The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

If you're in to stats/analysis, I'm fairly sure Virtanen topped the majority, if not all, of the midfield rankings apart from goals/assists.

I'm terms of winning the ball/completing passes, he was one of the best CMs in the Championship last season.

Virtanen. I'd love to see him get a chance as the 4th or 5th pick for centre mid but with the forementioned list the writing is on the wall for him. 

Assuming we are not selling Ferguson then I think it could well be that Bryson also leaves.

Edited by d31

3 hours ago, d31 said:

Bryson, McGeouch, Ojo, Ferguson, Campbell and Virtanen.

I'd say we have 2 too many there.

27 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you're in to stats/analysis, I'm fairly sure Virtanen topped the majority, if not all, of the midfield rankings apart from goals/assists.

I'm terms of winning the ball/completing passes, he was one of the best CMs in the Championship last season.

yeah I'd like to see Campbell and virtanen out on loan, I have high hopes for them but sitting on the bench and getting a few minutes here and there is no good. Hopefully loan deals for them, there'll surely be offers. ideally, top half championship sides. 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He was given a 2 year extension last summer, I'm fairly certain he'll feature in the first team over the coming season. Perhaps on loan for the first half, coming back for the second half after we get our annual 40 injuries.

People thinking Bryson might leave is wishful thinking although we don’t really need him with Ojo Mcgeouch Ferguson and if we kept Virtanen. The reason we should be fine with those 4 is that only two should play at a time. Ojo Ferguson and Mcgeouch all in the same team doesn’t work and we need to realise that. I’d love to give the young guy a go and see what he can do when he gets the chance. 

people seem to think McKenna will go, what’s the Cosgrove chat?

1 hour ago, ScottishZizou said:

People thinking Bryson might leave is wishful thinking although we don’t really need him with Ojo Mcgeouch Ferguson and if we kept Virtanen. The reason we should be fine with those 4 is that only two should play at a time. Ojo Ferguson and Mcgeouch all in the same team doesn’t work and we need to realise that. I’d love to give the young guy a go and see what he can do when he gets the chance. 

people seem to think McKenna will go, what’s the Cosgrove chat?

My wishful thinking for Bryson isn't that he leaves. It's that he turns out to be the Rolls- Royce player for us that McInnes built him up as. And with our track record with injuries it's extreme wishful thinking that we'd have all of these midfielders available at any given time. Nothing wrong with proper competition for places.

Maybe, but in my lifetime, with countless managers, I really can’t remember us playing well with a back three. I know that that doesn’t really make sense but that’s how I remember things. 
Before my time given I was born in 1992 but didn't Willie Miller's team play some relatively good stuff with 3 at the back? My auld man seems to think so although he did go on the piss a lot more in the 90s

Just now, BucksburnDandy said:
5 hours ago, kingjoey said:
Maybe, but in my lifetime, with countless managers, I really can’t remember us playing well with a back three. I know that that doesn’t really make sense but that’s how I remember things. 

Before my time given I was born in 1992 but didn't Willie Miller's team play some relatively good stuff with 3 at the back? My auld man seems to think so although he did go on the piss a lot more in the 90s

That may have happened, although I don’t remember us playing with a back three. Always think of us as having two full backs and two central defenders. My mind might be playing tricks  of course.

That may have happened, although I don’t remember us playing with a back three. Always think of us as having two full backs and two central defenders. My mind might be playing tricks  of course.
Tbf who cares. Let's just revel in the God that is Willie Miller. The only man to captain a Scottish club to two European trophies.

1 minute ago, BucksburnDandy said:
3 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Tbf who cares. Let's just revel in the God that is Willie Miller. The only man to captain a Scottish club to two European trophies.

Absolutely. And I saw him lift both trophies. Not bragging or anything.

1 hour ago, A96 said:

My wishful thinking for Bryson isn't that he leaves. It's that he turns out to be the Rolls- Royce player for us that McInnes built him up as. And with our track record with injuries it's extreme wishful thinking that we'd have all of these midfielders available at any given time. Nothing wrong with proper competition for places.

Think of the wages ploughed into that though? Madness really

In my boredom I found myself watching some random 2013/14 English Championship highlights on Sky.
Bryson had scored 16 goals from midfield that year.
Constantly making runs from deep and playing lay offs with the people in front off him...not seen anything like that from him in the few appearances he's made but it still got me excited thinking about the player he could be...doubtful mind

Isn’t there a story that God was hooked at HT for complaining to Sir Alex about playing a back 3 at Firhill ?

3 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:
8 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I seem to remember us playing 352 under God. Had a look on afc heritage and see we started a few with irvine/ mcleish /smith.  Also either wright or mckimmie but i can't see either of them in a three. 

Looking at Miller's squads i suspect he played 3 at the back because he had no proper left back. 

In terms of 3 at the back, it's never worked in my time watching us but it's always been something we've randomly tried in the middle of the season and invariably we've looked toally inept at it.

Presumably because we haven't spent any proper time on the training ground with it and just chucked it together in the preceding week. 

9 hours ago, ScottishZizou said:

Think of the wages ploughed into that though? Madness really

Allegedly he is on an ok basic wage but the appearance fees are what takes up the majority of his wage. This is why he was ok with being rushed back.

Source: Twitter

20 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

I'd hope for something like:

Hernandez - Taylor - Considine - Hayes

Ferguson - McGeouch - Ojo

McGinn - Cosgrove - Kennedy

McGeough dropping deep when in possession and Hayes and Hernandez pushing wider and further up. Basically morphing into a 3-4-3. Defensively, would rather Ojo was further up the field and look to press earlier than when he sat deeper last year and left Ferguson as the only pressing midfielder. Have basically written off Bryson at this point.

Would we not need a goalkeeper?

16 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Surely you're old enough to remember when we had a back two?