six points against St Johnstone and Livingston are important to provide hard evidence that this team is more than capable of performing well this season.

16 minutes ago, KingswellsRed said:

One of my frustrations is Goodwin freezing out the likes of Ramirez and Lewis in favour of seemingly inferior players. He seems to make his mind up on a player and that is it.

Bojan Miovski scored 4 in 4 games and according to Godwin still not fully fit.

Edited by betting competition

24 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Btw did anyone else get a bad feeling about 10 seconds in yesterday when ramadani tried a simple pass to scales and launched it about 5 yards behind him and out for a throw 🤣

My bad feeling was pre-match when Goodwin said on the radio that he was a ‘very lucky Manager’ for the budget he had been given by the board 

44 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Btw did anyone else get a bad feeling about 10 seconds in yesterday when ramadani tried a simple pass to scales and launched it about 5 yards behind him and out for a throw 🤣

No but the proceeding 5-10 minutes of passing it along the back with no penetration or help from midfield did. We were very slack and sluggish and extremely lucky to be going in at halftime level. I'm Including Miovski's miss in that assessment as well.

We're also going to lose A LOT of goals from set pieces this season with our relatively short defence. Best laugh of the day was Roos coming up for the corner last minute. The guy is feart of coming for the ball with his hands nevermind his heid. Him then casually jogging back almost expecting Motherwell to score on the break made me angry though. Richardson was also guilty of not busting a gut to get back and help defensively on multiple occasions.

Btw did anyone else get a bad feeling about 10 seconds in yesterday when ramadani tried a simple pass to scales and launched it about 5 yards behind him and out for a throw [emoji1787]

I had a bad feeling for a couple of reasons….

(i) It’s Motherwell
(ii) There’s been an air of optimism and what felt like over-confidence. That always make me feel wary.

This was possibly the first true 90 minute test of this squad and it was a miserable failure. We got away with a 2-3 scoreline in what was a complete caning if we’re being honest.

The last half hour was primary school stuff - lots of forwards thrown on to the pItch - raw pace in abundance, but what good is that against a robust deep-lying defence. Maybe the guile of Watkins might have been a better shout, but at that point, the minimal protection the defence had been receiving was non-existent.

Had concerns about the size in the core of our defence since the start - a lot of goals in this league come from basic set pieces, and we will clearly be seen as having a weakness there.

Stewart is decent enough as a play the way you’re facing centre half - but we’re asking him to do things out of his comfort zone - and the opponents have already sussed out that him having the ball is good for them.

Another centre-half and right-back required at the minimum - although maybe the fact that this is still a team of strangers doesn’t help matters either.

Roos has done fine, I think. He was one of our better players against Celtic, not much to do against St Mirren, and I wouldn't be placing much culpability on him for yesterday - couple of good saves to keep the score at 3-2 and wasn't really at fault for any of the goals. I thought at the game that there might have been question marks over him at the equaliser, but I have changed my mind after watching it back. 

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Aye. With his athleticism declining, you can see how limited Jonny is. He takes up so many poor spaces that his pace would have got him.out of before.

At least he gave 100% yesterday. There is no way Kennedy was injured. He was having a shocker and he knew it.

1 hour ago, starryfish said:

I’m wondering if we try McCrorie, Stewart and Scales as a back three, an extra defender might help stem the tide a bit.

And that can enable a 2nd striker.

Lewis or Roos 

McCrorie Stewart Scales

Richardson Ramadani Clarkson Coulson

Besuijen 

Ramirez   Miovski

2 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Lewis or Roos 

McCrorie Stewart Scales

Besuijen 

Ramirez   Miovski

I’d currently be playing Hayes ahead of Besuijen 

1 hour ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Lewis or Roos 

McCrorie Stewart Scales

Besuijen 

Ramirez   Miovski

Besuijen needs to be played wide or not at all. He is not a no 10.