Killie going plastic?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

International rugby already agreed for as we are having the extra impact layer installed. Not a huge fan of the non-hybrid variety but I see the reasoning behind it and can't fault the club for trying to find a cash revenue stream to replace the hotel in more ways than one. It's a shame it has come to this really, in the ideal world we would be playing on grass pitches and we would be doing it in summer. Yes, I know it rains in summer as well but you don't get frozen pitches then or frozen footprints around stadiums. Scottish football's reluctance to accept that as the most northerly country who have a winter season we will always have such problems is going to force more club's to do the same, get used to it.

International rugby already agreed for as we are having the extra impact layer installed. Not a huge fan of the non-hybrid variety but I see the reasoning behind it and can't fault the club for trying to find a cash revenue stream to replace the hotel in more ways than one. It's a shame it has come to this really, in the ideal world we would be playing on grass pitches and we would be doing it in summer. Yes, I know it rains in summer as well but you don't get frozen pitches then or frozen footprints around stadiums. Scottish football's reluctance to accept that as the most northerly country who have a winter season we will always have such problems is going to force more club's to do the same, get used to it.

As far as I am aware the Football Club still own a share in the hotel with a view to purchase more in the future as and when finance allows.

Just had a look at the web site of the manufacturers who laid our pitch, Tiger Turf. Similar to Killie it is 3G suitable for both rugby and football.

There's a 4G pitch in Kilwinning I believe, I'm sure there's more places around Scotland but that's the only one I know of.

Not true, if they are claiming its 4g they're wrong/lying. 4g(and any higher claims) is essentially a marketing ploy "our pitch is soo amazing it should be called 4g"

Sometimes company's (probably deliberately) confuse by saying the pitch is the 4th generation of 3G.

Not true, if they are claiming its 4g they're wrong/lying. 4g(and any higher claims) is essentially a marketing ploy "our pitch is soo amazing it should be called 4g"

Sometimes company's (probably deliberately) confuse by saying the pitch is the 4th generation of 3G.

Ahh I guess that would explain it! It's an amazing pitch but aye you'll be right about them saying it should be 4G :lol:

every1 kens grass is the only surface tae play proper fitba oan, shid no b aloud astroturf. gonna be hunners a injuries.

I'll gloss over your horrible nedspeak, and point out that RP, in common with Fir Park (sorry, 'Well fans, but it's an obvious one) has seen plenty of games contested on surfaces which could in no way be described as "grass". Whether it's the USH or the lack of light from the new stands, RP's pitch has been a poor imitation of the ground where i watched McLean. Provan, McDicken, Fallis and Bourke strut their stuff.

There isn't anything above 3G

So doesn't 3G stand for 3rd generation yet you say 4G doesn't exist as that is just the 4th generation of 3g (4th generation of 3rd generation !!!!!) Confusing

From the web a bit clearer and yes 4G and above are marketing speak

What is the difference in 3G, 4G, 5G, 6G synthetic artificial pitches? That is a very good question to ask and basically in a nutshell you will get many varied answers because within the UK many suppliers, contractors and installers claim to have the latest innovation of sports surfaces.

3G sports pitches are a sand / rubber granule filled carpet with varied pile heights from 32mm – 65mm and the difference in height is to get the playing characteristics for the primary sport. If the primary sport is to be FIH hockey then a 32mm high or 40mm high carpet fibre is specified but if the primary sport is rugby league or rugby union then a longer grass is required to comfort the fall on the players. Too meet IRB or RFU in general the pile height is usually 60mm high or 65mm in height.

Surely if Killie are laying a pitch suitable for International rubgy the pile will be very long (60-65mm) for football ?

The pitch Killie are laying is the most advanced pitch available for outside football. I prefer grass if it's perfect but that seldom happens during a football season. Does anyone know if our opponents are allowed a training session on our pitch now prior to us playing? I think that was once the case but not sure if it still is.

The pitch Killie are laying is the most advanced pitch available for outside football. I prefer grass if it's perfect but that seldom happens during a football season. Does anyone know if our opponents are allowed a training session on our pitch now prior to us playing? I think that was once the case but not sure if it still is.

Are you saying 3G is the most advanced pitch available?

:lol::lol::lol:

trust me its 3G..............

1G - Nylon short pile only no infill. - Houston Astro Dome.

2G - Polyprop/Polyeth short pile carpets filled with Sand - Loftus Road

3G - Polyprop/Polyeth long (40 - 65mm) pile carpts with Sand and rubber filled (among others, cork, cocnut husk, TPE EPDM, LFR,......the list goes on)

4G - Unfilled Long pile - this has beend eveloped by many but always fail to pass the FIFA requirements for various tests such as skin friction, traction among others. It will come one day but no one has it yet. Its like the holly Grail as the cost would drop signifcantly with no infill materials required.

If its got rubber pelets its 3G. simples.

As someone has said there has been different versions of 3G system, i think currently FIFA have around 1300 3G system registered. all different slightly.

the difference between Falkrik and QoS is that the backing and yarn is woven (old technoogy re worked) and Killies is needle punched (most common) for example.

the difference between Broadwood and Excelsior is the type of shockpad, turf is exactly the same.

Archived