The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

28 minutes ago, KTID26 said:

None so blind as those who cannot see.

Killie not being able to buy a win against us at Rugby Park for so long has obviously fried your head :(

I really enjoyed my trip for the cup replay this year if that’s any consolation x 

Although I'd favour Ojo and Ferguson with Kennedy in front I can't see McInnes not having McGeouch as a first pick if he gets 100% fit in pre-season.

He was almost the best player in Scotland before he headed to England. 

“Bringing Jonny back to the Club is fantastic. In light of the current financial circumstances as a result of the pandemic, this has only been possible due to Jonny being out of contract and his real desire to re-join Aberdeen.

“Jonny’s determination and willingness to return here is illustrated by his generous gesture to make it happen. He has never hidden his love for Aberdeen, and indeed I know his family enjoyed living in the North East, so it is no surprise to me that he was prepared to make a financial sacrifice in order to return."

That's enough for me. Welcome home.

6 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'd like to rescind all 'dooking for apples in a deep fat-fryer' comments. You bonnie b*****d.

My wife just gave a reluctant 'oh yeah, the guy with the big nose and red face' to the news.

DIvorce.

10 hours ago, coprolite said:

I seem to remember us playing 352 under God. Had a look on afc heritage and see we started a few with irvine/ mcleish /smith.  Also either wright or mckimmie but i can't see either of them in a three. 

Looking at Miller's squads i suspect he played 3 at the back because he had no proper left back. 

Please don't taunt me with defences of Christmas past!  Would be happy for McInnes to play any any defensive line-up he bloody well chose if we had a back line of that calibre. 

On 20/06/2020 at 12:33, Vancouver_Don said:

He also reduced his terms drastically in order to sign for Aberdeen. He has agreed to the 20% pay cut

Fair play. He did indeed take a significant pay cut in order to sign. And despite the 20% payouts he still signed like you said.

I wonder if we'll see McKenna or Hedges leave this week like you had suggested.

16 hours ago, ScottishZizou said:

People thinking Bryson might leave is wishful thinking although we don’t really need him with Ojo Mcgeouch Ferguson and if we kept Virtanen. The reason we should be fine with those 4 is that only two should play at a time. Ojo Ferguson and Mcgeouch all in the same team doesn’t work and we need to realise that. I’d love to give the young guy a go and see what he can do when he gets the chance. 

people seem to think McKenna will go, what’s the Cosgrove chat?

14 hours ago, A96 said:

My wishful thinking for Bryson isn't that he leaves. It's that he turns out to be the Rolls- Royce player for us that McInnes built him up as. And with our track record with injuries it's extreme wishful thinking that we'd have all of these midfielders available at any given time. Nothing wrong with proper competition for places.

Totally agree that all four of those players don't all work in the same team.  Have similar feelings about Bryson like I did for Wilson, blind hope that he will work out.  Would like to see a midfield with Ojo & Bryson in the two deeper berths (Ojo before McGeough, as the latter appeared more error prone), with Kennedy, Ferguson & McGinn ahead of them.  This is based on the assumption that Hayes will be playing at LB. 

If you're in to stats/analysis, I'm fairly sure Virtanen topped the majority, if not all, of the midfield rankings apart from goals/assists.
I'm terms of winning the ball/completing passes, he was one of the best CMs in the Championship last season.

Virtanen was absolutely superb for us, you’d have never thought he was in his first season of senior football. Strong in the tackle and with a decent range of passing, he was just as impressive (arguably more, and whilst playing at a higher level) as Scott Martin who we had on loan in League One, and has since been a regular for Hamilton. Won a good few MOTM awards over the course of the season, and picked up the club & supporters club YPOTY too. In January there were strong rumours McInnes wanted to recall him from his loan, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he featured for Aberdeen next season. If not, would absolutely love to have him back.