The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

8 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

As for Jack Ross - if McCann left, we'd obviously go after him again. Aberdeen is a bit of a jump though as he's not proven anything yet. Surely you'd be more looking at someone like Strachan? Or dare I say it, McLeish?

You reckon Ross to Aberdeen is a bit of a jump as he's not proven anything yet (despite his impressive record at Alloa & St Mirren) but you can see Rangers going for McCann who has coached less than 2 dozen games?

I think I see a slight flaw in your logic, ole bean.

I drove past Pittodrie twice today - there's no media about.

As for Jack Ross - if McCann left, we'd obviously go after him again. Aberdeen is a bit of a jump though as he's not proven anything yet. Surely you'd be more looking at someone like Strachan? Or dare I say it, McLeish?

Archibald is Taylor made for Dons.

Jack Ross is a decent manager but, especially with the likes of Killie and County bringing in Clarke and Coyle, we should be thinking bigger. McInnes has elevated the stature of our club from a bottom six side to the second best team in the country, challenging for cups and getting into Europe every year. We've also got a chairman who gives managers a lot of control over the club (mostly because he's too incompetent to do it himself) and we may even have a training ground in a year or two. Not that I trust them to make the right call, if/when McInnes does go.

14 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Jack Ross is a decent manager but, especially with the likes of Killie and County bringing in Clarke and Coyle, we should be thinking bigger. McInnes has elevated the stature of our club from a bottom six side to the second best team in the country, challenging for cups and getting into Europe every year. We've also got a chairman who gives managers a lot of control over the club (mostly because he's too incompetent to do it himself) and we may even have a training ground in a year or two. Not that I trust them to make the right call, if/when McInnes does go.

Why not? They hired McIness. 

I don't get the  hate for Milne at all. When you see what's gone on at Rangers, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Dundee, Hibs, Hearts. He may not be perfect, but he's been at least as big a part of the recent revival as DM. 

25 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Third best.

23 minutes ago, Kneetrembler said:

I don't get the  hate for Milne at all. When you see what's gone on at Rangers, Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Dundee, Hibs, Hearts. He may not be perfect, but he's been at least as big a part of the recent revival as DM. 

I look at the Chairman job to run the club well financially and appoint the right people for the appropriate job - he has got that right with profit in the last 3 seasons and good manager

The only criticism I have of Milne is the lack of training facilities as it is a disgrace the size of our club don't have any yet. 

Edited by betting competition

2 minutes ago, Kneetrembler said:

Not entering administration doesn't make him a good chairman. Just because other clubs have been mismanaged more than our own doesn't mean Milne has been a success. In fact, our debt increased dramatically under Milne and was only cleared because of a kind act by the Donalds. We're posting good financial results now partly because of the lack of debt repayments which were around 500k per year I believe.

Milne has spent 17 years attempting to deliver a new stadium and training ground and has utterly failed. The deliberate neglect of our current ground is evident to see and our first team players get a minibus out to hired facilities every day. The best player we've produced in 20 years left aged 18 because of this. He also wants to move Aberdeen FC to a field several miles outside of Aberdeen.

He's out of touch with the support. He bottled it when we could've got rid of the 11-1 voting system. He would've bottled the newco situation had the fans not held back on season ticket purchases. He'd be quite happy to sit behind the Glasgow two until the end of time and take the apparent money associated with that, despite us bringing in record turnover year on year in the absence of a strong team at Ibrox.

He appointed McInnes but he also appointed Skovdahl, Paterson and McGhee. McInnes has been the one good appointment with the rest ranging from decent to diabolical. Across the SPL era (1998-2013), which coincides with Milne's reign as chairman pre-McInnes, we were outperformed by both Motherwell and Kilmarnock. McInnes transforming our fortunes on the pitch has made people think we're a well run club when in reality we're doing well despite Milne.

If McInnes does go, then if they aren't going to follow the Coyle/Clarke examples and stretch for an ambitious appointment or fall back to a McLeish/Strachan style dinosaur with an Aberdeen connection then it comes to down Archibald, Wright and Ross. Ross is obviously the least successful of those so far but you could see why they'd go for him. When Dundee were interested in the summer and a few St. Mirren fans said they could see him going if it was a club like Aberdeen but not a bottom six side I laughed at it, as the third biggest and second best team in the country obviously weren't going to appoint a manager on the strength of keeping a team up in the second tier regardless of how miraculous the turnaround and escape from relegation was. Now it's only a few months on but a title-challenging start to the season establishes him as the obvious pick of Championship managers for a step-up.

While Wright and Archibald have obviously achieved more and proved themselves at a level Ross has never managed at, Ross' relative lack of experience could count in his favour. Wright has had a couple of embarrassing European defeats, where Aberdeen would be looking for any new manager to build on McInnes' work and progress further in Europe, and St. Johnstone's current form could count against him. Regardless of how well he's done in the past, he'll be a victim of his own success of consistently making the top six if they fall out of it and he's seen as taking them backwards. Archibald has actually won the league that Ross is sitting second in and took Partick into the top six, but there are question marks over them having yet another slow start to a season and sliding back to battling relegation.

The fact that Ross hasn't been tested at the same level and therefore hasn't had the opportunity to have any of his own flaws exposed against the standard of opposition Wright and Archibald have at times struggled with could turn out to be a positive. He can sell himself as the exciting young manager who's been permanently on an upward trajectory so far, playing exciting attacking football while bringing youngsters through.

