The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

From our perspective, as long as it's capped at Tier 5 in the current structure - don't see a huge problem. 

One of the problems as I see it, is that the four colts teams are stopping four genuine clubs from being further up the pyramid, and the potential progress that brings with it. Absolutely shite idea.

2 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Probably all a bit premature however....

Not sure how realistic or likely it is but I'd be delighted to see Pollock, Scales, and MacDonald made permanent signings. Jay Idzes of Go Ahead Eagles is another option. Out of contract this summer but we would have to pay a compensation fee due to his age.

Supposedly, Wigan want 150k for Shinnie. Is he worth that? No sell on value. I'd like him to stay but hopefully we can negotiate the price down.

Clarkson is going to be difficult to replace. Fantastic player. 

I hope we retain Duk and Miovski for next season. We may find some offers too good to turn down.

Will be interesting to see what happens to the likes of Richardson, Morris, Kennedy, Watkins etc.  Potentially a big turnover of players again this summer. Would like to see Vinny back in the team next season.

Lewis Ferguson is the speculation of an 8 million move to AC milan or Juve this summer - we have a sell on clause. McCrorie looks set to leave for 2 million (The Rangers will receive 25% of that fee). Barron has 1 year left on his contract, unlikely to sign (his agent is the same as Considine) and is wanted by Bologna, Sassuolo, Genk and Celtic so we may very well cash in.

I don't think our recruitment will be looking at any of the out of contract players from the SPL this year. I'd much rather we continued to recruit from abroad or promote from our youth ranks as it has been successful so far.

I was so negative when we announced Pollock & MacDonald, as it just seemed such a desperate move, but they’ve both been surprisingly excellent and have dramatically brought out the best in Scales and Mcrorie.   Priority signings for me. 

3 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

I was so negative when we announced Pollock & MacDonald, as it just seemed such a desperate move, but they’ve both been surprisingly excellent and have dramatically brought out the best in Scales and Mcrorie.   Priority signings for me. 

MacDonald is a possibility, but Mattie Pollock recently signed on for the next five years at Watford. We just might get him on another year's loan, bit that's as good as it could get. 

Lewis Cass will be your next defensive signing.

Pollock and Scales were loved by the RG doofer and so is Cass (i think, ive not looked at him this season).

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don’t know your thoughts on old firm colt teams. BUT, if you’re against that then it shows a lot of hypocrisy to then support this. 

My issue with this is why is it about 'old firm colt teams' or is it just the Daily Record style rhetoric to date on this? If we feel the model of the larger clubs having a second string in the league set up, which is common throughout UEFA nations, has validity in terms of improving the overall game, then it should be open to more than 2 (or 4) clubs.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

One of the most patronising, condescending, things ive ever seen on this site. 

Chuck in 'sanctimonious' and you've got the full house there.   The comment was based on experience of Aberdeenshire Cup tie with the Broch at Pittodrie - a relatively unknown young striker pairing called Jess and Booth destroyed them circa 88, but the Brochers in the stands were not holding back in their contempt for 'all things toonser' and were right up for the match.

I suppose there's an acid test there though now - how do the likes of Gala, Tranent or Berwick fans feel when Hearts B roll into town?

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

One of the problems as I see it, is that the four colts teams are stopping four genuine clubs from being further up the pyramid, and the potential progress that brings with it. Absolutely shite idea.

Agree - but they presumably can't be promoted above a certain level - and the next highest club below them (if it comes to that) should be.

1 hour ago, naegoodinthedark said:

“Colt teams” and the use of the term “Colt Teams” can get to f**k. 

Agree - feels like tabloid weegie terminology.

2 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

My issue with this is why is it about 'old firm colt teams' or is it just the Daily Record style rhetoric to date on this? If we feel the model of the larger clubs having a second string in the league set up, which is common throughout UEFA nations, has validity in terms of improving the overall game, then it should be open to more than 2 (or 4) clubs.

Chuck in 'sanctimonious' and you've got the full house there.   The comment was based on experience of Aberdeenshire Cup tie with the Broch at Pittodrie - a relatively unknown young striker pairing called Jess and Booth destroyed them circa 88, but the Brochers in the stands were not holding back in their contempt for 'all things toonser' and were right up for the match.

