Dundee United 2014/15 Season

Darren Petrie to be released alongside Jamie Montgomery, Adam Harwood and Chris McLaughlin (link)

Was just away to post about that. Shame that he's not kicked on after the high hopes we had for him but I don't think he made another appearance for us after his debut on the same day Soapy made his and he hasn't seemed to particularly impress much in his latest loan spell at Dumbarton, especially in comparison to the likes of Scott Fraser out on loan a league below at Airdrie.

As for McNamara, I'm not one of those screaming for his head or refusing to renew their season ticket until he's gone. That said, I wouldn't complain if he were to leave in the summer either. Had it been all sunshine and smiles before we sold Mackay-Steven and Armstrong to Celtic then I'd feel a lot more sympathetic towards him. But we'd mostly been dreadful away from home this season and we were still sitting fourth and a decent bit off Celtic and Aberdeen (I think) in the league when we made those sales.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember reading somewhere that we were only 5 points off top and obviously in a cup final and still in the Scottish when they were sold, although I can't remember how reliable that is. I'd be very interested to know though.

I'm confident if we'd kept them we would have finished 3rd but I still don't think we would've lifted either trophy. Our away form left a lot to be desired but we were also top of the home table league as far as I can remember. Above Celtic and Aberdeen.

His home form with us was spectacular but the away form was ordinary. I think he's talented at developing players (O'Donnell, Taylor-Sinclair, Balatoni, Lawless etc. for us) but he's not the best tactician.

All the out of contractors should be punted (or will leave anyhow) from that list posted a few pages back. Butcher as a starting DM is not where we need to be. Petrie's been punted, so hopefully that means Fraser and Smith have something about them. Ranks and Pates are still under contract, so I'd be surprised to see another DM brought in, especially considering Souttar's good performances there recently.

Ciftci unsurprisingly plays a lot better with better players around him and he feels like he doesn't have to carry the weight of our performances solo, and it's easy to forget the impact he's had since his arrival, especially last season. 1.5m isn't unreasonable and I reckon he'd flourish at Celtic, assuming he also starts growing up.

EDIT: Daily Heil saying 1.5 million is for Ciftci AND Souttar :lol: Away and fcuk, cheers.

Dundee United assistant manager Simon Donnelly stressed he is unaware of any official approach from Celtic for striker Nadir Ciftci but admitted the speculation was far from welcome following the furore and fall-out from the January sale of Stuart Armstrong and Gary Mackay-Steven, acknowledging that the club would come under intense pressure to reject any bid. (The Scotsman)

Now can he convince Jackie and the chairman to say the same?

I don't think we need to worry, I'm fairly sure the club would stand resolute and make sure that we got the best value for two important players from the richest club in Scotland. Oh...

I'd rather we kept both but if they are to go then £1.5M seems a relatively fair price. Souttar's had a poor season (albeit partly due to injury) and Nadir's value must be undermined by the silliness and the fact that he'll be out of contract in a year.

Ideally United will be looking to tie down our better players on long term contracts again but if that can't be done then it's better if they're sold than for them to walk away for nothing in a year's time (or whenever Souttar's contract expires).

It will be a challenge motivating fans to part with their money but we are football fans and all go through periods of turmoil with our sides (Aberdeen have only recently found their mojo again in the last few years). You always hope that next season will be better and the blind optimist in me says it will be!

This is true. Have the prices been released yet? Much difference?

Frozen again. Plus i will get my wee man a season ticket for an under 12 for just £19 so thats a bonus

If we become debt free and have adequate replacements for the players leaving then such is life.

Starting to wonder what the longer term plan is here however.

Yes United can offer a platform for younger players to come in and win a move to a bigger club but that needs to be balanced with the realistic opportunity to win something.

We won't be that attractive a club to come to if we are languishing in the bottom half of the league.

We sell them 2 we can afford to pay off jackie and bring back Cathro lol, but if we do we will be lucky to get top 6 next year and will anger the fans even more by the choice of buying club yet again not good :(

Stay strong Thompson and sell to any club but Celtic and please dont sell Harry he needs game time here, him and Coote ive been wanting in our 1st team this season and would be a shame to see him leave without a senior game or 2

Archived