The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

50 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Probably my main worry is him having to source players. 

You get plenty managers who get loads out of other folks signings but massively fail when it's them making the decisions.

That is the worry.

Especially as there is going to be a big overhaul given how many loan players we have this season.

50 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I wasn't alive to experience the 80s and didn't start following Aberdeen until 1999. 

Whenever I watch footage of older Aberdeen sides (the 80s/early 90s) I can't help but feel the players back then look significantly more technical than todays. 

and Scottish ( nothing malicious )

2 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

From what Goodwin said, he had the final say on every player.

I have in my head, on the basis of very little fact, that Goodwin was responsible for all signings from England and the recruitment team for all the good ones. Probably unfair. 

I’d imagine the process goes along the lines of:

1. The manager states he wants a certain type of player (e.g. attacking full back)

2. The recruitment team identify and present him with 3/4 players that fit the brief

3. The manager decides which of the options to approach or sign, if at all

Stewart was 100% a Goodwin signing that he’d probably identified or been in contact with previously while Richardson was apparently identified by the recruitment team (albeit as one for the future rather than this season).

You’d imagine all of the signings from abroad were identified by the recruitment team though.

I’m more reassured by the fact we have a recruitment team in place now and it wouldn’t just be Robson having to find everybody himself like Glass supposedly had to.

22 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I have in my head, on the basis of very little fact, that Goodwin was responsible for all signings from England and the recruitment team for all the good ones. Probably unfair. 

No idea if true but I like it so , I shall be spreading it as gospel from here on in.

I certainly wasn't in favour of Barry Robson being made permanent manager when he first took over the interim role, and posted that he would definitely not be made manager. Given the run he's got us on, he must be given the job before we come back for the post split matches. Seven wins in a row, including against the second and fourth placed teams, five points clear in third with five matches left, the first team in the Premiership to have five clean sheets in a row this season, eight matches since we lost a goal that wasn't a penalty. F*ck*ng hell, we must give him the job, now.

I’ve heard it’s very much in our interests that Nottingham Forest stay up this season.

We’re apparently due a decent six figure sum if they do as part of the McKenna deal. We’re also due to get a further fee if he hits 25 appearances in the EPL. He’s got 20 so far but unfortunately will miss the rest of the season through injury.

6 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I certainly wasn't in favour of Barry Robson being made permanent manager when he first took over the interim role, and posted that he would definitely not be made manager. Given the run he's got us on, he must be given the job before we come back for the post split matches. Seven wins in a row, including against the second and fourth placed teams, five points clear in third with five matches left, the first team in the Premiership to have five clean sheets in a row this season, eight matches since we lost a goal that wasn't a penalty. F*ck*ng hell, we must give him the job, now.

I'm still not convinced...