The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

I did wonder if he could have maybe done better at the disallowed goal, but it's probably on the harsh side. That aside, I thought he and Rubezic were both very solid again. 

Thelin seems to know how to make effective use of his bench, too. Maybe on the brave side to take Sokler off at half-time, but he was utterly ineffective again and we weren't getting value after McGrath went off from having him, Gueye and Nisbet all on the pitch. Morris for Keskinen probably raised a few eyebrows at the time, but the latter looked like he had emptied the tank and Morris' running just gave us that extra dimension, culminating in setting up the goal. 

Playing shit and winning is a pretty important skill to being comfortably top 6/pushing for Europe. Don't think we've had a complete 90 minutes yet either. 

Undoubtedly we will get a bloody nose from somebody, but we've put down a pretty solid base so hopefully it won't really hurt us.

Nisbet still looked a little bit rusty, but it's a really well placed finish. 

I don't want it to seem like I have it in for the guy, but Sokler just fails the eye test - totally ineffective again today and you just know if Nisbet's chance falls to him instead then it's more likely to end up going over the stand than in the net. Just shows how imperative it was that we went out and recruited someone to at least try and partially fill the Miovski void. 

7 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Now, now.

I never said I was underwhelmed with Nisbet.

I did. A word I chose specifically to not convey too much negativity, followed up by explicit stating that it wasn’t overt negativity, just a lack of excitement compared with say the topi announcement. Also said I was totally open minded to being wrong. 

So I think that was aimed at me and maybe one or two others. Feels like a slightly strange attack tbh. 

Edited by Dons_1988

3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I thought that Keskinen had an excellent game yesterday, and was a bit bemused when he was subbed by Morris. What do I know, that won us the game 

Yeah he was very good. Encouraging stuff. 

Sokler was a diddy yesterday. On his heels when Keskinen puts in a great ball across the face of goal shows he doesn't have that instinct to get in the areas to score. Currently not justifying his place in the team as "putting yourself about" will only get you so far

43 minutes ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Sokler was a diddy yesterday. On his heels when Keskinen puts in a great ball across the face of goal shows he doesn't have that instinct to get in the areas to score. Currently not justifying his place in the team as "putting yourself about" will only get you so far

Sokler is nowhere near good enough.

Has the touch of Edward Scissorhands & couldn’t finish his dinner.

Been anonymous in the majority of games 

11 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Sokler is nowhere near good enough.

Has the touch of Edward Scissorhands & couldn’t finish his dinner.

Been anonymous in the majority of games 

I think he can be a handy squad player. He was a useful foil for Miovski when they were paired together. Probably because Miovski's intelligence balanced Sokler's industry. To be relied on for 15-20 goals a season though? Not for me. I imagine he'll be rotated with Gueye depending on what the situation requires and as long as Nisbet stays fit 

1 hour ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

I think he can be a handy squad player. He was a useful foil for Miovski when they were paired together. Probably because Miovski's intelligence balanced Sokler's industry. To be relied on for 15-20 goals a season though? Not for me. I imagine he'll be rotated with Gueye depending on what the situation requires and as long as Nisbet stays fit 

This is more realistic take on Sokler. Much like the semi v the green cheek, coming on as a 2nd striker and trying to get in the gaps between and behind defenders to cause confusion is his role in this squad in my opinion. 
Ideally not starting or playing as a lone 9 as he isn’t good enough. 

1 hour ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

The key question is will Nisbet stay fit?

History says no.

Fingers crossed as he’ll score with Keskinen, Clarkson & McGrath playing as a 3 behind and alongside him. 

I probably rate sokler higher than many on here but it's hard to make a case for him as the way forward for us. I think he could still be a better option than Nisbet to start against the cheeks where we're more likely to be playing on the break and working hard might be more important than being in goalscoring positions.  But he's not a goalscorer. 

On 29/08/2024 at 12:57, DukDukGoose said:

I think a really good start to the season is hiding a few of the glaring issues.

I did hear that we're struggling to get targets to move to Scotland so aligns with a lot of the thoughts on here in the previous months.

Should follow the Inverness model and move training and operations to the continent.  Hear there is an abundance of players there.

8 hours ago, Zapp Brannigan said:

Sokler going to be one of those frustrating players I feel. Once he gets a goal he’ll go on a run but will dip again and go on a slum again. 

Sokler is just not that good a footballer and were he to be starting every game it would be an obvious weakness. Let’s see if Nisbet is the answer, he certainly has scored a lot of goals in this league and hopefully has better surroundings than he’s had before so has the potential to do well