The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

21 hours ago, big al said:

Not really.

If you play those 3 then Cosgrove is isolated, which was a big problem for many parts of the season. 
Very un-McIness like but with Hernandez and Hayes, 3-5-2 may become an option which would allow those 3 to play. 

I don't think my heart could cope with a McInnes team playing 3-5-2 on a regular basis. 

Scott Wright turns 23 this year. Pretty sure if he was going to have progressed significantly enough, he would have down it by now. Would be pretty happy going into the season with Kennedy, Hedges, McLennan as the main options for wide areas. (Assuming Hayes would be regularly playing at left back).

Can imagine most other clubs will be running with fairly light squads compared to usual, and the squad is already unbalanced. Would be a time to make some sacrifice of the abundance of attacking players in the squad compared to the defence and central midfield. If Main wasn't injured, would have liked Anderson to go out on loan, as he needs game time and who knows what reserve team football is going to look like next season.

Guest Bob Mahelp
58 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Scored a hat-trick against Partick a few years ago, but given Considine also did the same against Motherwell, the Juries out on that one. 

Wright is injury prone.....if any player is going to go down in the first few minutes of a game with a knock, it's him....and inconsistent to an amazing degree. If we played Partick every week then yes, make him a first team regular, but in 6 years he's really shown nothing that suggests he's good enough to play for Aberdeen. 

3 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Wright is injury prone.....if any player is going to go down in the first few minutes of a game with a knock, it's him....and inconsistent to an amazing degree. If we played Partick every week then yes, make him a first team regular, but in 6 years he's really shown nothing that suggests he's good enough to play for Aberdeen. 

Yes, you will him to do well as he's a product of the youth system, but unfortunately he appears to be consigned to the same fate as Cammy Smith. 

On 16/06/2020 at 12:43, RandomGuy. said:

Worth mentioning St Johnstone dont have a manager and our chairman was in the news this very morning saying we wont be signing anybody, and will just use our youth system, until the COVID situation is cleared up.

Callum Davidson has expressed an interest in McLennan as a cheap loan replacement for Wright. Theres nothing more in it at the moment. He provided a list of targets when interviewed. 

5 hours ago, Golden Gordon said:

Yep, got it mixed up with 7-2 against Motherwell.

I'm only quoting this because I like to see that score.

Did I ever mention that my second ever match ended Aberdeen 6 Motherwell 2?

7 hours ago, Golden Gordon said:

Hayes would be good if it pans out. Always broke my heart to see him in a Celtic shirt. Never resented him to the extent of Fredo Jack, as we got a fee and he didn't run down his contract.

Hayes signed a new contract the  January before he left to ensure we received a fee. He's actually signed a contract. The club will announce it soon hopefully alongside Cerny.

Expect McLennan and Wright to leave on loan and Hedges potentially for a small fee.

Aberdeen are not after MK Dons midfielder Conor McGrandles. We've watched him over the past 2 seasons. Nothing more in it. 

Greg Leigh (and a english loanee) is the only other player we'll sign IF McKenna is sold.

29 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'm only quoting this because I like to see that score.

Did I ever mention that my second ever match ended Aberdeen 6 Motherwell 2?

Lucky for some! My first ever match was a turgid 1-1 game against Dundee United in the pissing rain. Surprised I stayed with it after that!

35 minutes ago, Vancouver_Don said:

Hayes signed a new contract the  January before he left to ensure we received a fee. He's actually signed a contract. The club will announce it soon hopefully alongside Cerny.

Expect McLennan and Wright to leave on loan and Hedges potentially for a small fee.

Aberdeen are not after MK Dons midfielder Conor McGrandles. We've watched him over the past 2 seasons. Nothing more in it. 

Greg Leigh (and a english loanee) is the only other player we'll sign IF McKenna is sold.

I don't think that we can afford to let both Wright and McLennan to go out on loan.

6 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Lucky for some! My first ever match was a turgid 1-1 game against Dundee United in the pissing rain. Surprised I stayed with it after that!

My first game was 3-0 against Falkirk. Then the Motherwell match. It kinda went downhill after that...

15 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I don't think that we can afford to let both Wright and McLennan to go out on loan.

Between Wright, McLennan and Hedges it is probably right that two of them move on if we can find clubs interested.

We'll already have Hayes, McGinn and Kennedy as very senior players competing for two positions (yes all three will pick up occasional games in other positions) and Ethan Ross is more than fine for 5th choice.

17 minutes ago, d31 said:

Between Wright, McLennan and Hedges it is probably right that two of them move on if we can find clubs interested.

We'll already have Hayes, McGinn and Kennedy as very senior players competing for two positions (yes all three will pick up occasional games in other positions) and Ethan Ross is more than fine for 5th choice.

I'd agree with you if we hadn't had the horrendous injury problems that we've had over the past two seasons.

I'd be disappointed if McLennan went out on loan. I felt like he was hitting form before the shutdown and he is one of those players with the tendency to pop up with really important moments in games. If he could pick up from where he left off, I'd like to see him used a regular next season. If he is loaned out, he would be a smart pick up for pretty much any team outside the Old Firm. 

7 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I'd be disappointed if McLennan went out on loan. I felt like he was hitting form before the shutdown and he is one of those players with the tendency to pop up with really important moments in games. If he could pick up from where he left off, I'd like to see him used a regular next season. If he is loaned out, he would be a smart pick up for pretty much any team outside the Old Firm. 

Not to mention he was our most productive winger in 18/19 and his dip in form last season is 95% McInnes' fault.

I wonder if McLennan would be more suited to playing through the middle as centre forward?

I see our European adventure is starting on 27 August, one off matches in each round with luck of the draw dictating where ties are played. We are set to be seeded for rounds 1 and 2. Some countries may not even have restarted playing football by then so hopefully the fact we should have played several league matches will see us a good bit fitter than we normally are when we enter Europe.

Guest Bob Mahelp
36 minutes ago, starryfish said:

I see our European adventure is starting on 27 August, one off matches in each round with luck of the draw dictating where ties are played. We are set to be seeded for rounds 1 and 2. Some countries may not even have restarted playing football by then so hopefully the fact we should have played several league matches will see us a good bit fitter than we normally are when we enter Europe.

It's probably our best (only) chance of reaching the group stages.... 😀

14 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I'd agree with you if we hadn't had the horrendous injury problems that we've had over the past two seasons.

Can see arguments for both sides. On the one hand you want to have cover for all eventualities, as recent seasons have proved. But the consequence of that is that you have too many players of the same type being squeezed into the team and unbalancing it. See McInnes' attempts to fit Ojo, McGeough, Ferguson & Bryson into the same line-up, for example.