I suppose there's an acid test there though now - how do the likes of Gala, Tranent or Berwick fans feel when Hearts B roll into town?

Agree - but they presumably can't be promoted above a certain level - and the next highest club below them (if it comes to that) should be.

Agree - feels like tabloid weegie terminology.

I said old firm colt teams because that is the current existing colt teams in the pyramid. It’s always been open to everyone I think? It’s not been an invite only, they’re the only two teams that have actively pursued it, although I believe hearts have too. 

My point was merely that if you’re against it on that level then it would be hypocritical to support this. I have no idea what you think of it though. 

Personally? I think ‘big’ clubs using these leagues as a vehicle to develop their own youth while distorting the competition is horrific stuff and as @RandomGuy. says we should be ashamed of. 

I’ve been going back and forth with the club on my DNA membership anyway but I’ve told them today what way it’ll go if there’s truth to these newspaper reports. 

28 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I said old firm colt teams because that is the current existing colt teams in the pyramid. It’s always been open to everyone I think? It’s not been an invite only, they’re the only two teams that have actively pursued it, although I believe hearts have too. 

My point was merely that if you’re against it on that level then it would be hypocritical to support this. I have no idea what you think of it though. 

Personally? I think ‘big’ clubs using these leagues as a vehicle to develop their own youth while distorting the competition is horrific stuff and as @RandomGuy. says we should be ashamed of. 

I’ve been going back and forth with the club on my DNA membership anyway but I’ve told them today what way it’ll go if there’s truth to these newspaper reports. 

Germany is often regarded as a country we should look up to in terms of a 'footballing nation'.  These are all B sides in tiers 3 to 5 of their set up.  If it's good enough for them?   

CLUB SEASON TIER COMPETITION
Borussia Dortmund II 2022-23 3 3. Liga
SC Freiburg II 2022-23 3 3. Liga
FC St Pauli II 2022-23 4 Regionalliga Nord
Hamburger SV II 2022-23 4 Regionalliga Nord
Hannover 96 II 2022-23 4 Regionalliga Nord
Holstein Kiel II 2022-23 4 Regionalliga Nord
Werder Bremen II 2022-23 4 Regionalliga Nord
Hertha Berlin II 2022-23 4 Regionalliga Nordost
1. FC Cologne II 2022-23 4 Regionalliga West
Borussia Mönchengladbach II 2022-23 4 Regionalliga West
Fortuna Düsseldorf II 2022-23 4 Regionalliga West
Schalke 04 II 2022-23 4 Regionalliga West
FSV Mainz II 2022-23 4 Regionalliga Südwest
TSG Hoffenheim II 2022-23 4 Regionalliga Südwest
VfB Stuttgart II 2022-23 4 Regionalliga Südwest
1. FC Nürnberg II 2022-23 4 Regionalliga Bayern
Bayern Munich II 2022-23 4 Regionalliga Bayern
FC Augsburg II 2022-23 4 Regionalliga Bayern
Greuther Fürth II 2022-23 4 Regionalliga Bayern
Jahn Regensburg II 2022-23 5 Bayernliga Nord
1860 Munich II 2022-23 5 Bayernliga Süd
FC Ingolstadt II 2022-23 5 Bayernliga Süd
Werder Bremen III 2022-23 5 Bremen-Liga
Eintracht Frankfurt II 2022-23 5 Hessenliga
Steinbach Haiger II 2022-23 5 Hessenliga
Fortuna Cologne II 2022-23 5 Mittelrheinliga
Hansa Rostock II 2022-23 5 Oberliga Nordost (Nord)
Hamburger SV III 2022-23 5 Oberliga Hamburg
1. FC Kaiserslautern II 2022-23 5 Oberliga Rheinland-Pfalz/Saar (Süd)
SV Elversberg II 2022-23 5 Oberliga Rheinland-Pfalz/Saar (Süd)
VfB Lübeck II 2022-23 5 Oberliga Schleswig-Holstein
Weiche Flensburg II 2022-23 5 Oberliga Schleswig-Holstein
Preußen Münster II 2022-23 5 Oberliga Westfalen
SC Paderborn II 2022-23 5 Oberliga Westfalen

Edited by tarapoa

36 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

L

Youd be excited playing Barcelona in a friendly, even if it turned out to then be a reserve side.

