Killie going plastic?

There's talk that if this goes through for Kilmarnock then Thistle will take over the deal with Glasgow Uni for Garscube so hopefully it happens.

Currently the club trains at the Firhill complex on certain days which isn't big enough for the entire squad plus u20s and then have to go anywhere that'll take them on the days they can't book the complex. It seems a bit amateur for this level.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that these artificial pitches deteriorate relatively quickly with constant use? If you are going to be training and playing on it you are going to have to make a fortune from renting it out in free times. I don't know the figures for relaying a new pitch but does it not cost an absolute fortune?

How do you make money out of it 7 days a week, out of interest?

Renting it out to local sports clubs (football, rugby), schools, junior football sides etc.

In the winter months especially there may be other pro-clubs that will want to train there too if the prices are competitive, what with the hotel/gym etc all attached. We're only a 40 minute or so drive from plenty of sides.

As someone said though, there will be deterioration so seven days a week might be too much. But you could realistically rent it out for 3 nights a week and make a substantial profit. Especially with the initial cost and upkeep being heavily subsidised by the council.

Stealing our crown eh?

Will need some effort to beat ours.

I haven't seen the pitches at queen of the south or hamilton(well I saw that on tv) which are meant to be of similar standard but even as a pars fan it was near impossible to think the surface at Falkirk isn't of an excellent standard, even my dad who has been less than complementary of other plastic pitches said it was a good surface.

This article on stenhousemuir pretty much covers why 3G is very appealing to clubs

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/pitchequip/cs_stenhousemuir_37445.pdf

I believe they are laying a new pitch this summer which would be right on schedule.

The income the pitches generate is obviously going to mean more to smaller clubs than larger ones but then the larger clubs lose more cash from postponed games, they are also better suited to pay all the cost themselves meaning they can have more control over how the pitch is used, and ultimately more profit, if that's what they want to pursue.

Genuine question....does a plastic pitch do away with need for an under pitch heating system?

There isn't an USH requirement in SPFL, just "pitch protection".

Clubs just have to demonstrate their 3G, tent, covers, whatever are adequate.

What's the script with the hybrid surfaces they've got at e.g. Wembley and soon to go at Murrayfield. Would it be a better alternative or are they seriously expensive?

They seem to provide the best playing surface, however I see no reason why anybody in Scotland would install one barring Celtic possibly.

Expensive and they provide no chance for the club to gain income from them , going down that route is almost the exact opposite to the 3G route, to install a hybrid pitch is to prioritise the playing surface regardless of the expense, 3G is used to bring income into the club, as well as other benefits.

The pitch at Falkirk is by far the best I've seen .

The one laid at Palmerston just last year has never been quite right and only yesterday they started ripping it up as the company who laid it have agreed to ' upgrade ' at already - basically they fucked up ;)

We've been promised it'll be the best in the land when finished :)

This is the way Scottish football will have to go.

Ross County paid £330,000 for the pitch they laid this season whereas we paid £440,000 for out synthetic one which will last at least 7-10 years and is being used every day.

Plastic is fantastic.

Plus ours is the best in all the land and with the blue outline is also the smartest.

post-12513-14011777308553_thumb.jpg

The pitch at Falkirk is by far the best I've seen .

The one laid at Palmerston just last year has never been quite right and only yesterday they started ripping it up as the company who laid it have agreed to ' upgrade ' at already - basically they fucked up ;)

We've been promised it'll be the best in the land when finished :)

Yeah the one at Falkirk is the best. Seen Hamilton's (before they ripped it up) and Alloa's too back in the day and both looked fine.

Queen of the South's pitch was one of the worst I've seen- it looked awful, all patchy so good to hear they have started to improve it.

I can't see us moving from Grass. We don't really need to and the grass pitch is of a reasonable quality.

Genuine question....does a plastic pitch do away with need for an under pitch heating system?

Aye, cos ye'll melt it. Seriously, tho', I walked out onto Airdrie's pitch last year, and didn't realise I was walking on plastic until I was told. We're now at 4G I believe, and though the ball does bounce differently from grass, you don't get the carpet burns from it the way you used to. (founder member of the Alex Beckett Slide-Tackle Guild)

I doubt we'll be going to plastic anytime soon after putting in a new sprinkler system under the pitch.

That is one of the most important requiments if you have plastic. It needs an excellent sprinkler system as it requires watering for up to 2 hours before use.

Got mates that play juniors who say the one at Largs is outstanding.

Cost a pretty penny mind you, but the best surfaces are almost no different to playing on grass, which isn't without its own problems - Ross county would have won the 2-2 game if the ball hadn't got stuck in the goalmouth mud.

Archived