The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

Just now, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

It seems to be the case now that a manager cannot criticise the players because they are all delicate little flowers and he can't hurt their feelings because that is unfair. 

His main strength is supposed to be man management.

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Have you listened to his interviews? Negativity, negativity, negativity. Not accepting any of the blame, apart from, as I said, the first 25 minutes against Motherwell. He’s said more than once that Shinnie is the only leader we have. The dressing room must be in revolt. I normally like to defend managers and give them a chance, and I was in favour of Warnock’s appointment, but he is leading us into oblivion. 

I have listened to some of them, but I don't read anything into them and I doubt the players pay attention to them. We had two managers in Glass and Goodwin who came across well in interviews but failed to deliver when it mattered. It is a sideshow, all told. 

I don't get the impression, at least from today's performance, that this is a team that has downed tools or anything like that. It is a flawed team, a struggling team, but I would venture that any chat of 'revolt' is misplaced for now. And, frankly, this group of players simply does not have the credit in the bank to be throwing their toys out of the pram over relatively innocuous (and frankly accurate) comments from their manager, even if they wanted to. 

Edited by DrewDon

3 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

It seems to be the case now that a manager cannot criticise the players because they are all delicate little flowers and he can't hurt their feelings because that is unfair. 

It's not about being delicate little flowers though - how motivated would you be to work for your boss if he walked about the office loudly telling everyone how shit you were at your job?

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Have you listened to his interviews? Negativity, negativity, negativity.

Agree with this. He's talking things down when he's meant to be the figure lifting those around him.

As for sacking him, I'd imagine that would depend on the dressing room. If the feeling is the players would rather have stability, then I can see why they'd stick with him. For a good number of those players a new guy would be their fourth head coach in less than two seasons. It's not a great position to be hiring from, from an owner with a poor record in hiring.

I'm not saying this is a good situation, but I can see why they'd fear just making it worse by changing.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 hour ago, Scooby_Doo said:

It's not about being delicate little flowers though - how motivated would you be to work for your boss if he walked about the office loudly telling everyone how shit you were at your job?

He talked Miovski up as the best striker he's managed, then only criticised him for losing his man at a corner.

He said that some players lacked a bit of aggression, emphasising that they just weren't that sort of player. If anything that's taking the heat off them, because it's not as if they are shite or not trying, it's a point about the squad deficiencies.

Shinnie he had a pop at, but then he played his best game for a while midweek (and thought he was ok today)

Understand that a lot of us are used to mundane managerial interviews where nothing of value is said, but none of this should be/is destroying motivation or confidence. We're just shite.

5 hours ago, Joe Terrapin said:

I've gone full circle on Warnock since his appointment. I initially thought he would be good for the Scottish game and would call out the blatant corruption towards the top two but he's been an unmitigated disaster. I quickly came to dislike him with his pithy comments and general lack of self awareness however that interview tonight is of a broken man. Aberdeen have fucked him. Give up Neil while you still have your health. If you need to do a Roy Hodgson to save face if you have to but go back to your grandkids and enjoy what's left of your life.

"pithy".....oooooooooooooh

Big Dave's statement is a lot of fun.

This "We beat Eintracht" stuff is good. A dead rubber at home against a team who had Leverkusen away three days later isn't quite 1983, Dave. And the "reached a League Cup final", well, aye, after mugging a shite Hibs team, having swatted aside Stirling Albion and Ross County (by a single goal each)...

"Baffling" league form, Dave! Baffling like why the council didn't buy Aberdeen FC being worth a billion quid to the local economy. 🤣

He's some boy.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Dave’s statement is a big nothing. He really had nothing to gain from it. 

Angry Aberdeen fans will be angry and the fans of others who have an inclination to pick the bones over all things Aberdeen will laugh. 

He just needs to suck up the noise right now and get on with doing the necessary behind the scenes. 

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Dave’s statement is a big nothing. He really had nothing to gain from it. 

Angry Aberdeen fans will be angry and the fans of others who have an inclination to pick the bones over all things Aberdeen will laugh. 

He just needs to suck up the noise right now and get on with doing the necessary behind the scenes. 

Phew, back to normality thankfully. 
Spot on, statements don’t win games.

I was listening back to Sportsound,

I'll not lie I was "audibly rubber-necking", hoping to hear the Willie Miller's car crash comments after his beloved team lost late on. Yeah, I know, it's cheap to feed off his misery. However, I'll hand it to him, he was surprisingly even handed in his comments so I decided to listen into the extra section of the show, which had Miller and Aberdeen fans talking.

Who, the f**k, was that lunatic that wanted a square go with Miller? They don't post on here, right? Of the two, the lassie seemed pretty fair, but the older lad, my God.. every question was answered with "You hired McGhee you cannot have an opinion". It's like, right, I get that buddy, but that's years ago. You could tell both Miller and the show staff were fed up with his pointless digs. I'm genuinely surprised he wasn't huckled off the line and replaced with someone how was going to add to the piece rather than shout at Miller all the time.

An awfa lot of bluster being spouted these days, but is this not what sport should be about? Highs and lows?

2 similar sized clubs to ourselves have ended up relegated, did Hibs not take about 3 years to return? And let’s never forget the **** failing to win the championship. 🤣

The fact that the 2 arse cheeks have such an outrageously big advantage that guarantees them the top 2 spots for eternity has everyone else thinking they have divine rights to certain positions on the league table. 
Get on with it and stop greeting like an entitled bigot. Get behind the team when they really need it more than ever.Survive the scare then learn and rebuild. 

12 minutes ago, 1GregStewart said:

Phew, back to normality thankfully. 
Spot on, statements don’t win games.

Can I just be clear that the 6 out of 10 comment was a joke. I thought it was obvious but maybe not. 

On the topic of manager comments, I generally agree that they’re pretty irrelevant but disagree that they should be disregarded. 

They had this debate on the here we go podcast and the guy Richard hay (who I think is really good) was arguing black and white that it should be totally disregarded but I think there’s exceptions. 

In particular post match interviews, you can get nuggets from managers when emotions are at their highest. And if you have seen a manager over a long period then you can see trends in what they say. Robson was frustrating but I tended to ignore most of his comments as he seemed like a guy who didn’t appreciate a camera in his face and just blurted stuff out in the hope he’d get away quietly. 

Warnock however likes to make it about him so I think, rightly or wrongly, what he says gets more scrutiny. I do think what he’s been saying is poor and you find yourself desperately hoping the internal message is much more useful to the team. I can already see him in 6 months time doing after dinner speeches down south where he slates this team and Scottish football whilst taking no responsibility. 

Warnock is getting too much stick. Blamed for everything. Aberdeen will not get relegated. If Warnock has thought it would be easy in Scotland it will be because Dave Cormack/Baffles has told him about he'll have the best players in Scotland (outside the OF) to work with.