The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

10 hours ago, anotherchance said:

the dates for the European games are well known in advance, so would it not have been appropriate for the league to schedule St Mirren/Hearts/Killie/Rangers to play each other this weekend, given there was potential for all 4 to be involved in a play off of some description, which makes a postponement easier, and reduces the impact on everybody else?

On the contrary... they have to ensure clubs don't meet on weekends between European dates: because if A is playing Thursday the midweek before and B is playing Tuesday the midweek after (which could be non-OF due to city clashes/etc.) the game would always have to be cancelled.

They also must play cup SFs on weekends after domestic midweeks; and Finals on Sundays before. (Got their fingers burnt a few years ago, when a pair of Thursday ties in EL meant both League Cup SFs had to be on Sunday... briefly both at Hampden, before outcry switched 1 to Murrayfield; few years before almost a disaster when Final was a Sunday before potential CL tie on Tuesday. If it wasn't for UEFA not using Tuesday 17th December this season's Final would've had to be only 3 days before Christmas on Sunday 22nd, not 15th, to avoid the risk of somebody having to play 2 huge games in 48hrs).

EDIT: they probably don't want to encourage it anyway... if either OF reach Euro SF + League Cup Final there are just 3 free midweeks (+ 1 for Conference) all season for postponements/etc., and 1 of those is after split.

Edited by HibeeJibee

I see that our Women's team manager has walked after two games. I take it that he didn't realise how bad we were after two hammerings, and couldn't take it. I may be wrong of course, and if I am I apologise. 

18 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I see that our Women's team manager has walked after two games. I take it that he didn't realise how bad we were after two hammerings, and couldn't take it. I may be wrong of course, and if I am I apologise. 

It's a young, part time team that have gone through a lot of changes in the past couple of years, playing against some full time teams. From what I've read, he didn't do his homework and his management style was to scream at them. Not what is needed! 

Genuinely pleased to read that we are looking to bring in a first-choice centre-forward, especially around the calibre of Nisbet, and also a centre-back. Suggests to me that Thelin isn't deluding himself about the squad and is being properly backed.

Genuinely not even funny how quickly he's getting scoops again that Considine is back with you.

I know a Millwall ST holder who detests Nisbet and thinks he’s dreadful. He’s done pretty poorly down here and can’t say I was ever that impressed with him at Hibs.

I’d prefer to keep Sokler as the main striker in all honesty.

26 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Genuinely pleased to read that we are looking to bring in a first-choice centre-forward, especially around the calibre of Nisbet, and also a centre-back. Suggests to me that Thelin isn't deluding himself about the squad and is being properly backed.

Pleased? 
Nisbet is poor.

Injury prone, overweight & has an appalling attitude.

I hope Hibs get him 

And this won’t be a Jimmy Thelin idea either. 
I doubt he’ll have heard of him  

Edited by Thenorthernlight

15 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

I know a Millwall ST holder who detests Nisbet and thinks he’s dreadful. He’s done pretty poorly down here and can’t say I was ever that impressed with him at Hibs.

I’d prefer to keep Sokler as the main striker in all honesty.

We do need a new centre forward.

We do not need it to be Kevin Nisbet. 

19 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Pleased? 
Nisbet is poor.

Injury prone, overweight & has an appalling attitude.

I hope Hibs get him 

And this won’t be a Jimmy Thelin idea either. 
I doubt he’ll have heard of him  

I think we can assume that Thelin will be pushing for a new first-choice striker if we are in the market for one. Even if he doesn't have the same control over recruitment as McInnes did, for example, he will still be actively involved and identifying the areas where he thinks we need more. 

I always liked Nisbet at Hibs. Really good finisher and scoring record with clever movement. I know absolutely nothing about his weight and attitude so can't comment on that (and neither does basically anybody else on this forum, I would imagine), but if he can get close to what he produced previously in this league then he would be a significant step up on what we currently have. 

Edited by DrewDon

Regular disagreements in my family regarding Sokler. Wife and kids are bigger fans than me for sure! I think if we have him as our first choice it’s a glaring weak point but not sure about Nisbet with his injury track record 

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

25 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I think we can assume that Thelin will be pushing for a new first-choice striker if we are in the market for one. Even if he doesn't have the same control over recruitment as McInnes did, for example, he will still be actively involved and identifying the areas where he thinks we need more. 

I always liked Nisbet at Hibs. Really good finisher and scoring record with clever movement. I know absolutely nothing about his weight and attitude so can't comment on that (and neither does basically anybody else on this forum, I would imagine), but if he can get close to what he produced previously in this league then he would be a significant step up on what we currently have. 

A basic google search will tell you about his attitude & weight 

1 minute ago, Thenorthernlight said:

A basic google search will tell you about his attitude & weight 

It's almost midnight and I'm currently watching Early Doors on iPlayer whilst arguing about the possibility of Aberdeen signing Kevin Nisbet on a Scottish football forum - I think if I started trawling Google for information on his weight then I might finally be pushed into a frankly overdue but still unwelcome existential crisis. 

Nisbet on loan certainly doesn’t excite. Would suggest that there’s nothing currently available that we’re willing to spend the miovski windfall on which is fair enough. But I’d like to think we could do better. 

Not keen on Nisbet either tbh. There must be better options out there. I like Sokler and think he's better than folk give him credit for but we're definitely light in that department and need another striker. 

I'd rather wait for the right one to become available than gamble on a supposedly overweight and unfit one that hasn't played much football.

I can't say I've followed Nisbet too much since he left Hibs but things can not work out a club for a variety of reasons. We already have one unfit striker with a bad attitude not playing though.

With Duncan I have my concerns about that move. As others have stated he doesn't have a real position to call his own and Davidson prefers to play 3-5-2. I don't think he's good enough to play wing back at Championship level and he hasn't really shown anything to suggest he'll be better further forward than what they have already.

I do think his confidence has pretty much all gone going by what I've witnessed recently. Perhaps a lone further down would have been better to help that but I don't know. He may, and I hope he does, prove me wrong on all accounts but I suspect he'll end up like Michael Ruth and dropping down to that level before building himself up again 

Yeah, not convinced about Nisbet - doesn't really fall in with our signing policy nowadays (read some chat that Jimmy doesn't like loans) and would rather we at least tried to follow the Miovski model.

Surely the scouting team should have a fairly lengthly list of replacements for Bojan given how long his departure has been in the offing?