I doubt youd accept half of La Liga buying their way into our top flight and condemning you to half a seasons worth of dead rubber games against kids earning more than your entire squad.

But i guess its alright since its "just the 5th tier" and nobody cares about that level anyway, right?

8 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

What a shambles.....just whn you think the club has turned the corner (on the park) they come out with shite like this. 

With selected "colts" teams participating in this league it just makes me wonder why not just have a propper reserve league which actually used to be incredibly beneficial bringing through youngsters and helping first teamers get match fit after injury.  It was also reasonably well supported.

The club pulled out of the reserve league due to the poor scheduling. A few young players didn't play for months as the games were scheduled too close to the first team games.

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Youd be excited playing Barcelona in a friendly, even if it turned out to then be a reserve side.

I decided after a game against a 'strong Man Utd' side  around 25 years ago, that I would never attend a friendly ever again - and have been true to my word  (other than a corporate invite to match vs Villarreal for Duckpond Dazza's testimonial).

These would be competitive matches though.

As stated elsewhere - if it's good enough for Germany, Spain, Portugal, Belgium etc - then why is it a 'disgrace' here?  Maybe because we have been conditioned to believe this is all about the vested interests of two clubs, rather than something that could equally benefit other clubs and the game as a whole if managed properly.

1 minute ago, tarapoa said:

I decided after a game against a 'strong Man Utd' side  around 25 years ago, that I would never attend a friendly ever again - and have been true to my word  (other than a corporate invite to match vs Villarreal for Duckpond Dazza's testimonial).

As stated elsewhere - if it's good enough for Germany, Spain, Portugal, Belgium etc - then why is it a 'disgrace' here?  Maybe because we have been conditioned to believe this is all about the vested interests of two clubs, rather than something that could equally benefit other clubs and the game as a whole if managed properly.

What will they learn from playing against teams at such a low level?

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

If there are four colt teams in a league, then it has stopped four genuine clubs being in that league. 

5 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Ok then:

what do you think the clubs interest is in doing this?

how will this benefit the whole game? 

16 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

For who?

As it stands the "colt" sides can neither be promoted or relegated, so youll have half a division who literally have nothing to play for.

Much like the Lowland League just now, the other sides will prioritise the other fixtures and play rotated sides when possible against the colt sides, as the results in those games effectively mean nothing.

All this to apparently massively improve 18/19 year olds instead of either loaning them out or letting them find a club to play them at a higher level.

Its purely about letting the OF hoard players and its relegating an entire pyramids worth of clubs down a tier to support it.

56 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

The club pulled out of the reserve league due to the poor scheduling. A few young players didn't play for months as the games were scheduled too close to the first team games.

Well would the simple solution not be to schedule the reserve games a bit better rather than this nonsense of a league where some teams are playing for something and others are simply waiting for a chance of playing for their first team or waiting to be released so that they can then join a team in the Highland or Lowland leagues.

33 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Well would the simple solution not be to schedule the reserve games a bit better rather than this nonsense of a league where some teams are playing for something and others are simply waiting for a chance of playing for their first team or waiting to be released so that they can then join a team in the Highland or Lowland leagues.

Absolutely.

It's the SPFL though, remember.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aberdeen-become-third-club-quit-16508960

13 hours ago, tarapoa said:

maybe a Huntly fan would enjoy their lot getting a crack at the dandies colt team.

Really? In the remote chance of Huntly getting invited into this joke league, they'd be playing nearly all their games against 3 Colt teams in the Central Belt or south of it, along with 4 Lowland teams, 4 times a season each, along with maybe another ex Highland League team and the Aberdeen u21s. Glory be! I'd be amazed if Aberdeen want anything to do with this, why would any talented young player want anything to do with that? 

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

That’s a terrible metaphor. 

Surely the fox would have been hungry before going into the hen house? And now that it's in there it would have eaten the hens and would be full? Maybe it would have preferred the eggs actually. Nutritious and less likely to fight back. I don't like foxes. Sneaky wee fuckers.