7 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

Not entering administration doesn't make him a good chairman. Just because other clubs have been mismanaged more than our own doesn't mean Milne has been a success. In fact, our debt increased dramatically under Milne and was only cleared because of a kind act by the Donalds. We're posting good financial results now partly because of the lack of debt repayments which were around 500k per year I believe.

Milne has spent 17 years attempting to deliver a new stadium and training ground and has utterly failed. The deliberate neglect of our current ground is evident to see and our first team players get a minibus out to hired facilities every day. The best player we've produced in 20 years left aged 18 because of this. He also wants to move Aberdeen FC to a field several miles outside of Aberdeen.

He's out of touch with the support. He bottled it when we could've got rid of the 11-1 voting system. He would've bottled the newco situation had the fans not held back on season ticket purchases. He'd be quite happy to sit behind the Glasgow two until the end of time and take the apparent money associated with that, despite us bringing in record turnover year on year in the absence of a strong team at Ibrox.

He appointed McInnes but he also appointed Skovdahl, Paterson and McGhee. McInnes has been the one good appointment with the rest ranging from decent to diabolical. Across the SPL era (1998-2013), which coincides with Milne's reign as chairman pre-McInnes, we were outperformed by both Motherwell and Kilmarnock. McInnes transforming our fortunes on the pitch has made people think we're a well run club when in reality we're doing well despite Milne.

The number of clubs entering into administration and liquidation suggests, to me anyway, that running a football club isn't the easiest thing in the world to do.  The Donald family among others made generous financial contributions to the club whilst under Milne's stewardship.  He has been on the board since 1994, probably the most turbulent period in Scottish football history. If he ran up the debt, then he also cleared it. To blame him for one and not give credit for the other is unfair. 

He's been chairman a long time. 17 years, your post suggests that the club being on a sound financial footing after all that time being despite the person making all the decisions and not because of him is also unfair. 

The training ground stadium saga has been a shambles, the 11-1 vote was a missed opportunity, he is by no means perfect. However, I would prefer his stewardship over a magnesium glare like Hearts and Dundee had.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

In fact, our debt increased dramatically under Milne and was only cleared because of a kind act by the Donalds. We're posting good financial results now partly because of the lack of debt repayments which were around 500k per year I believe.

One of Donalds clients is Stewart Milne homes, is it possible the family did that kind act for business reasons?

Edited by betting competition

1 hour ago, Kneetrembler said:

The number of clubs entering into administration and liquidation suggests, to me anyway, that running a football club isn't the easiest thing in the world to do.  The Donald family among others made generous financial contributions to the club whilst under Milne's stewardship.  He has been on the board since 1994, probably the most turbulent period in Scottish football history. If he ran up the debt, then he also cleared it. To blame him for one and not give credit for the other is unfair. 

He's been chairman a long time. 17 years, your post suggests that the club being on a sound financial footing after all that time being despite the person making all the decisions and not because of him is also unfair. 

The training ground stadium saga has been a shambles, the 11-1 vote was a missed opportunity, he is by no means perfect. However, I would prefer his stewardship over a magnesium glare like Hearts and Dundee had.

So the fact that he got us in a financial mess should be overlooked because other clubs were even more incompetent and things are fine now?

26 minutes ago, betting competition said:

One of Donalds clients is Stewart Milne homes, is it possible the family did that kind act for business reasons?

Running up £15 million of debt and getting your business pals to pay it off as a favour is generally not good practice.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

Correct. Milne has wanted to get his hands on Pittodrie ever since he became chairman.

And the move to a field seven miles west is only because it was available for peanuts as planning permission had already been refused for two other developments.

Running up £15 million of debt and getting your business pals to pay it off as a favour is generally not good practice.

You are completely overlooking the fact that he got the club out of the same debt.

He struck a genius deal with the banks that wrote off a heap of the debt.

Getting wealthy people to put money into the club with no strings attached whether its your mates or not is extremely good practice.

Milne made mistakes along with other clubs overspending in the 90's to try to complete with rangers. It was a collective madness. However, he stuck around to rectify his mistakes and turned it around. He also built the dick Donald stand, which I believe he was never paid for. Although I don't know that for sure.

It's completely appropriate to compare where the club was when he took the helm and where it is now. It's in much better shape and the buck stops with him.

5 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Correct. Milne has wanted to get his hands on Pittodrie ever since he became chairman.

Sorry, but this one always makes me chuckle.

You think a bloke worth 400 million, with housing estates all over Scotland and beyond, has really only undergone all the personal hassle and abuse that being chairman of AFC entails, purely so he can stick up a few flats in an otherwise drab part of town,  20 plus years later.

Sorry, but this one always makes me chuckle.
You think a bloke worth 400 million, with housing estates all over Scotland and beyond, has really only undergone all the personal hassle and abuse that being chairman of AFC entails, purely so he can stick up a few flats in an otherwise drab part of town,  20 plus years later.

Slam dunk.

Milne must have a mega ego to put up with the shite and pressure of running Aberdeen. But there can be no dispute that he is a pure Dandy with the club at his heart.

I look at the Chairman job to run the club well financially and appoint the right people for the appropriate job - he has got that right with profit in the last 3 seasons and good manager
The only criticism I have of Milne is the lack of training facilities as it is a disgrace the size of our club don't have any yet. 

Seaton park and the beach have been good enough for years.

We're like rocky towing tyres while the Ivan Drago baddies have all the hi tech but no heart.