Top 5 BBC Sport related theme tunes

Cardinal Richelieu

That Indoor Sport is amazing. Real tears, no kidding.

It used to be broadcast at midweek lunchtimes in the mid 70's. I can remember nipping home from school for lunch and sticking the telly on to watch bar billiards and arm wrasslin'........those were t'days !

The Skittle play has deteriorated in the last minute or so. That's a better one... that's a flopper!

Actually crying here.

Soul Limbo for TMS I love. Nothing like tuning in to the radio in the middle of a miserable, cold, wet night and hearing that song before the coverage of the cricket in Brisbane or some equally tropical place.

Putting together a music round for a quiz... I'd forgotten how many classics there were out there...

5. Cricket - Terrible sport - cracking theme tune. Especially the opening bit that sounds a bit like crickets.

4. Snooker - Funky doesn't begin to describe it. This belong's in everyone's jazz-hole.

3. Grandstand - Just hearing this song evokes memories of Saturday afternoons watching cross-country championships and showjumping from Badminton.

2. Sportscene - I know I said BBC, but this is a classic. It would make someone who hates football tune in.

1. Ski Sunday - I don't think the number one could ever be in doubt. Put this on at a party and I can guarantee you everyone will be dancing and pretending to ski.

Post your own. The site I'm linking to has practically every telly programme in existence.

The only thing wrong with this is the order they are in.

1. Ski-ing

2. Cricket

3. Grandstand

4. Snooker

5. Sportscene

IMO

Grandstand is the best one, particularly the extended version. I'm biased towards the theme from the snooker as well as it was one of the first things I learned to play on the guitar :lol:

Never mind just sport, Grandstand is probably one of the finest themes anywhere. A fantastic piece of music. There's a brilliant live version of it on YouTube, with the composer Keith Mansfield actually playing.

1. Grandstand

2. Cricket

3. Wimbledon

4. Sportscene

5. Sports Report

Little known fact - Keith Mansfield also wrote the Wimbledon one.

Does anyone remember in the late 90's Friday sportscene (remember that) used to end with a goals montage from the following week, with a trendy wee guitar tune playing.

Was in the days before Shazam and never worked out what the tune was.

The best tune is definitely the chain by Fleetwood Mac, that guitar is absolutely incredible. 2nd is the snooker (drag race) 3rd is the golf which is epic. Then Wimbledo, then grandstand.

Does anyone remember in the late 90's Friday sportscene (remember that) used to end with a goals montage from the following week, with a trendy wee guitar tune playing.

Take it you mean previous week, or did everyone have a TARDIS or DeLorean?

Is it this one you're thinking of? I love this, a few years before my time, but what a theme! Dat bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6qlGUPHHUY

• 4 weeks later...

Archived