Killie going plastic?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Confirmed by the club.

Yasssss!

http://www.kilmarnockfc.co.uk/articles/20140606/new-fifa-and-irb-compliant-3g-pitch-to-be-installed-at-rugby-park_85961_3885684

The Board of Directors is delighted to confirm that there will be a top quality 3G pitch installed at Rugby Park over the close season. Work will commence on 9th June.

Funding will be provided by Billy Bowie Special Projects Limited and owner Billy Bowie stated: "I'm fully committed to making this project happen as soon as possible in order to make Rugby Park the focus of all of the club's activities. ‎This will transform the way the stadium is utilised in future and will be of real benefit to everyone associated with the club."

Chairman Michael Johnston observed: "The first team squad will be based at Rugby Park in future, having previously trained at the Glasgow University Sports Campus, and our youth teams will train and play on the new 3G pitch.

The club's Community Department will host a full range of courses and activities at Rugby Park and we expect to ‎add more cup finals and other sports events to the limited number which we can accommodate at present.

In short, Rugby Park will become a seven day per week facility‎ and the hub for all of the club's activities. The team will be reunited with the town it represents and the club's supporters will enjoy greater contact with the players and team management. Open training sessions will become a regular event.

This project would not be possible without Billy Bowie's ‎financial support and every supporter owes him a debt of gratitude and respect. If those who can afford to do so invest in a season ticket, that will be the recognition his generosity deserves and it will assist the club in squad building for next season."

Team manager Allan Johnston is fully supportive of the move to 3G and commented: "This is a fantastic step by the club and the prospect of training and playing at Rugby Park is really exciting for everyone associated with the first team squad. Having our own training base and using a top quality surface with consistent characteristics all year round will be much better for the players."

Alan McLeish, Managing Director of Kilmarnock FC sponsor the QTS Group said: "Rugby Park has always been regarded as having one of the best playing surfaces in Scottish football and the club are confident that reputation will be maintained with the move to the FieldTurf system which has been used at the top level throughout Europe. The finances of the modern game are such that the ability to maximise revenue around every element of the football club is hugely important and this is a significant step forward for Kilmarnock."

0,,10291~12886727,00.jpg

Market leader, Field Turf, is the supplier of the 3G pitch‎ and their Edinburgh based Sales Director Paul Fraser expressed his delight at being selected in the face of stiff competition following an exhaustive tendering process:

"I am absolutely thrilled to be working with Kilmarnock Football Club on this exciting project. Being an avid Scottish football supporter, it is fantastic news that Rugby Park will be host to one of the most high tech synthetic turf systems in the industry. We have worked tirelessly to produce high performance systems which are loved by clubs and players across the globe and from our first discussions with the Club, it was clear that only the highest quality synthetic turf would be considered, and rightly so. We are therefore delighted to be providing Kilmarnock with our Vertex system and we look forward to a successful partnership."

Scotland's only FIFA accredited independent consultants, Sports Labs, will oversee the project ‎and test the pitch to ensure compliance with FIFA 2 Star and International Rugby Board criteria. Managing Director Eric O'Donnell commented:

"We'll monitor each step of the installation process and ensure technical compliance to the highest standards as required by FIFA and the IRB in order to deliver a top class facility to Kilmarnock FC."

Main contract‎or Allsports Construction & Maintenance have vast experience in this field having just completed an indoor 3G facility at Inverclyde, following seven stadium 3G installations in recent years. Managing Director Gordon Thompson said:

"I'm delighted to be involved in this prestigious project. This will be a superb facility for Kilmarnock FC. I have been personally involved in almost three hundred 3G pitch installations over 18 years and will bring all of my expertise to bear on making sure Kilmarnock FC has a pitch to be proud of."

Footnote:

Kilmarnock Choose FieldTurf

FieldTurf is delighted to have been selected as the synthetic turf system to be installed at Rugby Park this summer; home of SPFL Club Kilmarnock FC.

Throughout the last two decades, FieldTurf has succeeded in delivering high-performance synthetic turf systems which have been chosen by some of the biggest Clubs around the world. Having been designated the official synthetic turf supplier to FC Barcelona, and working in close partnership with other clubs such as Ajax, Arsenal, Schalke and Olympique Lyonnais among others, FieldTurf is best placed to provide Kilmarnock with the very best in synthetic turf technology.

FieldTurf, a FIFA Preferred Producer, will work in partnership with installation experts Allsports, who themselves have delivered numerous synthetic turf stadia projects across Scotland to convert Rugby Park into one of the most advanced synthetic turf fields on the market. FieldTurf's 'Vertex' system has been engineered to deliver world-class performance and unrivalled technical properties with optimum ball roll, reduced infill splash and enhanced infill encapsulation. Vertex meets the most advanced level of FIFA technical performance - the 3G system features a unique dual fiber technology and a mixture of sand and sbr infill materials.

FieldTurf is the world's leading company in synthetic turf innovation with more than 8,000 sports fields across the globe. FieldTurf belongs to Tarkett Sports, the sports division of the Tarkett Group.
With technical expertise and manufacturing plants around the world, the company produces a far - reaching range of artificial turf, designed to meet all the various needs and standards across a range of sport governing bodies (FIFA, IRB, FIH, ITF, etc)

paul.fraser@tarkett.com
www.fieldturf.com

Should be good news for us. An extra income source and a surface which will be consistent throughout the season.

Not only an extra income source, but money saved in not having to rent out the facilities at GU. Open training sessions too, which should help bring the club closer to the community.

That's true. I remember my dad taking me down to watch training a couple of times when we were in the area and Killie used to train where the hotel is.

The pitch there used to be great. I grew up on Scott Road about 2 minutes walk from Rugby Park and that used to be the park that me and my mates played on at weekends/nights etc. Felt great as a kid playing where you knew your clubs players had trained earlier that day.

How rich is Billy Bowie though btw...

Looks like we might not be far behind you, would be delighted if we followed suit!

http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/ICT-giving-serious-thought-to-artificial-surface-05062014.htm

It's the logical step for all clubs of our size. Hopefully Rugby Park works out well and more clubs feel inclined to follow suit.

Rather fortunate for Killie from a press seethe point of view that Celtic have sign a manager who is accustomed to playing on artificial pitches as they are becoming the standard in the Norwegian premier. It reduces the stigma somewhat, that and Accies also having astro.

Conceivably in a few years 8 of the current League could have astro pitches. Aberdeen and Celtic probably consider themselves too big and Tannadice and Fir Park would need a lot of remedial work to get a flat surface for an artificial pitch. If the financial side holds up then it makes sense for the other 6 clubs to do it.

Rather fortunate for Killie from a press seethe point of view that Celtic have sign a manager who is accustomed to playing on artificial pitches as they are becoming the standard in the Norwegian premier. It reduces the stigma somewhat, that and Accies also having astro.

Conceivably in a few years 8 of the current League could have astro pitches. Aberdeen and Celtic probably consider themselves too big and Tannadice and Fir Park would need a lot of remedial work to get a flat surface for an artificial pitch. If the financial side holds up then it makes sense for the other 6 clubs to do it.

I think installing a plastic pitch at Tannadice would be nigh-on impossible.

Archived