The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 hours ago, Flammable sheep said:

There's more to defensive play than being at wing back though. Pressing with the rest of the front line, tracking runs, helping out his full back – these are all things a winger should do. I don't see him pressing effectively or helping Sokler out – maybe it's by instruction, but he always seems to be halfway towards the opposition full back but never close enough when Sokler starts to press. I think there was a big difference on Sunday when he went off and McGrath moved to the right, we gained more control on the right side.

Morris is fine against bottom half and lower league teams and he looks to have improved since his debut, and I would love to see him progress more. Other players just have more natural talent and football brains, which I don't see him developing 

Spot on, he’s a man down at times whether people think that’s harsh or not it’s true. 

3 hours ago, Flammable sheep said:

There's more to defensive play than being at wing back though. Pressing with the rest of the front line, tracking runs, helping out his full back – these are all things a winger should do. I don't see him pressing effectively or helping Sokler out – maybe it's by instruction, but he always seems to be halfway towards the opposition full back but never close enough when Sokler starts to press. I think there was a big difference on Sunday when he went off and McGrath moved to the right, we gained more control on the right side.

Morris is fine against bottom half and lower league teams and he looks to have improved since his debut, and I would love to see him progress more. Other players just have more natural talent and football brains, which I don't see him developing 

It is perfectly possible that he's not very good at that stuff because he's never been asked to do it before. I'm willing to wait and see whether Thelin can get a tune out of him, rather than a hasty judgement of a 22 year old that was played out of position for half of his twenty-something appearances.

It's not like Niall McGinn did much tracking back, and I'm sure most would agree he's the best right winger we've had in a long time.

15 hours ago, coprolite said:

Greenied for the positivity. 

Sokler is no Miovski but he's at least as good as Sam Cosgrove who scored a load and made us money. 

I think people would be less critical of all three if we hadn't spunked seven figures on them. 

I kind of think Morris will never get good at crossing or picking a pass but am more hopeful for Pape. I've been wrong before though. Way more than I've been right. 

Cosgrove scored 21 and 23 in consecutive seasons for us, the second of which was curtailed due to Covid. A lot of penalties in there and I’ve not included his first and last half seasons with us but that’s the same as Miovski scored for us over two seasons in fewer games.

We did well to get a good fee for Cosgrove but he seems to be treated like a joke figure by our supporters instead of someone who turned into a really good striker for us. If Sokler gets anywhere near those totals I’d be amazed.

4 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Cosgrove scored 21 and 23 in consecutive seasons for us, the second of which was curtailed due to Covid. A lot of penalties in there and I’ve not included his first and last half seasons with us but that’s the same as Miovski scored for us over two seasons in fewer games.

We did well to get a good fee for Cosgrove but he seems to be treated like a joke figure by our supporters instead of someone who turned into a really good striker for us. If Sokler gets anywhere near those totals I’d be amazed.

Not by me, i liked him from the moment he came on and assaulted Scott Brown. 

Guess we'll see with Sokler, maybe he'll start pinging them in for fun once he gets a bit of confidence. At one point it looked like Cosgrove would never score too. 

9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Not by me, i liked him from the moment he came on and assaulted Scott Brown. 

Guess we'll see with Sokler, maybe he'll start pinging them in for fun once he gets a bit of confidence. At one point it looked like Cosgrove would never score too. 

Was a few months into the season before he'd scored.

We'd already sounded out potential loan moves in the January then he had that wild scoring run.

Sorry but cosgrove was not very good. 

Not as bad as was made out in his early run of form, nowhere near as good as was made out during his scoring run, probably a little bit better than how he’s remembered now. 

But no, I don’t miss Samuel cosgrove. 

1 hour ago, Illgresi said:

It is perfectly possible that he's not very good at that stuff because he's never been asked to do it before. I'm willing to wait and see whether Thelin can get a tune out of him, rather than a hasty judgement of a 22 year old that was played out of position for half of his twenty-something appearances.

It's not like Niall McGinn did much tracking back, and I'm sure most would agree he's the best right winger we've had in a long time.

The most encouraging part of these early Thelin days is his willingness to utilise his squad rather focusing on a smaller subset.

This might be because he hasn't had time to get to know the squad or develop his 'favourites'; however, it so refreshing after what Robson served up.

On the one hand, Robson continually referred to the amount of games we had to play last year but he steadfastly refused to look at shuffling his pack.

Nowadays, fans constantly go on about a manager 'clearing out the deadwood' and, Largs managers in particular, appear to encourage this my using only players 'they trust'.

It's a manger's responsibility to use all the resources available to him for the benefit of the team. He needs to discover how to get them best from his squad, for example,  some players perform better with another specific player alongside them, or only in a specific position but to banish a player completely from the pitch should be a last resort (Duk).

The squad should be all primed and all be given time on the pitch to keep them hungry knowing that there will be opportunities to impress.

Put the onus back on the players that you need to be ready to grab your chance when it arrives.

That's why I don't want to write off any of the players in the squad.

Edited by Bogbrush1903

Cosgrove was not a very good footballer, but he developed into a much more accurate and confident finisher than Sokler currently is. If Sokler can develop a bit and can pass about eight goals in the league this season then that will be a good return for him from where he currently stands. 

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

Any word on any improved compo offers from the Govan Jaikies yet? Or are we going to court? 

On the grounds they don’t have a pot to piss in, it’ll be a tribunal. 

No doubt the tribunal will consist of Alex Rae, Derek Ferguson & Tom Miller.

£15,000 payable over 25 years. 

Edited by Thenorthernlight

10 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

On the grounds they don’t have a lot to piss in, it’ll be a tribunal. 

No doubt the tribunal will consist of Alex Rae, Derek Ferguson & Tom Miller.

£15,000 payable over 25 years. 

Who's that like?

23 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Not entirely sure how a tribunal works and if they can being into account his start for 'rangers' but they seem to be raving about him. Might get a few more quid

Whether he’s MOTM in every game, or doesn’t play, is irrelevant.

Length of service, the value of the contract, his age, are some of the factors taken in to account. 

3 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Length of service, the value of the contract, his age, are some of the factors taken in to account. 

If they try and claim his status is below a first team starter, while hes a first team starter, it probably works against them tbf.

11 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

International career, ie Scotland u21 captain must be a factor?

1 hour ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Not entirely sure how a tribunal works and if they can being into account his start for 'rangers' but they seem to be raving about him. Might get a few more quid

Although there is never a good time to do so, I think he will regret going to them now. I don’t think he will cope well with the abuse that is going to come as their team regresses due to their financial constriction this year. Even with the local refs assistance they are going to struggle and their fans will soon turn on him.