Killie going plastic?

Morton's groundsman on twitter has suggested that Killie have been given permission to lay a plastic pitch at Rugby Park for next season. I can't find anything online about it, other than some rumours that it was going to happen back in March.

Can any Killie fans confirm this?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will happen, whether in time for this coming season or next I'm not sure, but it's going to happen..

From yesterday's board meeting:

"Details of artificial pitch being installed are currently being reviewed. I have no news to report, other than confirm it will either be installed for this forthcoming season or next."

It will happen, whether in time for this coming season or next I'm not sure, but it's going to happen..

From yesterday's board meeting:

"Details of artificial pitch being installed are currently being reviewed. I have no news to report, other than confirm it will either be installed for this forthcoming season or next."

I can confirm this also from a good source.

I hope we do. It makes sense financially and hopefully will see some better football.

My only concern is that, in Scotland, having a plastic pitch makes you an uber-diddy. Hoping this doesn't impact on the type of players we can attract.

In ten years time I reckon those with grass pitches at their stadium will be in the minority in Scottish football.

It's the ultimate no brainer I think. You can make money from it 7 days a week, you can train on it negating the need for a seperate training facility and games won't get called off because it's unplayable (although it won't stop the police calling games off if it's a wee bit icy outside the ground). Despite the braindead arguments of 'it's not grass' and other associated lies (the ball bounces differently! that never, ever, ever happen on grass pitches at all, ever! you get more injuries on them and no one ever gets injured on grass and if you get injured on an artifical pitch then it's 100% the fault of the pitch regardless of what happens! etc etc) from the pathetic morons in the media, the pitches are absolutely fine to play on (see the game at Hamilton the other night for example).

With clubs desperate for other sources of income and with a break and subsequent drop in income postponed games can bring about, why is there even a question over them?

Sportsound mentioned Killie going plastic before last Sunday's Hamilton v Falkirk game, when discussing the artificial surfaces they both play on, and the income it provides. Whilst preferring grass, artificial turf commercially is an absolute no brainer.

I hope we do. It makes sense financially and hopefully will see some better football.

My only concern is that, in Scotland, having a plastic pitch makes you an uber-diddy. Hoping this doesn't impact on the type of players we can attract.

Just flat out lie about it. Tell prospective players that it is grass. It will pass a visual test at the very least. Or you could just throw a big cover over the pitch if a prospective player is at the stadium.

Just flat out lie about it. Tell prospective players that it is grass. It will pass a visual test at the very least. Or you could just throw a big cover over the pitch if a prospective player is at the stadium.

Or just get some freshly cut grass and sprinkle it over the plastic stuff, then tell the player to give it a sniff and dare him to say it's not grass!

Or just get some freshly cut grass and sprinkle it over the plastic stuff, then tell the player to give it a sniff and dare him to say it's not grass!

I like the way you think.

(although it won't stop the police calling games off if it's a wee bit icy outside the ground)

That annoys the fcuk out of me. Paid for a hotel and transport for a Falkirk cup game in Aberdeen a couple of years ago. Union Street was treacherous, ice everywhere. All the shops, pubs and restaurants were open though. Pittodrie was fine, pitch and stands given the ok, but because of a few slippery pavements outside they called it off. W*nkers.

A phenomenal move from the club.

We currently train in Glasgow, paying Glasgow Uni for the privilege of using Garscube. With the proposed synthetic surface, we can train in Kilmarnock where we should be. We'll have access to the hotel (for catering), the gym, and the suites within in the stadium/hotel (Park Suite e.g) providing the team with everything that we currently pay GU a small fortune for.

That's a huge benefit straight away, without taking into account the added finance we can get from letting the facilities out to local boys clubs/junior clubs etc. The quality these days will be top-notch, and plenty of people are too put off by the Dunfermline shambles back in the day. "It doesn't play like grass" they'll say. Aye, it won't - it'll actually run true all year round, unaffected by weather. The myth that grass is best will no doubt be perpetuated by the media full of dinosauric pundits, terrified of change, but the sensible people in football will know that this makes sense for all Scottish clubs outside of the Old Firm.

In ten years time I reckon those with grass pitches at their stadium will be in the minority in Scottish football.

It's the ultimate no brainer I think. You can make money from it 7 days a week, you can train on it negating the need for a seperate training facility and games won't get called off because it's unplayable (although it won't stop the police calling games off if it's a wee bit icy outside the ground). Despite the braindead arguments of 'it's not grass' and other associated lies (the ball bounces differently! that never, ever, ever happen on grass pitches at all, ever! you get more injuries on them and no one ever gets injured on grass and if you get injured on an artifical pitch then it's 100% the fault of the pitch regardless of what happens! etc etc) from the pathetic morons in the media, the pitches are absolutely fine to play on (see the game at Hamilton the other night for example).

With clubs desperate for other sources of income and with a break and subsequent drop in income postponed games can bring about, why is there even a question over them?

How do you make money out of it 7 days a week, out of interest?

Archived