The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yeah I think my issue, and it’s possibly unfair, is that questions seem to have been asked about his attitude throughout his career.

When he was doing well at Dunfermline remember it being said that he wasn’t really doing it at partick as a younger player, then when he wanted out of hibs, and now when it’s not going his way at Millwall. It’s hard to escape that reputation. 

I get the McGrath comparisons but not sure his attitude has been questioned in the same way? Apart from maybe by Stephen glass 

The main issue for me, was highlighted further up the thread. I don't think he'll do the off the ball work Thelin wants. Another reason why he didn't get too many chances for Scotland.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

In all seriousness, Joey and I being facetious but not exactly inaccurate. 

His main attribute is endeavour and running power, there isn’t a huge amount of quality there. He wasn’t a ‘bad’ player for us, but didn’t really solve any of the problems we had in January. 

I don’t think anyone gave much thought to getting him back.

In all seriousness I don't think Jesus with a couple of spare miracles could have sorted your problems in January you were rotten 

10 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

The main issue for me, was highlighted further up the thread. I don't think he'll do the off the ball work Thelin wants. Another reason why he didn't get too many chances for Scotland.

Agree. 

He’s a good finisher, that’s well known.

But the negatives are: 

- Terrible injury record. 
- Proven disciplinary & attitude problems. 
- Apparently lazy & won’t “lead the press” that Jimmy Thelin demands. 

I’m hoping optimistically that JT has a striker he wants, but can’t get, until the Scandinavian leagues finish in December, to join us in January.

16 minutes ago, Portmahomack Saint said:

In all seriousness I don't think Jesus with a couple of spare miracles could have sorted your problems in January you were rotten 

True

Unfortunately Phillips was even worse than the rest of the midfield we already had.

Was just pissing about on Twitter and saw a post saying 650 local kids had free tickets for our game the other Sunday. 

That's absolutely class, tbh. Every team should be filling space with free tickets for schools etc. 👏

22 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

He doesn't do much off-the-ball work and doesn't lead the line. The guy who sits next to me at ER used to get exasperated watching him and his lack of effort. The problem I have with him is that he didn't look after himself enough, looked as if he couldn't be bothered, and seemed to give off an attitude that Scottish football was below him.

When he knew Hibs were letting him move at the end of the season, he absolutely put the effort in and there is a definite player in there.  However, I didn't think Millwall was the club for him. I knew their fans would eat him alive if he resorted to lazy b*****d performances and it looks like that is what happened.

21 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Was just pissing about on Twitter and saw a post saying 650 local kids had free tickets for our game the other Sunday. 

That's absolutely class, tbh. Every team should be filling space with free tickets for schools etc. 👏

The Junior DNA membership is an excellent idea. It's free to join for anyone under 12, and members receive two free tickets for any game, which, unsurprisingly, many took advantage of for the St Mirren match. There are also several events held throughout the year – I believe a few weeks ago, one of them was the chance to watch the players train and meet the team.

Edited by betting competition

48 minutes ago, betting competition said:

The Junior DNA membership is an excellent idea. It's free to join for anyone under 12, and members receive two free tickets for any game, which, unsurprisingly, many took advantage of for the St Mirren match. There are also several events held throughout the year – I believe a few weeks ago, one of them was the chance to watch the players train and meet the team.

Indeed. We are box office* after all. 

* Terms and conditions apply. Does not apply to matches in Norway, Aberdeen, or, erm, Dundee. Oh, nor in ugly sister matches either. For full terms and conditions, please visit www.stmirren.com and read the section ‘fcuk sake thought we were box office’.

Getting Nisbet in on loan seems fairly low risk and potentially high reward especially if we can get an option to buy. Worse case scenario we lose some on wages for a bit of depth on the bench. Best case we pick him up on a Lawrence Shankland arc where he transitions from talented but lazy to a dependable but somewhat over-rated goal scorer. A good place holder whilst we search for the next Miovski.

9 minutes ago, Donte Polvara said:

Getting Nisbet in on loan seems fairly low risk and potentially high reward especially if we can get an option to buy. Worse case scenario we lose some on wages for a bit of depth on the bench. Best case we pick him up on a Lawrence Shankland arc where he transitions from talented but lazy to a dependable but somewhat over-rated goal scorer. A good place holder whilst we search for the next Miovski.

He was every bit as good as Shankland for most of the time up until he left Hibs imo.

33 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

He was every bit as good as Shankland for most of the time up until he left Hibs imo.

Shankland scored at a higher rate (even without penalties) and has a significantly higher goal tally in two seasons at Hearts than Nisbet had in three at Hibs partly because he is actually available to play most weeks. He's also simply a better all-round player imo.

Still, I don't know what state he's in these days and can't comment on his attitude but but he was a good player when he left Hibs and on paper he'd be a significant improvement on your current options.

3 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Agree. 

He’s a good finisher, that’s well known.

But the negatives are: 

- Terrible injury record. 
- Proven disciplinary & attitude problems. 
- Apparently lazy & won’t “lead the press” that Jimmy Thelin demands. 

I’m hoping optimistically that JT has a striker he wants, but can’t get, until the Scandinavian leagues finish in December, to join us in January.

Is it possible we are looking for some sort of swap deal with Duk? Unsettled, possibly less than match fit players, who are both looking for a change of scene to try and kick start their careers? Might see us recoup some value out of the mess. Also the 50% of sale is not an issue. Negotiate a sell on percentage incase he does sort himself out and it will work for us.

17 minutes ago, Don exotic said:

Is it possible we are looking for some sort of swap deal with Duk? Unsettled, possibly less than match fit players, who are both looking for a change of scene to try and kick start their careers? Might see us recoup some value out of the mess. Also the 50% of sale is not an issue. Negotiate a sell on percentage incase he does sort himself out and it will work for us.

I forgot about Duk. Imagine the size of him just now.

Before the St Mirren game, they were asking the kids to guess scoreline and scorer. One of my girls asked if Duk was playing. The community trust wifey was pretty dismissive of him 🤣

Trade Nisbet for Duk? Even if it was just as a mutual loan arrangement, it could work out for all 4 parties.

Millwall & Aberdeen get disruptive players out the door, if he can rediscover his goal touch Nisbet gets to put himself back in Steve Clarkes thoughts, and Duk will get to sample the takeaway food outlets of South Bermondsey.

Winner, winner, (Kentucky Fried) chicken dinner.

36 minutes ago, Don exotic said:

Duk will need to slim down from a XXXXXXL first.

I hope we offer Duk to Millwall and film their reaction. 

“honestly lads, he’s class.

Whats that? No, we don’t know where he and he won’t return our calls. no, hasn’t trained since may. No, doesn’t look after himself brilliantly over the summer. No, hasn’t played well for about 12 months”

Derek Adams has just signed Rhys Williams for Morecombe on a season long loan from Liverpool. Williams says he's excited, that he wants Adams to be able to trust him, and he wants to impress the fans. Good luck with all of that.

27 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Wrong thread maybe but still scarred from the rumours.

Hopefully now the notion of Neil Lennon as a serious football manager has been put to bed for good.

The guys on Sportsound will still be batting for him. Raith Rovers are looking for a new manager, why would they not want his experience?