Killie going plastic?

I definitely think we are living in a period of Scottish football that will see more clubs go down the plastic pitch route. I remain unconvinced that this period in our history will see plastic win the day and grass pitches will slowly disappear, with clubs like Celtic also getting them in big stadiums that regularly host European football. I don't think plastic is the VHS of the pitch world, and grass the Betamax. (Apologies to younger readers).

I don't know how others viewed it, but in watching both Hibs v Accies games, I think Accies loved being on an excellent Easter Road grass surface. They zipped that ball about and their passing and movement really impressed me. A far cry from what I remember seeing from Billy Reid sides.

Admittedly, I do not see Accies regularly. I understand the commercial attraction of plastic, but for top end professionals, I genuinely believe they play better on grass surfaces. I see fantastic top end surfaces like The Emirates, Anfield and indeed Celtic Park, and I cannot see plastic becoming the accepted norm' in top flight football.

Our own groundsman Tommy Docherty has won awards for our pitch, the Scotland U21s home is our midden, and I wouldn't want us to go plastic. I see the attraction, I understand the desire for clubs to do it, I just don't think it will become the dominant surface. Time will tell I guess.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They take about 6 to 8 weeks to be put together as far as I know! There were three other 3gs in Dumfries and Galloway! Newton Stewart, St Cuthbert Wanderers and Stranraer Academy all got them and they all took about 6 weeks! But they all have fences round them so the one at Killie will no doubt take less time! Plastic is definitely a better surface but it's harder to play on as you need to be stronger and fitter! And on a wet day on one o these pitches you passes and shots and all that need to be absolutely perfect or it'll run a mile away! But they are defo the way to go!

They take about 6 to 8 weeks to be put together as far as I know! There were three other 3gs in Dumfries and Galloway! Newton Stewart, St Cuthbert Wanderers and Stranraer Academy all got them and they all took about 6 weeks! But they all have fences round them so the one at Killie will no doubt take less time! Plastic is definitely a better surface but it's harder to play on as you need to be stronger and fitter! And on a wet day on one o these pitches you passes and shots and all that need to be absolutely perfect or it'll run a mile away! But they are defo the way to go!

Utter nonsense!

Shall we ask Arsene Wenger if he'd rather his team play on the grass of the Emirates, or a plastic pitch instead?

I've never played on a hybrid pitch, so can't comment on them, but plastic is still miles behind grass - one day, maybe, but not yet!

Utter nonsense!

Shall we ask Arsene Wenger if he'd rather his team play on the grass of the Emirates, or a plastic pitch instead?

I've never played on a hybrid pitch, so can't comment on them, but plastic is still miles behind grass - one day, maybe, but not yet!

The Emirates is a hybrid though. Best of both worlds really, but out of the equation for most Scottish clubs.

I definitely think we are living in a period of Scottish football that will see more clubs go down the plastic pitch route. I remain unconvinced that this period in our history will see plastic win the day and grass pitches will slowly disappear, with clubs like Celtic also getting them in big stadiums that regularly host European football. I don't think plastic is the VHS of the pitch world, and grass the Betamax. (Apologies to younger readers).

Given the choice I imagine almost every lower-league club would go 3G if they could get the money together and local arrangements allowed.

In the case of Berwick, for example, it's not practical for us to have an artifical pitch on Shielfield because of the speedway: dust or gravel can be thrown from the track onto the pitch, which isn't very good for a plastic surface, and if a rider skids onto the pitch then obviously that would cause damage. But our Board has tentative plans for a new stadium and it's been clear from the outset that if it ever comes to light it will have an artificial pitch.

My prediction for the future is that come the end of the decade it will be more common for all part-time clubs and smaller professional clubs to have an artificial pitch than grass. And in some cases that'll be out of necessity rather than choice, e.g. due to a track or because the general stadium is too decrepit to permit community 3G facilities without significant additional expenditure.

Places like Hampden and the stadiums of the biggest city clubs are less likely to go plastic as their turnover is greater, and therefore incomes from 3G rental would be less significant, and since there'll still be a prestige associated with maintaining and using a top-quality grass park.

Killie can take their plastic pitch and away and f**k. Shouldn't be allowed. They'll have a woeful team so need to find another means to gain victory.

I always wondered why people called you a walloper. Now I know.

The Emirates is a hybrid though. Best of both worlds really, but out of the equation for most Scottish clubs.

IIRC most of the stadia in the EPL have hybrid pitches. The percentage of artificial fibres can vary. Wembley installed a hybrid pitch after numerous grass pitches cut up and had to be relaid at enormous cost.

IIRC most of the stadia in the EPL have hybrid pitches. The percentage of artificial fibres can vary. Wembley installed a hybrid pitch after numerous grass pitches cut up and had to be relaid at enormous cost.

We installed a hybrid pitch last summer at Pittodrie after the disgraceful state of our pitch in 2012/13 (wrecked it allowing rugby on it and playing St Johnstone a few days before Christmas 2012 in torrential rain).

The pitch improved immeasurably with the hybrid surface. I believe we installed something approaching a 50/50 pitch and the surface was superb up to and including the final day.

Killie can take their plastic pitch and away and f**k. Shouldn't be allowed. They'll have a woeful team so need to find another means to gain victory.

So Killie gain an advantage when teams visit Rugby Park aye? Right, I'll give you that - there might be slightly favourable odds on us because of the surface.

My biggest worry though is how much it will cost to transport our pitch to every away ground before a match. Time, expense and hard work.

Oh hold on, naw. We'll be at a slight disadvantage at every away ground we visit because we'll be more used to our synthetic surface and our opponents will always be on grass. So any 'advantage' has disappeared. Ya clueless half-wit.

In an ideal world, I'd like to keep the grass. In fact, in an ideal world, I'd like to go back to the days where we had the best pitch in the country - the times when Killie were on BBC and ITV because we were the only club to have a playable pitch some winters.

Unfortunately, the world is far from ideal, so financial consideration comes to the fore, and makes the artificial option more viable. I suppose we'll have to get used to it. Please God that finances don't dictate we do a half-arsed job, mind - I can cope with the idea of an artificial pitch if the surface is consistent and the bounce true. Knowing Johnston, he'll staple some of that greengrocer's fake grass over a load of builder's sand.

Archived