The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

17 minutes ago, Karl Fletcher said:
It was £2 million for both Armstrong and GMS combined.

I doubt this deal will happen in any case.

Cheers. I couldn't remember if it was clarified who cost what. I thought it was generally accepted that Mackay-Steven's was a (relatively) nominal fee as he only had 6 months of his deal to go or something.

Given the way it appeared in the press I'd be quite surprised if it happened as well. It sounds like someone's just taken a guess/made it up as he might be the sort of player McInnes could be interested in.

Edited by capt_oats

24 minutes ago, jim999 said:

The lad has ability but I'm not sure he's hardy enough. Always struck me as a bit timid.

The match that always springs to mind is the Tannadice new year fixture in McInnes' first full season.  Sackie Sacknamara's United had been destroying teams 4 or 5 in the run up to this game.

In the second minute Flood just wiped out Mackay-Steven in full flow with a cynical challenge, that probably only avoided red due to it being so early.

GMS completely disappeared for the rest of the match, which ended in an away win.

Never really been impressed, and he looked a total fish out of water at Parkheid whenever he got a game. 

Keep wondering if we're ever going to be linked with any decent defenders amongst all the gossip........other than Kari "come and get me", which instantly means that won't happen.

This is the easiest way of explaining the rules from the STV website (28/02/2017)....

How many loan players are a club allowed in a season?

There are quite a few restrictions on how many loan players, what type of loan and who they can be loaned from.

A club cannot have more than four players on loan at any one time (excluding development loans)

Clubs cannot have more than one player over the age of 21 on loan at the same time

In any one season, there cannot be more than two players over the age of 21 on loan

Clubs can only loan one player at a time from a single club in the same division

Clubs cannot loan more than two players at a time from a club in another division

There is a maximum of three players from any one club allowed on loan, including development loans

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I really don't rate GMS at all. He had a reasonably decent time at Utd but was always in Armstrong's shadow. I was surprised that Celtic were duped into buying him based on a few decent games. Happy to be proved wrong.

At Dundee Utd I never really noticed Armstrong although I remember watching GMS and Johnny Russell when on their day rip sides apart especially when I watched them against some Russian side. I always thought at the time Armstrong was a strange signing for Celtic at the time but have been proved wrong with that as he has come on and one of Scotland important players.

GMS like many Scottish players playing for Celtic just isn't good enough for them but I do think he will be good enough for us and do a job like McGinn did. The big stumbling block is wages and if Celtic are willing to pay him a sum of money to compensate him.

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yeah he has a habit of going missing in the big games from memory.

As a Celtic fan I can agree to this assessment.  He has a lot of pace and enthusiasm but his end product is actually pretty poor.  In most of the games he played last season he developed a habit of losing the ball, making a poor pass, or missing the target in the opposition box, just really poor end product after a good build-up.  The problem will be his wages as I'm sure Celtic and Aberdeen would be will be willing to agree to a fee Aberdeen could afford but I suspect that he (like a few players Celtic have signed in recent years) is on a wage that us much higher than his actual ability and is probably the most he will ever earn in football.  

It was £2 million for both Armstrong and GMS combined.
I doubt this deal will happen in any case. 

I know Wikipedia and news reports show this as the fees but in reality Utd received £4.9m for Gauld, Robertson, Armstrong and GMS combined.

Gauld was reportedly £3m alone so id be surprised if GMS was much more than £100k given his contract was about to run out.

I think you could easily afford a fee for him, just depends on wages as others have said.

In that case, we should be paying nowhere near that

I imagine the stumbling block here is Celtic deciding whether to cut their losses and pay him off

At Dundee Utd I never really noticed Armstrong although I remember watching GMS and Johnny Russell when on their day rip sides apart especially when I watched them against some Russian side. I always thought at the time Armstrong was a strange signing for Celtic at the time but have been proved wrong with that as he has come on and one of Scotland important players.

GMS like many Scottish players playing for Celtic just isn't good enough for them but I do think he will be good enough for us and do a job like McGinn did. The big stumbling block is wages and if Celtic are willing to pay him a sum of money to compensate him.

Armstrong was absolute class for Dundee United. Not sure how you never noticed him, he was a standout whenever I saw him. It was more of a surprise that he struggled so much for Celtic at first

I didn't really expect much from GMS on the other hand, except that Forrest was still playing for them at the time and it seemed like he'd at least be able to displace him in the side

1 minute ago, MarkoRaj said:

Aberdeen have been lacking this transfer window btw, not what I was expecting at all, given the statements around the time of McIness staying

It certainly does seem like it's all been a bit scatter gun.

If we'd got (and they were fit) May and Maloney by now we'd be looking a bit more clever to be fair. 

5 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Aberdeen have been lacking this transfer window btw, not what I was expecting at all, given the statements around the time of McIness staying

It looks like we've been both hesitant and unlucky. We could have got Stevie May earlier, but we were unlucky that Grayson moved on and Neil came in. We were unlucky that Maloney was injured, but he's always been injury prone, so perhaps we should have expected it. 

With the moves for Moult, and now apparently GMS, it looks like we're onto our third, fourth, fifth options. I'm not sure if we'll get good value for money, but if they come in and do well then I guess any fees will be forgotten. 

15 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Agree - their transfer policy looks like a bit of a farce from the outside looking in. Obviously ended up with some good players so far and I don't doubt a few more good players to come all the same.